How do you control a craving?

Options
13»

Replies

• annielaurie88
    annielaurie88 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue- but with sweets.

Somone on here told me to read this book called 'Full-Filled' by Renee Stephens. i personally dont really like to read books on weight-loss, etc... but decided... eh.. what the heck!

so anyway its this super inspiring book about making your mind think differently about reason why we eat what we eat. it is truthfully a great book- i am so glad i got it.. at least read up on it on Amazon to see if you would like it. its super easy reading and you can do it if you have down time ever :)

It has really helped me re-think so many things. i am not done with it yet but i have already cut WAYY back on chocolate.. i used to eat 2 king-sized bars AT LEAST a day....

food for thought :)
  • christelpistol
    christelpistol Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you like Fizzy drinks, why not get a carbonater and carbonate diluted sugarfree / no added sugar juice?

there are also flavored mineral waters like La Croix and Topo Chico that have 0 calories and NO artificial sweeteners!
  • gogidget
    gogidget Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have this really good chart for cravings that helps me with healthy alternatives.
    Fast food: salty craving? You need chloride, which you can get from fish and goats milk.
    oily/fatty food? you need calcium which you can get from milk, cheese, yogurt, legumes, broccoli, green leafy vegetables.
    Breads? You need nitrogen, which you can get from high protein foods, meat, fish, nuts, beans.

These are only some of the things but I find when I'm craving something with substance and fruits and veggies just won't do it, I have a handful of almonds, or a salad with sunflower seeds sprinkled on it. Some beans or chick peas and a slice of cheddar helps me. The more I stay away from fast food, the better I feel and the less likely I will crave it. In fact, I don't crave it anymore and sometimes the smell of it bothers me.

Have a bag of raw almonds on hand and a bottle of water to help deal with those "in the moment" cravings. I'm a busy mom of four all under the age of 9yrs so I totally understand! Hope this helped :)

That's really interesting. Good info, thanks...I found a chart like that online : http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    What helped me was to have a no eating in the car rule. It made stopping at the drive throughs less fun if I had to wait till I got home and in the house to eat it. It made me skip it more often than not.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to already know what you're going to eat when you get home. And if you just can't help yourself - try getting the kid-size of whatever it is you're ordering. At least that cuts the calories down significantly.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I find when I say no and don't give into a craving it makes me stronger.. each time. that is the trick..to say no that first time and your strength to resist builds. I do this with eating out. I find it easier and easier to order what is healthy on the menu and pass up the other bad stuff. It is amazing how you can amaze yourself. It is all a simple choice. your choice.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I replaced the fast food, e.g. hamburgers/fries with coffee at gas stations (no food). I found other driving routes that didn't have as much/or any roadside signs for favorite foods (that cause instant hunger). After doing this a while I no longer craved fast food sandwiches and I stopped driving out of my way for fast food. I then worked my way off of "instant" coffee. Now I have no cravings for fast food as I drive around.

I have more time and more money in my pocket now...
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a HORRIBLE addiction to fast food I can make myself go a day or two with out it but then three days later I am in the drive through for Chicken nuggets and a pop. It makes me sad that I can't keep myself eating right. I have like zero self control when I am in the car and hungry. All I want is to be healthier but I keep getting in my own way!!! GRR How does everyone else control a crappy craving?

Listen to your body.

I know that is hopelessly cliche and almost pointless, but hear me out.

1) Your cravings are telling your something. Your body doesn't just want "a whopper" or "french fries" your body is usually telling you that it needs a certain nutrient like salt, fats, carbs etc. So when you are craving something understand that there is probably a healthy alternative that will hit the spot. Reaching for nuts or some fruit (and usually a small amount) will knock out most of your cravings.

2) Cravings don't simply build and build, they hit you in waves. If you wait them out long enough they usually pass (temporarily) and you can deal with them then by eating something that you won't regret.
  • hthurman
    hthurman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a fast food junkie as well and always have been. I do not completely take it out of my diet because I've learned over the years if I do then I will just binge and lose all that I've accomplished. With that being said, I get a plain burger if I do go and try to avoid fries at all costs but sometimes I can't help it :) Slowly but surely you will get there. I believe that fast food is highly addictive as I quit smoking before I ever could quit eating out! But as others have pointed out, it does get way easier to make better choices the longer it is out of your system.
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just give in, but don't overdo it. Cut it in half or something if it's really calorie-laden. But not everyone is the same. I know giving in might make some people go overboard. For me it satisfies and then I can be done with it and move right along.

