acne

I am 29 years old and have lost 22lbs so far. I am starting to break out with acne. Is this because of the weight loss?

Replies

• Are you working out a lot? Working out = sweat and dead skin cells. Sweat and dead skin cells = certain types of acne.
    Stress and new medication and trigger acne too. Acne in general is just strange, I've heard stories of people moving to new cities and acquiring acne for the first time and thinking it's the air. Hmmmmm...
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    I have been told that there are toxins and hormones stored in the fat in your body, which are released when you lose weight and they may cause acne. It could also just be your body noticing you are eating healthier and therefore getting rid of all the bad stuff in your body. This is just temporary, just your body getting rid of it.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    do you have good skin usually or is acne part of your history? i hear your skin can get almost "addicted" to proactiv and once you stop using it, the acne comes back. i don't know though... don't quote me on it. i've never had an acne problem. i'm one of those people in which my body reacts to EV-ERY-THING. if you did have really good skin before, perhaps it is the weight loss. i would wait it out for a few weeks and see if it persists.

the only time i ever remember having a horrid case of pimples was when i drank a lot of sugary cokes when i was going through puberty. and then when i stopped drinking cokes, the pimps retreated. maybe watch your sugar intake. and--i dare say--up your fat intake. :)
  • kmwrestle
    kmwrestle Posts: 33 Member
    i have good skin and have not been working out
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    You could possibly be lacking a vitimin or nutrient, is that a possibity? Also, sometimes if I have too much of something i have a breakout.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    I have always had acne and currently take spironolactone (100mg/day) prescribed by my dermatologist. Even so, I find that if I don't shower within an hour of my workout, I get more acne on my face and chest.
    You could also try over the counter methods.. the tea tree or seaweed skin care lines that the Body Shop carries are both good for acne/combo skin.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    What are you eating now that you didn't before? You may have a food trigger.
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Hormonal changes happen from losing weight as well. Hope it clears up soon, adult acne sucks!
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    I cant help you with why but a tip for how to make it go away... try balancing face cleansers.. I used to use acne prone face wash, but I switched to a blancing one... and its helping alot.. also water helped.. drink lots!! (will also aid in weight loss) If you switching from bad foods to cleaner.. that may also just be your body re-adjusting... :) Hop i helped? I have really bad acne but since eating clean and more water its cleared up alot!!
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Yes, I broke out horribly when I changed my diet, mostly on my back. It eventually cleared up.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    it could even be from some of your new healthy foods.. i know i break out like a beast if i eat oranges or pineapples.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    I break out if I consume too much dairy. I have cut back a bit but it still hasn't gone away completely and I really like my dairy so getting rid of it entirely will be difficult. *le sigh* So I can't really answer your question either. >.<
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    i normally don't eat carby things, just veggies, little dairy and a few nuts.
    i had strep throat for a few days and ate applesauce, yogurt, popsicles, ice cream.. and i got like 5 new zits.
    really sucks.