Running shoes heavy woman to start running?

Options
I have a treadmill that I am going to start to use. I may eventually walk outside once this over 113+ Arizona heat subsides (its killer). But I know that there are shoes out there that are better for a person who is heavy and just starting. I remember reading them in previous issues of Shape and Prevention but simply can't recall.
Does anyone have any suggestions (I know that I can go someplace to have them look at my gait, etc) but for now just want to get and start. Any helpful suggestions would be so much appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'd go and get fitted - that's what I did and I notice a BIG BIG difference. There might be shoes for heavier people but you don't know your arch support, etc, etc yet.
  • sabrinakym
    sabrinakym Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like the Ryka shoes. They fit well, are light wt, and have lasted. :smile:
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    starting with the right shoe makes a huge difference. and when i went to fleet feet they didnt make any difference between weight size. it was more about proper support to prevent injury.

and price wise you're not looking at a huge difference in what you pay for shoes unless you're buying cheap cheap shoes from payless or walmart and trying to run in them (which is asking for issues). the consultation part is free.

*btw not sure if you're a morning person, but i like 4- 6 am for outside run/walking..... in tucson*
  • MsAmulet
    MsAmulet Posts: 36
    Options
    The best shoes are those that are comfortable to you. I'm heavier (216lbs) and planning a 5K in Oct. I like New Balance shoes -- there is a great study out there (done by the military) showing that picking shoes based on arch, pronation, etc, etc doesn't actually HELP and in many cases HURTS instead.. so try on lots and go from there. And replace regularly because the cushioning does get worn out. :happy:
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    The best shoes for you are the ones you've been properly fitted for at a reputable running store. Go and get fitted for your gait and size. The salesperson will have you try on several pairs as well as have you run in them, too. You'll either run on a treadmill or in their parking lot.

I can't emphasize the importance of getting properly fitted.

While you're at the store (not typically found in the mall), get some good wick away socks. I prefer Zulu, but there are many from which to choose.

Good luck.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fit. If its a good store they will assess your gait and recommend shoes from there.

But the best advice I ever got was from a friend who is a multi-marathoner and an amazing runner and she said, just go with what is comfortable. They should feel good.

That helped because when I went for my fitting they had me in super stabalizers and they felt like rocks under my feet. But I bought them because that's what they told me to do. After talking to my friend, I went and got another pair based solely on comfort and those are the ones I choose to wear when I am running or walking.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    What stores could you get properly fitted at? Every store I've been to I've never heard this offered :/
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Go to roadrunnersports.com and they have an online way to help you pick shoes - it will ask you for some information and then give you which shoes would be best for you. It's pretty neat. I just bought Brooks Glycerin 9's and a pair of Nike Pegasus 28 - love them both; probably the Brooks a bit more (and the price is reflective of that), but I run outside.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and recnetly started running. I know it's best to go get fitted, but I don't have it in my budget right now. While I'm saving money to get fitted (cuz I know it ain't cheap), I'm just wearing a pair of runners I got at my local Achademy. They have pretty good cushion and I haven't had any problems with shin splints, etc.
  • BarreGirl
    BarreGirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that you MUST get fit at a running store (NOT ****'s Sports, etc) and they can give you options. I was presented with three options and ended up with the Mizuno Wave Runner shoes. Brooks and Saucony also have great shoes that are light, but very supportive. In addition to our weight, they also take into account how you actually MOVE - which is very important when selecting a running shoe.

Some people run on the insoles of their feet, etc. We all cannot stress enough the importance of a good fit.

My shoes were $110 for perspective, but most run anywhere from $50 up.

Also, mention that you are on a budget, they'll give you affordable options. You can also usually save a substantial part of the cost by buying them online.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    What stores could you get properly fitted at? Every store I've been to I've never heard this offered :/

You need to Google or let you fingers do the walking in your Yellow Pages. They're usually small and independently owned.
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I just went to Kohl's with a 30% off coupon. I tried on 10 pair of shoes - all Nikes. I have always worn Nikes because I have flat feet and their arches are sturdy. When I tried on the dual fusion, I thought I was wearing my bedroom slippers with an arch support! They were such a perfect fit! The problem was that they were ugly. Then I found out they were men's! So I found the women's version that was nearly as ugly. I was determined to have these shoes so I kept looking at all the boxes until I found some dual fusion in gray with some blues and pinks on them. They are so nice that my daughter,15, want to take them as her P.E. shoes! :noway:

Then when I got them home, I did an internet search for the best running shoes for flat feet. This shoe was on the LIST!

So. The moral of my story is that you just need to go out and try them on until one just feels too good to leave behind. The Dual Fusion Nikes were listed at $78, on sale for $65, and after the 30% discount, they cost around $45. BUT don't be afraid to leave the store empty handed. You can probably get whatever shoes online for a considerably lower price. I'm going to look online for a pair like mine for my daughter today. I don't want to pay $45 twice!

Good Luck.

You can also do a search using your magazine source and a few key words to help you find the ones they had recommended.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Getting fitted is the best way. Any store that specializes in running will do it. I you refuse to get fitted, for whatever reason, make sure you get your foot properly sized and find a shoe of the correct width and support.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Go to roadrunnersports.com and they have an online way to help you pick shoes - it will ask you for some information and then give you which shoes would be best for you. It's pretty neat. I just bought Brooks Glycerin 9's and a pair of Nike Pegasus 28 - love them both; probably the Brooks a bit more (and the price is reflective of that), but I run outside.

If you don't want to go to a specialty running store that does gait analysis, then do this. It will help to determine what kind of arch you have and then you can buy shoes accordingly. You could get lucky and get a shoe that works for you based off of recommendations, but to increase your odds at success, I would do some research online.
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    On my treadmill at home, I just just go barefoot. Never liked shoes and socks anyway. I've got some pretty thick soles on my feet now, but they are happy feet and don't smell either. I have better form that way two.

Only challenge is that if I try to increase my speed too quickly the belt gets hot and so my feet get a little toasty, but at slower speeds or if I increase gradually it isn't a problem.

I keep a thing of Clorox wipes next to the machine to wipe it down with when I'm done.