Scales venting

Options
Ive ran 2 miles a day for 3 days straight and stayed with in or under my cal range... I got on the scale today... I gained... huh???

This is why I hate scales!!! I con myself into thinking well Im doing good so youve had to have lost something and then I get so discouraged so fast... :( Then the doubt comes and the questioning on whether Im doing this correctly... sigh.

But then again, its my room mates scale, I dont think its corroborated correctly... she swears it is. I swear its not which gives more doubt, and so wishy washy begins in my head...

SIGH!!!! I thought the first week was always a drastic loss...?

Replies

• deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    maybe ur not eating enough
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You've been doing a lot of exercise.....your muscles are retaining water (to help repair themselves). Take a rest day and weigh again. Also, watch your sodium and be sure you are drinking enough water.
  • Sierrasmommy
    Options
    eating all my calories basically
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    the scale is NOT your friend...ever. Mine hasn't moved in 6 weeks :sad:
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't use a scale. I stick with a tape measure. Or I only weigh like once a month now just to see where I am at.

Water fluctuations can make you go crazy. Just be consistent and believe that your plan is working. The scale is the most convenient measuring tool. Not the most accurate.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You've been doing a lot of exercise.....your muscles are retaining water (to help repair themselves). Take a rest day and weigh again. Also, watch your sodium and be sure you are drinking enough water.

This^^^ You are retaining water and glycogen to repair the muscle tissue from exercise. Take some measurements and forget the scale for awhile. I'd also think about mixing in some strength training. The combo of that with your cardio will be great for fat burning.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I agree, the scale is not your friend. It doesn't always tell what is going on with your body. The scale can tell me I have gained a few pounds but my clothes tell me otherwise.
  • boreshagal
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. It is your body's way of protecting itself.It floods itself with water to repair muscle tissue. Don't fret. Just keep up the exercise and keep up your journaling.In the end, you are the winner, not your stupid ***scale.:wink:
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    3 days is WAY too soon to be expecting results :huh:

and If you weighed 3 days ago there is no reason for you to be weighing again. Your weight will fluctuate because of too much sodium, too much exercise, TOM, plus a thousand other reasons.

Weigh once a week at the MOST!!!

ps I treat the scale like I treat an enemy...I stay away from it!!!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh myself for this same reason. It messes with me mentally and my brain cant take the pressure. :( Although, I do plan on weighing myself in a couple weeks just to see my progress

Good luck ma xo
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    I'm not even on speaking terms with that B****! Wearing the same pant size nothing looks different physically. I know I haven't been doing my exercise as consistenly as I should; but why am I up 10 POUNDS, WTH! Lucky I didn't throw the darn thing down the stairs before kicking it over to the dumpster, and doing a slam dunk once I get there...Wow that's such a great idea I just might do this!!
  • misao1994
    Options

Thank you SO much for this. I've worked out 8 days straight and not lost a pound and this makes so much more sense. Thank you thank you thank you!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Use the same scale everytime, and weigh at the same time everyday. also, take measurements (chest, hips, waist, thighs, arms). It's only been a week.

With running make sure you vary your speed. I lost the most weight when I did interval training, was switching between speed walking, jogging, and running fast.

The first week can go either way, up or down -- remember that water retention can happen too. Make sure you stay hydrated.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Ive ran 2 miles a day for 3 days straight and stayed with in or under my cal range... I got on the scale today... I gained... huh???

SIGH!!!! I thought the first week was always a drastic loss...?

Patience young grasshopper. Weight doesn't tumble off in an exact manner. Are you eating correctly? Are you exercising? Are you getting enough rest and drinking plenty of water? If you can answer yes to all these then the weight will come off. Just keep doing the right thing each day.

Speaking of gaining, how much are we talking about? You can easily gain a pound or two just from what you've eaten the day before. Carbohydrates and excessive salt intake are great at bumping the scale a few pounds. When's the last time you had a bowel movement? I know that's TMI but a pound here or there isn't anything to be concerned about. Just keep doing the right thing and don't seek instant gratification. Half-pound in a full week is a good loss. Check back again tomorrow and the next day. Weight loss isn't linear.

EDIT: Weigh yourself first thing in the morning on an empty bladder before eating or drinking anything. This is the only way to get an accurate assessment of your weight.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    3 days is WAY too soon to be expecting results :huh:

and If you weighed 3 days ago there is no reason for you to be weighing again. Your weight will fluctuate because of too much sodium, too much exercise, TOM, plus a thousand other reasons.

Weigh once a week at the MOST!!!

ps I treat the scale like I treat an enemy...I stay away from it!!!

This! And always use the same scale and weigh wearing the same clothes.
  • mrsjarvis11
    mrsjarvis11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My scales name is Fred. And I want him to drop dead!

Just because you eat the right amount of calories or below while exercising does not mean poof pounds will melt off. I'm learning too that hard work needs to be met by the right calorie intake. I've pumped up my workouts due to not seeing a move on my scale the last weigh in I had. I am STILL learning to eat more when I work out more. You may be expecting miracles in too short of time. Also have to be realistic when shedding pounds. The weight did not appear overnight nor will it disappear that fast. Patience and hard work. It won't be easy. It's not easy to change years of habits and form new ones. But it's worth doing.

Try doing weigh ins farther apart. I think every 3 days might cause some to get disappointed. Heck I do it once a week and want to cry so I will be looking at changing mine too. But I have noticed though my scale has not moved I can see changes. I can fit into clothes better. Even bought 2 new pairs of pants for work and they were in a smaller size. A scale might not be the best way to measure your change.
  • Sierrasmommy
    Options
    mfp says to eat 1680 a day, i manage to eat about that... then im burning an estimate of 350-400 calories during my workouts... Yes Ive only been doing this for 3 days now, I guess I thought Id maybe at least stay the same, not gain!!!! I dont tend to eat my exercise cals and Im managing about 4-5 16 ounce bottles of water a day.... So does this sound good???
  • Sierrasmommy
    Options
    Use the same scale everytime, and weigh at the same time everyday. also, take measurements (chest, hips, waist, thighs, arms). It's only been a week.

With running make sure you vary your speed. I lost the most weight when I did interval training, was switching between speed walking, jogging, and running fast.

The first week can go either way, up or down -- remember that water retention can happen too. Make sure you stay hydrated.

I go two miles in about 34- 47 min and I switch between 3, 4, 5, and sometimes 6 mph... :)
  • samcatttt
    Options
    Don't even let that bother you ! I know its hard to not pay attention to the scales but keep it up and you'll lose weight eventually!
  • lamarnnem
    lamarnnem Posts: 189
    Options
    give it a week, someone else mentioned that your muscles are retaining water which makes sense, i'm in week 3 and my healthy eating and workouts are starting to pay big dividends. 12lbs in 16 days! remember it's a lifestyle change. Give it time, i had the same problem my first week. So i decided to stop being a scale watcher, i now will weigh in every 3 days. Also weigh yourself at the same time every day. I weigh in before my workout then after to see if there is a distance. Weighing at different times per day will give mixed results. Stay consistent.