My first 5k is in 10 days... ? Trainers help?

Options
Hi, and thanks for reading my post. I posted this yesterday:
(((((( I would like to do some exercises at home to improve my lung capacity for running. I know that my legs could take me much faster on my 5k if only my lungs would handle it. I know to keep my shoulders back, and it REALLY HELPS! I've been doing 3.8 miles in 40 minutes, and today I did 3.2 miles in 36 minutes. Those extra 2/10 of a mile kill me, or rather the end of my race, my legs want to run hard, but my chest won't let me. I am 47 and I've only been at this for 5 weeks now. I ran in high school and college, but I haven't run now for TEN YEARS ))))

I had lots of great responses, and I did one today. Brad suggested that I count four steps for my inhale and four steps for my exhale, but I ran into some problems and now I am really anxious about the race being in only 10 days. my lung capacity. Below are the thoughts and concerns I have. I know it is long, but if you could post on just one of the concerns, it will help me decide what to do until them. THANKS in ADVANCE!

... I ran today. I took a different route so that may have contributed to my pace, but I only ran 2.4 miles in 42 minutes today. I would have run further, but I had gotten off course and wasn't sure how far 3.2 or 4 miles would be. However when I looked at my watch, it said 42 minutes, so I figured I must be close to 3.2. I'm a bit disappointed in myself, but I learned some things and have a few questions.

... I can breathe out four seconds, but my body won't let me exhale for that length of time. I end up getting off balance, so eventually I just counted the exhales and breathed a couple of breaths during the inhale four count. Toward the end I was exhaling to a count of five for some reason. Does that mean I was taking it easier?
(This breathing thing isn't making perfect sense to me when I am running. I feel like I'm doing the wrong 'dance'!)
... Running slower hurts my legs and hips, so I wonder if I'm just better off accepting my 3.2 mile pace at 38 minutes, deep breathing when I need to get my heart rate back down. The 5K path has lots of small hills, so my heart rate goes up when climbing, and down when 'coasting down the hills.' Maybe this is a type of interval training you referred to with the ups and downs of the heart rate. Do I just need to be more patient with my body?
... I am wondering why I ran so slowly today. I ate more yesterday than normal (my diary is public... and it's pretty ugly), I'm a bit tired because I was waken in the night, I haven't taken any days off in weeks, I did take a different route that required decision making while I ran, I didn't drink as much water yesterday, and I hadn't taken my anti-anxiety medication before I ran.
... I have noticed some crackling in my knees when I and sitting into or rising out of a chair. My knees don't hurt at all, and they are not tired, but I'm wondering what this is! Like I said, I haven't run for over 15 years, and my knees were not being used much in daily life! I would use my arms to lift and lower myself into a chair or bed. BUT now I can actually lift and lower myself by my knees with no help from my arms and it doesn't hurt them. It just make this crackling noise, and I am hoping I am not doing any damage.
... I'm wondering if I have to take a day off. I would really like to swim today, because I REALLY want to run this 5K in 35 minutes on September 25th. I need to come up with a plan to get myself ready that includes running the actual route twice (psychological), and keeps me active every day until then, but I do think I will need to take the day before off? I don't want to, but it that will enhance my performance, I'm willing to do it.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken any days off in weeks

You need rest / recovery days. It almost sounds like you're overtraining (high heart rate, slow pace, difficulty sleeping).

While it's rare that I'll take a day completely off I try to mix up my schedule something like:

Mon: swim or row, TTP
    Tue: run (easy), strength
    Wed: swim or row, hills
    Thu: run (tempo), strength
    Fri: swim or row / soccer
    Sat: run (easy), strength
    Sun: Run (LSD), long bike ride

and I'll commute to work once or twice a week depending on my meeting schedule. By taking days off between runs my body has time to recover, similarly the intensity when I'm swimming is fairly low (I'm just trying to get to the point where I can swim 750 to 1500m for a triathlon), rowing and cycling are both low impact activities - you could do them pretty much every day if you wanted to (or had time to) and with soccer we have enough subs on the team that it's very rare that any of us play the full 90 minutes any more (hey, it's an over 50 league.....just showing up is a miracle!)

