pre workout meal

Options
this might belong in another topic but could be half and half

any ideas of a pre workout meal, i dont think i am eating enough to provide me the energy for my workouts

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You should always state the type of workout because that makes a difference in our suggestions. Try either 2 tbl of honey or 2 cups of chocolate milk. Either should get you thru without hurting your stomach during a strenuous workout.
  • Michael1307
    Options
    sorry I should have mentioned it. its the les mills body attack

thanks
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have an orange before I work out
  • kfrewin1982
    kfrewin1982 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I do Body Attack I have pasta for lunch (about 12.30ish) and then about an hour I do the class I have a banana. The class starts at 17.45

I wore a heart rate monitor for a couple of classes and in 45 minutes I was burning between 650 and 700 calories so I need the carbs to get me through :)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i aim for carbs and protein (around equal parts) about 2hrs before i train and usually low in fat.. protein shakes are good and some fruit.
  • TravisRichardson
    Options
    Carbs. but the good kind. IE peanut butter or peanuts so you have more energy and like others have said protein shake with the carbs and one after while your body recovers.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i aim for carbs and protein (around equal parts) about 2hrs before i train and usually low in fat..

agreed
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Usually a good serving of complex carbs is what I do. I don't have a specific pre-workout regimen, but I usually end up lifting after my first meal. I eat 1/2 c of cooked rolled oats with 5 egg whites and 1 large egg. I eat protein with every meal, so this amount of protein really has nothing to do with my workout. I also eat about 2-3 hours out if it's a big meal. For HIIT, mostly carbs and a good deal before a workout. If you're lacking energy after doing those types of things, try taking a scoop of protein powder that has a small amount of carbs in it about an hour before you workout. I think Muscle Milk is really good for that, since it's one of the higher carb protein powder varieties.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I usually have a couple sandwiches totaling 4-5oz of meat and a slice of cheese each about 2.5 hrs prior. Today I decided to bring a nectarine to have abour 30 min prior. It really doesn't matter as long as you have the energy for your workout and don't feel uncomfortable for some reason.
  • kriscrat
    kriscrat Posts: 15
    Options
    I love my morning shake, which is also my pre workout meal most days. I use:

1/2 of a medium avocado
    1 cup of fruit (anything works, blueberries and strawberries are my favorite)
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1/2 cup water
    1 scoop chocolate whey powder

It's pretty flexible. You could use skim milk instead of whole and water, but that's what my husband likes to drink, so I make do. If I'm in a hurry, I can drink it while on the treadmill too.

:)
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Liquid meal 30-0 minutes before workout:

.25g protein per pound of Target body weight.
    .25g carbs per pound of Target weight

If meal is solid, eat the same amounts, but 60-90 min.

Post-workout, eat the same numbers within 30 min, but carbs should be high glycemic. This is the only good time to eat high glycemic carbs, so treat yourself if you like.
  • Michael1307
    Options
    thanks for the tips guys ! I think it might be that I am eating too soon nearer the workout (about 1.5 hours beforehand) and my body is focusing on digestion rather than energy.

what carbs do you suggest I eat? other than bread and potatoes?

think i'll try the protein tips as well as attack uses a lot of muscles + i am also doing body pump
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    this might belong in another topic but could be half and half

any ideas of a pre workout meal, i dont think i am eating enough to provide me the energy for my workouts
    um, no such thing. It's the calories in a day that provide energy, not just one meal. If you have trouble making it thru a workout, eat more during the day.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I mix Kashi Go Lean with some chopped walnuts, some kind of fruit, and some yogurt and eat it about 60-90 minutes before exercise.