Starting over...REALLY!

Options
I had been doing GREAT with watching what I ate up until the end of July and then for some reason I began to go crazy with my eating habits. I would eat all day with the thought of starting over the "next day" (which never came.) My problem has been that I LOVE experimenting with different foods and also LOVE tasting my experiments. (Such as Hmmm, that marshmallow would be great with a little Nutella...that was delicious...now I will try peanut butter...YUMMMM...well now I have to try all three together!) And it never ends! I am not overweight...but I am here because I know habits will get me there soon if I don't start behaving!

SOOO...I am starting over! For real this time! Here it goes! :)

Replies

• dominique2118
    Options
    Welcome!! I'm in the same boat as you!! Congratulations on starting over - and I wish you the BEST of luck!
  • jodiem147
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. For a couple of weeks I do really well, log in to MFP record everything, exercise and lose weight. Then something will happen; things like this are usually like going away for the weekend, having a bad day or going out for a meal etc. i'll think 'oh it's a one off i'll eat what I want and enjoy myself!' but then after that I just can't seem to stop eating, I eat then for the sake of eating and I'll spend like a week or two binging, then I'll feel completely awful as I gain back what I lost and then start eating healthy again, and the vicious cycle starts again!!

I'm starting over AGAIN but this time I'm determined that there will be no Day 1 again. I keep thinking about those horrid and guilty feeling I have after a binging week, and hopefully that will keep me going. Like you, I'm not overweight (about 10.5 stone) but I'd like to get into shape now while I'm young.

See starting over as a good thing rather than a bad thing - at least you have recognised that you need to change your habits sooner rather than later. Good luck!!:smile:
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Kill it.
  • vals83
    vals83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Same here! I had lost 13lbs with MFP. Kept it off for almost a year but due to a big move new city, new job, and a bad break up I not only gained the weight back but added an additional 7lbs. My goal is to be 170 by the end of the year. So last week I officially started over.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The first days back after going overboard is the hardest! I decided to give myself a "cheat day" on monday for a special occasion, the first cheat day in 6 weeks, I even managed to stay under calories but my carbs and sugar were through the roof! I didn't feel guilty though, because it was one, planned day.

BUT the next day?!?!?! OMG, I wanted to eat ALL THE THINGS! I went over my calories for the first time in 6 weeks. It was a real challenge to keep my excess to just a couple hundred calories, and I managed to stay away from junk food, but wow my cravings for sweets and carbs was crazy! I didn't beat myself up about the extra calories, because I had allowed for them, and not used them, the day before... but it became painfully obvious how each day has an effect on the days to follow. I indulged in those extra calories yesterday, but made a point to limit sugar and carbs, and today, I feel much better and more in control. I even went grocery shopping without putting any ice cream in my cart.

my point being... if you DO decide to indulge, as we are all going to do sometimes, you just need to be really strong for the couple of days that follow, and then it really does get easier to stay away from all the sugary goodies.
  • cleavagefurrow
    cleavagefurrow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. Starting right now, I will REALLY start over. REALLY. ARG. Somebody hold me to this. I am seriously out of control :(
  • sbpack1981
    sbpack1981 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started over again...again...AGAIN this past Saturday. Congrats on starting again -- you can do it!
  • vals83
    vals83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. Starting right now, I will REALLY start over. REALLY. ARG. Somebody hold me to this. I am seriously out of control :(

I'm holding you to it!!!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I like to look at it as every day is a start over. The calorie ticker starts over, and every morning I get a fresh start.

(Dang. Tried to post a pic of Dorie from Finding Nemo that said "Just keep swimming. Fail. :laugh: )
  • ChefCupcake
    Options
    You sound just like me! I love experimenting with food too much!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You cant get serious again.
    You werent serious last time.
    No its not ok.
    No its not cool that you keep doing this but claim to want a healthy lifestyle.
    Youre living a contradiction and you cant split your goals and your behavior this way.

Stop it.

And not tomorrow - for the rest of the day.

if you drop your phone, you dont pick it up tomorrow, do you?

Knock it off. Youre a human and we are cool as sht and excuses and starting over all the time because its easier than actually standing up and testing our willpower that we are soooooooo proud of... is LAME.

My darling girl, its time to show what you are made of.

tomorrows?
    or todays?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I like to look at it as every day is a start over. The calorie ticker starts over, and every morning I get a fresh start.

unfortunately your body doesnt see eye to eye with you on this. It ALWAYS feels and shows the consequences of the yesterday you pretended to erase.
  • Ashers83
    Ashers83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I used to do that and the idea of "starting over" always gave me an excuse to pig out up to that "start over" day. I've decided now that it's just an ongoing process. I overdid lunch today with calories so instead of scrapping the whole day and starting again tomorow I'll adjust the rest of my day. Starting over just does not work for me :)
  • indpls2002
    indpls2002 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You cant get serious again.
    You werent serious last time.
    No its not ok.
    No its not cool that you keep doing this but claim to want a healthy lifestyle.
    Youre living a contradiction and you cant split your goals and your behavior this way.

Stop it.

And not tomorrow - for the rest of the day.

if you drop your phone, you dont pick it up tomorrow, do you?

Knock it off. Youre a human and we are cool as sht and excuses and starting over all the time because its easier than actually standing up and testing our willpower that we are soooooooo proud of... is LAME.

My darling girl, its time to show what you are made of.

tomorrows?
    or todays?

Brutally honest but brutally true! Thank you!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

i disagree. if we ignore what happened yesterday, we will never learn. if we don't learn, we won't ever change.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Sometimes this happens when you deprive yourself too much when you are in "weight-loss mode". Try upping your calories and eating more "normal" meals and set your goals for 1 pound per week. Of course those extra exercise calories never hurt! Good luck.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options

unfortunately your body doesnt see eye to eye with you on this. It ALWAYS feels and shows the consequences of the yesterday you pretended to erase.

love that quote ! well said
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Starting over the next day is always such a bad thing! One bad meal or day does not a failed diet make! Try to change your thinking maybe? Look at the odd slip up (not that you're going to have more) as an isolated meal.
    Welcome back anyway!

Let's get going!
  • JAT63
    JAT63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's a life journey, not a quick fix....nothing worth while is easy....so never give up....you will lose the weight you want if you keep trying...stay the goal and set your goals.....
  • ItsVJ
    ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I've been doing the exact same thing since a knee injury in April

Until I had a very frank talk with an old friend who has turned her life around by getting healthy. She looks amazing, and what's more important - she is in amazing health now.

One of the most impactful things she said to me was something so simple, and it has yet to stop spinning in my brain:

Quit quitting.

Ridiculously small and simple, I know. It's been the dime that I've stopped on. And now I'm back at the gym and on MFP, and I'm determined to quit quitting.