My knees sound like rice krispies too at times but don't hurt. For your hips and knees check out some of the exercises at runnersworld.com - strong hips & glutes make a world of difference.

Based on what you've achieved so far you're probably on track to your goal time for the 5K, cross training and recovery days can only help.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I think you need to relax. Its your first 5 km. You're should enjoy the experience. Have fun and don't worry about your time.
    And listen to your body...take rest when it demands it...it will thank you for it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think you're being a bit hard on yourself, really. You're probably over-training, too. I started running in April of last year. I'm 46 and it's the first time I've ever run in my entire life. That might have made it a bit easier for me because I had no pre-existing expectations of how I would do. I ran my first race last October (a 10K) and have now run 3 half marathons and numerous shorter races. I'm slow but I get the job done. :)

My best advice, not necessarily following your list:

1. Don't stress about the 5K race. Really. Does it honestly matter in what time you finish it in? Odds are, some people will be walking the whole thing so you won't finish last, no matter how slowly you run. I love races and it makes me sad that people stress out about them so much. Try to just enjoy the experience and worry about finish times when you've been running for a little longer.
    2. I hate to say it but we aren't getting any younger. Pushing yourself to match times you ran a decade or longer ago is going to set you up for frustration and disappointment. Do what you can do now and over time you'll get a little faster.
    3. Don't run every day. Your body needs some recovery time. You can certainly work out every day, with one rest day per week, but make the days between running something low or non-impact like swimming, biking or strength training. You are on the road to injury by pushing yourself every day and injuries will keep you from running at all.
    4. I run in intervals and I love them. I know that if I'd started out trying to run the whole time I would have quit months ago. If you're interested in giving them a try check out Jeff Galloway's website. My current race pace is 3 minutes running and 1 minute walking with the run intervals being around 6 MPH and the walks at 3.5 MPH. That has me at an overall pace of about 10:30 to 11:00 minute miles.
    5. Try to just relax and enjoy running. It shouldn't be something that adds more stress to your life.

Good luck!

ETA: My advice is mostly for the short-term. Once your body is used to running you can certainly push yourself harder and longer and your times will improve.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You are going to be able to run well again, maybe even close to your college times, but its going to take longer than 5 weeks to get there. Think in terms of years instead of weeks. In the meantime, do the best you can with what you have right now and train smartly to improve it over time.

You also probably need to take a day or two of rest. There is no reason someone your age, cannot run every day or even twice a day if they want to but its going to take some time to rebuild yourself to that level. Until then, if you train harder than you can recover from you will not get any better.
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Brad - I'm having NO problem sleeping. My SON does! He woke me at 3 a.m., and that is why I am tired today. I am so glad you replied. I have an appointment in town at 6pm, and I'm going to swim after that now!

Rice crispies~! Exactly what I thought, but to say it, I didn't know it would represent the sound it really makes!

Thanks everyone. You have really made me think. This race is in the town I live in, and it is actually a triathlon. My best friend is biking, and my daughter is swimming (she is 15). My best friend wants to run beside me, and I've run with her recently. She is so much faster than me, which is what is making me so nervous, I think. My BIGGEST goal is to finish without walking, and I have run 4 miles every day except today, without stopping, and most of the time it takes me 40 minutes. I'm just going to have to take an anxiety pill that morning (like I do every morning), and keep my OWN pace. She is a sweetheart, and she is the one who got me motivated to take up exercise again to lose weight. She was not a runner in high school, but she has been at this two years already. I am a teacher, and it is the first year they have had it. So far there are only 20 people entered, and 1/2 are teams. So I'm really doubting that anyone will be walking. I would LOVE that though! It makes me feel better to imagine that!

I really don't think I am over training. As I said above, I am a teacher, and I get the whole day to rest and recover! School starts Monday though, so it will definitely get harder, but at the same time, I will have less time on my hands to think about it and worry!