Most of all, I try my hardest not to ever beat myself up about it.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead - DON'T LET YOURSELF GET HUNGRY :) If your drive home from work is the problem have a snack that's filling every day around that time! I add in a diet soda sometimes if I'm really craving something bad because that fills up my stomach with the carbonation in addition to the snack :) You'll eventually find a trick that works for you ;) just keep full!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    It's not the junk food you're addicted to, it's the carbs and the processed crap (although McDonalds regular 100% beef patty is actually 100% beef and some of their beef is grass-fed from New Zealand - of course all beef starts out "grass-fed". If they started cattle out on grain they would die - not their natural diet. Instead they go to grain-feeding in the last 2-3 months. It makes them sick and fat - yet for us it's healthy!!??). (Fat isn't addictive; protein isn't addictive; carbs can be very, very addictive for a lot of people).

Drop the carbs and up the fat (up fats with SFAs and MUFAs - not PUFAs) - you will go through withdrawl - aka 'carb flu' - search it on the website I linked to below). I didn't but then my body was crying out for fat and when I upped it it thanked me well! (The battle will always be there. It's like smoking or drinking. You can quit but the "craving" will always be there).

I never eat raw nuts. Soak them overnight to help remove some of the phytic acid..http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nuts-and-phytic-acid/#axzz23dwqfONk
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I second battling through it until the craving dies down. Having a snack in the car with you definitely helps too. After the craving isn't so strong, you can give in once in a while if you want, and you might find that it's not really as good as you remember.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I completely avoid foods that cause me to have cravings. For me that means no more grains, legumes, starches and sugar (well, a little sugar from fruit and rarely honey). Now I have no more cravings, addictions, or binging and I feel like Super Woman. Go figure.

I also live in a town where there are zero restaurants, but our choice of food at our two stores isn't exactly ideal either. I do the best I can with what I have.

For illustration, a couple of weeks ago my child wanted some corn chips which were still in the house after I had changed back to eating healthy. So, I gave her some and was tempted. I thought that I could have three (with no dip). Wrong, I had 15. Yeah, that's not exactly a falling-off-the-wagon binge but it could've lead to that so it reminded me why I eat the way I do. Now to get my occasional salsa/sour cream/cheese fix I just use celery. Yum.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It really is just a matter of deciding what's more important to you and resolving to do whatever it takes to reach your goals.

Having said that arrange your daily food intake to allow for the occasional treat. I suspect may people struggle with "dieting" because they look at foods in absolute terms of good and bad - in moderation there are no "bad" foods. On your treat day grab those nuggets and a diet soda and give yourself a pat on the back for sticking to your plan.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hmm your craving is different to a usual craving. A usual craving is something you can pull out of the fridge/cupboard, but with yours you have to go out of your way to get it ... just STOP. Be in control - the feeling of being able to say no to something is immense.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It's not the junk food you're addicted to, it's the carbs and the processed crap (although McDonalds regular 100% beef patty is actually 100% beef and some of their beef is grass-fed from New Zealand - of course all beef starts out "grass-fed". If they started cattle out on grain they would die - not their natural diet. Instead they go to grain-feeding in the last 2-3 months. It makes them sick and fat - yet for us it's healthy!!??). (Fat isn't addictive; protein isn't addictive; carbs can be very, very addictive for a lot of people).

Drop the carbs and up the fat (up fats with SFAs and MUFAs - not PUFAs) - you will go through withdrawl - aka 'carb flu' - search it on the website I linked to below). I didn't but then my body was crying out for fat and when I upped it it thanked me well! (The battle will always be there. It's like smoking or drinking. You can quit but the "craving" will always be there).

I never eat raw nuts. Soak them overnight to help remove some of the phytic acid..http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nuts-and-phytic-acid/#axzz23dwqfONk

Hey, you have some awesome advice there. Blessings to you to have the guts to share it on a non paleo/primal post! Those of us who just feel so good can't seem to stop trying to help others; then we get ripped apart (not always, just sometimes).

I eat far more fat that even most paleo people and it's kick *kitten* for getting rid of hunger and binging issues. I feel GREAT and the side effect is weight loss; win win.

I haven't tried the soaking nuts thing. I don't seem to have any issue with them and don't eat them very often. Mostly I have organic walnuts and macadamias. My faves. I'll look into it though; just thinking I might waste too many nuts since I only eat them when my body tells me to and it's hard to predict.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have a HORRIBLE addiction to fast food I can make myself go a day or two with out it but then three days later I am in the drive through for Chicken nuggets and a pop. It makes me sad that I can't keep myself eating right. I have like zero self control when I am in the car and hungry. All I want is to be healthier but I keep getting in my own way!!! GRR How does everyone else control a crappy craving?

Have you tried realizing you aren't an impulsive 2 year old and an actual adult. I did that once helped a lot.