Hypothyroid question

Options
I was diagnosed about 6 months ago with hypothyroidism. My TSH levels are not crazy off but enough so that my endocrinologist put me on 50mcg of synthroid. I wouldn't say that I've felt a big difference in how I feel after starting to take it, but my doctor like where my levels were after a month on synthroid.

However over the past few weeks I have been feeling super sluggish, tired all the time, and i can't seen to get any good sleep. I have an appointment with my endo on Wednesday.

My question is, for anyone who is hypothyroid, how long did it take till you got on the right dose of synthroid? Or how often did you have to increase your dose of synthroid?

Thanks in advance for responding!!

Replies

• ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Synthroid ALWAYS made me feel worse than if I never took meds at all! I can't stand synthroid. Thankfully, after some trial and error and many doctors, found one who was willing to put me on Armour. Man! My energy came back, less mood swings and less hair falling out.

I hope you find the right dosage and medication that works for you. Don't be afraid to speak up about trying a different medication if you feel synthroid is making you feel worse. Best of luck
  • debknits1
    debknits1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am cringing as I tell you this, but...............I still am not on the correct levels and have been on Levothyroxin for 7 years. I get tested and levels are low so they amend the dosage, next time, they are high and again, dosage is amended. Back and forth, back and forth.:cry:
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    for many people, it may never permanently stabilize, my doctor described my thyroid once as 'slowly pooping out' I get my levels checked every 3 months and once or twice a year they increase my dose.
  • kllyeve
    kllyeve Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Check out your cortisol levels, estrogen levels, and Ferritin( storage iron) levels - if any of these are out of whack, the thyroid hormones do not work as well as they are supposed to.

And track your symptoms, they are sometimes a more accurate measure of adequate treatment. I feel better when my TSH is under 1, yet the doctors don't like my TSH that low as they are taught that a TSH that low means you are getting too much. Yet my T3 levels are much better at this level of replacement.

My sister is doing Armour and feels much better on that. I am working on getting my estrogen levels under control before makng the switch.

Everyone is different, I feel better at my replacement levels, but that may not be what you need.
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    With Hashimotos thyroiditis, your levels of meds will need to continually increase, as the nature of the disease is gradual destruction of the thyroid. (Mine are increased at practically every 6 month appt.) With simple hypothryoidism, it may be more murky and unstable.

My doc say the generic form of Synthroid doesn't work as well as the brand name, so make sure you get the original. Also, I asked my doc if I could also have an RX for synthetic T3, as I'd read that form of thyroid supplement gave people more energy. I take 5 mcg of that (Liothyronine) each morning, and it really makes a difference in energy levels. (If I skip it, I can tell.)

Here's another thread that might help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/631309-anyone-with-hypothyroidism-or-hashimoto-s-thyroiditis
  • mlanggin88
    mlanggin88 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have litterally had no thyroid since I was at the age of 2 weeks. The doctors performed so many test and scans since I was in infant and have come to a conclusion that I physically have no thyroid. The only way to confirm would be surgery. Since I can remeber I have taken synthroid and had no problems with it. Once I became pregnant with my first child my levels were through the roof and we could not get them to calm down. Through two pregnancies I have had high levels and came to find out that my prenatal was causing the medicine to not work at all. Since I have found the root of the high level Ihave seemed to keep it at normal with my dosage at .200mcg. I am thinking about changing too, but want to wait and see if it's not my weight making me tired! Just keep taking your meds with at least 4 hours of other meds or vitamins and you should see some stability. Eventually you will need to raise the meds as you get older!
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just got back from my thyroid doc appt., and will have to amend what I just posted above. ;)

I've lost 15 pounds in the 2 months since my last appt., and apparently, my thyroid levels are now too high. So...if you are hypo, and in a weight loss program, it may affect your dosage levels even if you have Hashimotos--something I hadn't thought of. My Synthroid (T4), for the first time, has now been reduced--from 125mcg to 112mcg.

Cytomel (Liothyronine) is still at 5mcg...since that one (T3) is the RX that gives me acceptable energy levels. (As I understand it, Armour has both T4 and T3 in it, which is probably why a lot of people feel better on it than just Synthroid.)