Coconut Oil

Options
Yes, another post about coconut oil.... I like the kind that doesnt have a flavor but the unrefined, virgin kind is so nasty that I cant stand to eat it, especially by itself. I was doing ok with it and taking it regularly but something happened and now I cant even stand to smell it.

So, my question is... if I am going to buy the unflavored kind, is there one brand that is better than another as far as nutrients, etc?

Replies

• LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have found that Walmart has the cheapest and best brand of CO. It is Luanna brand. It is flavorless. It is great for cooking and baking. I use the "flavorful" EVCO for my coffee because I DO love the flavor of coconut!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE LOUANNE
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that the Louana coconut oil was refined and heat pressed or something like that and it wasnt the "good" kind of coconut oil. Not sure how valid that is but I cook with it anyway.

**Yes, its heat extracted and chemically refined, bleached, and deodorized**

I found it on foodrenegade.com and a couple other articles when I googled it
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is nasty??? Well, not to me. However, I only eat coconut manna and milk by itself. I put coconut oil in things. I like how it tastes, though it did have to grow on me over time. I haven't sought out any coconut oils that don't taste/smell like coconut because I suspect they will be more refined. I'm eating it for health, first and foremost.

I wish I could recommend something (I'm using Nutiva products) but where I live, I have to fly in all my coconut products. I forget what it's like to actually go in a store full of healthy food; it must be awe-inspiring. :smile:
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that the Louana coconut oil was refined and heat pressed or something like that and it wasnt the "good" kind of coconut oil. Not sure how valid that is but I cook with it anyway.

Which is why I have Louana and the EVCO in my pantry. I need them both! lol
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I use Nutiva :)
  • kimmbird
    kimmbird Posts: 55
    Options
    Wow! Just leaned something here...I thought all coconuts tasted the same..thx

I use nature's way and I love the smell and taste. I use it in my toast and I am in heaven, plus my smoothies.

Howerver, a few mths a go, I started to hate it! I thought something was wrong with me, then I starts to think that maybe the oil went rancint. It has such a strong labor n smell that I couldn't tell. So I got another and it was great! So, it was BAD oil! Sprouts said I could of returned it. So now, I know even if it smells good, tastes ok but can't swallow easily it will go back to the store. I know it must of gotten over heated while shipping along the way. So, natures way is still my coconut oil :)
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just leaned something here...I thought all coconuts tasted the same..thx

I use nature's way and I love the smell and taste. I use it in my toast and I am in heaven, plus my smoothies.

Howerver, a few mths a go, I started to hate it! I thought something was wrong with me, then I starts to think that maybe the oil went rancint. It has such a strong labor n smell that I couldn't tell. So I got another and it was great! So, it was BAD oil! Sprouts said I could of returned it. So now, I know even if it smells good, tastes ok but can't swallow easily it will go back to the store. I know it must of gotten over heated while shipping along the way. So, natures way is still my coconut oil :)

Do you need your receipt? Because I bought a very expensive brand from them and it was DISGUSTING!!!!! I forced down about a third of the container but couldnt take it anymore so now its just sitting in my pantry.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I tried 5 brands of coconut oil and only 1 comes in a dark brown container to keep out the light and keep it fresh longer. Barlean's Coconut oil is the very best tasting I think I eat it right off the spoon. I Love Coconut though if you do not like the taste do not buy this brand.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I bought a small container of Spectrum Organic from GNC - I'm glad I didn't get a huge container because I don't need to use alot. I think as the winter goes on i'll try using it more in tea and coffee, but the only milk I drink during the day is my little bit of 1% I put in my morning coffee, so that's why I keep it. I eat yogurt and cheese, just not into drinking milk.

Anyways, I'm addicted to cooking my egg and cheese breakfast with coconut oil. I use a multigrain sandwich thin and a tsp of coconut oil in a good non-stick pan. I cook the egg and a couple of slices of red onion in the oil while I warm up the bread. Then I top is with a thin slice of swiss. It is SO yummy. Everything smells good and I swear the egg and onion taste amazing.
  • rmarley05
    rmarley05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We use Nutiva here also! We order it from amazon, it's been the best deal that I've found between local and Amazon. We use it for a ton of things, it's really yummy with fresh popped popcorn!!
  • rydersgrammy1
    Options
    Luanna is refined.... I use Nutiva only...
    You don't want to use any refined oil... It takes all the good stuff out....
    I happen to love coconut but if you don't, I wouldn't eat it.....