Work out help

Today is going to be my second day back at the gym, I worked out my arms a little yesterday and today I want to work on my legs. The problem is I'm not sure exactly What kind of machines to use or even what they do or what they are called. I'm looking to slim down my calves and thighs. any suggestions?

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    I worked out my arms a little yesterday and today I want to work on my legs. The problem is I'm not sure exactly What kind of machines to use or even what they do or what they are called.
    The machines would be the leg extension and leg curl machines. You might have a hack squat or leg press machine at your gym. Those are probably your best bet. Please skip the inner thigh machine. It's nearly worthless.

In the free weight world there are lunges, squats, and dead lifts. These are actually the best exercises for your legs period. If you're not sure how to do these have someone show you or check out some videos on YouTube and start off light. You can injure yourself with these if you have poor form or technique.
    I'm looking to slim down my calves and thighs. any suggestions?
    Eat a negative calorie diet and exercise. 60%-75% is your diet.
  • I would highly suggest that you look into classes rather than doing individual machines for this, that and the other body part. Classes will help take the guess work out of what you should focus on and for how long. For instance if you were to take a Boot Camp Class you would be getting both your resistance AND cardio in one which is the best of both worlds, in the least amount of time. Or a Zumba Class which will burn calories, melt fat and work your muscles. Again a much bigger bang for your buck [so to speak].

If you do choose to work with the machines, make sure you are working all sides of the muscle groups so that you don't end up strong in one and weak in another and so that you create a toned and elongated muscle you will also want to be sure to stretch those muscles!

Using the treadmill at a nice incline will help to get your heart rate up, melt that fat so that you can see the muscle as it is created underneath or taking a bike class will also do the same for you.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Most gyms have personal trainers. It's worth setting up an appointment with one to get a workout together that does what you want.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Most gyms have personal trainers. It's worth setting up an appointment with one to get a workout together that does what you want.

This is the correct answer. You need to do an "introduction" to the gym. It's worth seeing a trainer a few times to understand what you're doing.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

DP