How do you control a craving?

Options
I have a HORRIBLE addiction to fast food I can make myself go a day or two with out it but then three days later I am in the drive through for Chicken nuggets and a pop. It makes me sad that I can't keep myself eating right. I have like zero self control when I am in the car and hungry. All I want is to be healthier but I keep getting in my own way!!! GRR How does everyone else control a crappy craving?

Replies

• oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Find a healthy alternative to it.

You like chicken nuggets? Learn to make your own; make and bake them ahead of time then pop them in the micro for a quick bite. Like pop? Try sparkling water; its flavored and far healthier.

And in the beginning, maybe treat yourself to that craving once a week, then once every 2 weeks, etc until you can wean off it :)
  • jkleeh
    jkleeh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    thanks thats a good idea maybe I can nuke them before I leave the house and throw them in the car with me. I can go without fast food if I am home but if I am running errands....Which is often I am a mom of 3 and I run a preschool. I can't seem to talk myself out of not stopping
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    thanks thats a good idea maybe I can nuke them before I leave the house and throw them in the car with me. I can go without fast food if I am home but if I am running errands....Which is often I am a mom of 3 and I run a preschool. I can't seem to talk myself out of not stopping
    There you go! That's already a good mentality to have :D

Also, having healthy food bits for when you're running around like crazy is good: frozen banana chips, grapes, sliced strawberries, veggies are all good choices.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Keep food in the car so you're not tempted to stop. Once you smell those fries and are in line, there's no stopping.

Find healthier alternatives at the drive-through.

Eat a LITTLE. A small fry and milk instead of the maxi-meal.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of tips that I and others have used:

1) Drink water, if you haven't had your 8 glasses for the day - that sometimes stops the cravings.

2) Keep telling yourself that nothing tastes better than being healthy

3) Each time you feel a hunger pang, say to your self: "that's me losing weight"!

4) Eat something low calories and high fiber in the morning to stave off the cravings (see if that helps)
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've found that if you can go a week without something it usually gets A LOT easier to not go back to eating it. I gave up fast food about 2.5 years ago and I think i've had fast food once since then. No craving for it at all.

I gave up candy/sweets for Lent this year and had no problem after about a week or no desserts.

It's all about the mind-set, at least for me.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm addcited to chocolate. I get low cal snacks....I also bought dark chocolate and try my hardest not to over do it. If it's pms week then I do extra cardio, it seems to work.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think we all have similiar struggles..
    I do 1 or 2 things...

1. I have an alternative IF I know it will curb the craving
    2. if there is no alternative I give in to the craving (maybe I will only eat half though or whatever) - I have learnt many years ago if I skirt around my craving, I end up eating it anyways and by that point I have overeaten way more than if I would have just ate it in the first place

Good luck.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i used to leave my wallet behind if i had to run out for something if i didnt inner fat ilovethebrowns would take over and take me through micki dees
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    All great ideas!!! Ones we can all use!!

I find too, I DONT buy things I crave becuase if they are in my house I have no self control. I have ALOT of control in the super market. This has greatly helped me when I am probably not hungry but bored and search the house for a snack -- I dont find one and get to doing something else.

usually by the time I am in a store to get whatever the craving was it was a none issue. BUT sometimes I just want it no matter what and I give in as I said in my other post.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Pre Plan meals!!!! I personally take this to the extreme at times because I have *zip* for self control, and I make terrible hunger decisions. I have found that if I am never hungry I do so much better! Try pre-planning food for tomorrow. MAKE yourself eat early if you usually don't!! Eat a little every 3 hours or so, and see how it goes! (Think about this: theoretically you could eat around 100 calorieseach hour for a full 17 hour day, and have a healthy calorie intake for the day- need more than just a ton of snacks....eat 200 calories ever 2 hours, or 300 every three, ext....) This is the ONLY thing that helped me kick fast food!! Now I am really noticing my taste cravings are different. All day yesterday my mouth was watering for unsalted almonds. Ha! The me from a year ago would have NEVER imagines that!
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    All great ideas!!! Ones we can all use!!

I find too, I DONT buy things I crave becuase if they are in my house I have no self control. I have ALOT of control in the super market. This has greatly helped me when I am probably not hungry but bored and search the house for a snack -- I dont find one and get to doing something else.

usually by the time I am in a store to get whatever the craving was it was a none issue. BUT sometimes I just want it no matter what and I give in as I said in my other post.

Another thing this reminds me of is eating something before shopping and running errands. That helps a TON.
  • snoppdog69
    Options
    I could have wrote your post as that is exactly me. I have Mcdonalds, KFC, Burger King and endless other takeaways within ten minutes of my house and am always so tempted whenever I leave my house.

I tend to on a sunday have a treat day, which is a happy meal from Mcdonalds or similar otherwise i'd be in their all the time.

Used to have a large meal at Mcdonalds but this happy meal helps.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Don't put yourself in that position. Keep snacks in the car ie nuts or bring a snack with you. You probably know how long it'll take you to run your errands when you leave. So you already know if you've set yourself up for an "unplanned" trip through the drive- thru.
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Options
    Keep smart alternatives on hand. Raw nuts is always my go to + lots and lots of water!!! Water does wonders:flowerforyou:

>Edit: If you hit up a fast food joint, they do have better alternatives like a side salad w/balsamic vinegar or light italian, grilled chicken w/extra veggies [no sauce, cheese &toss the bun] or some even have those kid packs of sliced fruits. BOOM! You got this!!!
  • DKD1957
    DKD1957 Posts: 1
    Options
    I keep plenty of snacks around :)
    - carrot sticks
    - 100 calorie treats (my favorite)
    - jello and fruit cups (low cal)
  • MaverickUK2K
    Options
    If you like Fizzy drinks, why not get a carbonater and carbonate diluted sugarfree / no added sugar juice?
  • stork32
    stork32 Posts: 36
    Options
    Honestly, coffee or meditation. If I drink coffee or tea, anything warm and calorie free...it gets rid of any craving Im having. Meditation: its more like yoga. I sit, empty my head, and do nothing for about 30 seconds to a minute. I busy myself with something else and go from there.
  • missangie8
    missangie8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always keep 2-3 snacks in my purse so I never go hungry, because I find that when I'm hungry, I'm more likely to give in to a craving. Also, I try to think about all the negatives of what I'm craving for (like how greasy or processed it is) so that it's less appealing to me. I tell myself "I don't want it", instead of "I can't have it," so that it doesn't feel like I'm depriving myself, because that's just asking for a binge later on.
  • healthybody74
    Options
    I have this really good chart for cravings that helps me with healthy alternatives.
    Fast food: salty craving? You need chloride, which you can get from fish and goats milk.
    oily/fatty food? you need calcium which you can get from milk, cheese, yogurt, legumes, broccoli, green leafy vegetables.
    Breads? You need nitrogen, which you can get from high protein foods, meat, fish, nuts, beans.

These are only some of the things but I find when I'm craving something with substance and fruits and veggies just won't do it, I have a handful of almonds, or a salad with sunflower seeds sprinkled on it. Some beans or chick peas and a slice of cheddar helps me. The more I stay away from fast food, the better I feel and the less likely I will crave it. In fact, I don't crave it anymore and sometimes the smell of it bothers me.

Have a bag of raw almonds on hand and a bottle of water to help deal with those "in the moment" cravings. I'm a busy mom of four all under the age of 9yrs so I totally understand! Hope this helped :)