Wish I Could Make Up My Mind

Options
I seem to go back and forth on how I want to lose weight. One week, Atkins the next exercise more. As stressful as this is for me, I am making my husband crazy!! He hates when I try diets like Atkins where the food list can be so restrictive that I can't enjoy meals with him. Years ago, I went to a nutritionist and was told to not count carbs only calories. Eating 1500 a day and exercising 3 times a week, I lost 20 pounds in about 10 weeks. It was great.. Wish I could get there again.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I seem to go back and forth on how I want to lose weight. One week, Atkins the next exercise more. As stressful as this is for me, I am making my husband crazy!! He hates when I try diets like Atkins where the food list can be so restrictive that I can't enjoy meals with him. Years ago, I went to a nutritionist and was told to not count carbs only calories. Eating 1500 a day and exercising 3 times a week, I lost 20 pounds in about 10 weeks. It was great.. Wish I could get there again.

So stop chasing magic fixes. Listen to the nutritionist and follow the MFP plan - count calories. Eat whatever you want (trying to make as many healthy choices as possible, but not denying yourself the foods you enjoy). Just stay at your goal. It really is that simple.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

So stop chasing magic fixes. Listen to the nutritionist and follow the MFP plan - count calories. Eat whatever you want (trying to make as many healthy choices as possible, but not denying yourself the foods you enjoy). Just stay at your goal. It really is that simple.

Read this post over and over
  • lifewerks
    Options
    Try not to stress too much. Stick with what works for you. Log your food and exercise here and be done with it. You will get there! Stay strong.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    stick with what works. it seems that you already have an idea of what works for your body. Counting calories is not only sustainable long term but allows you to eat what you want in moderation as opposed to restriction and cutting out the things you love.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I went to a nutritionist and was told to not count carbs only calories. Eating 1500 a day and exercising 3 times a week, I lost 20 pounds in about 10 weeks. It was great.. Wish I could get there again.
    What's stopping you?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Why can't you? MFP will calculate your calories for you and subtract 500 calories a day. Log everything. Follow the directions.
  • healthybody74
    Options
    I think you know how to do it, it's just that maybe you don't have the motivation to stick with it? One of my successes is staying away from fast food and to make everything from scratch as much as possible. Healthier choices will help in the long run. Eat well my friend!
  • GOBIGGOHOME
    Options
    Why can't you? MFP will calculate your calories for you and subtract 500 calories a day. Log everything. Follow the directions.

I think I am doing this wrong... They have me at 1200 calories a day, am I suppose to subtract 500 from that... I'm confused???
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for YOU! I eat low carb because I lose weight easier and it helps with my cravings. It's not for everyone though; if straight calorie counting worked for you in the past, why don't you just do that?
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what you can sustain long term. If you can't do it after you get to goal, how will you maintain your loss. That is why so many people here are a fan of MFP. You can lose weight eating what you like, just learning moderation. Then, when you get to goal, you just eat a little bit more of the same thing.
  • ibcsrl19
    ibcsrl19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think part of my problem is that I stay motivated for a short period of time. Then I blow my diet the first chance I get and restart again the next monday. (For instance, had company last week from Thursday to Sunday, I ate what they ate, which wasn't always the healthiest, but was the easiest when eating with 7 others).
  • ibcsrl19
    Options
    To clarify, I thought the number of calories that MFP sets already includes the negative 500 deduction. If not there is no way I would survive on 700 calories a day.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this -- I have been where you are and this is the only one that works for the long haul and allows you to live life freely.
  • kimad
    Options
    To clarify, I thought the number of calories that MFP sets already includes the negative 500 deduction. If not there is no way I would survive on 700 calories a day.

They do all the math! So eat whatever they told you (I assume by your post it would be 1200 cals a day)
  • ibcsrl19
    Options

I totally agree with this -- I have been where you are and this is the only one that works for the long haul and allows you to live life freely.

Thanks to both of you.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Why can't you? It seems you already see an answer where you don't need to restrict categories of food, you can enjoy meals and lose weight. Isn't that easier than bouncing around a bunch of different strategies?
  • kimad
    Options

I think I am doing this wrong... They have me at 1200 calories a day, am I suppose to subtract 500 from that... I'm confused???

If they have you at 1200, eat 1200.. They do the math for you....
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You must eat at least 1200 calories a day!!
  • CCChaos625
    CCChaos625 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It automatically subtracts the 500 calories. The lowest it wants you to eat is 1200 daily and then eat back your exercise calories. SO BEAR MINIMUM intake would be 1200 cal/day.

but you adjust it to lifestyle and how much you want to workout, then when you add your exercise, walking etc it adds those calories to the pre work out number.... so you have for ex 1200 cal, do a 300 cal burn- you get 1500 cal for the day.

Good luck~
  • ibcsrl19
    Options

Why can't you? It seems you already see an answer where you don't need to restrict categories of food, you can enjoy meals and lose weight. Isn't that easier than bouncing around a bunch of different strategies?

Sounds like the best of both worlds. I like it. Thanks again everyone.