You should have had a V8

Options
Lately I have been TRYING to eat cleaner and healthier. I picked up a V8 for the first time in forever. I looked at the label and it says it has reconstituted vegetable juice and natural flavlorings. What the heck is that? Is sounds like recycled to me :)
Is V8 as healthy as it sounds or is it death cleverly packaged?

Replies

• SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Nutritionists?? Self Made Guru's??
  • CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem with V8 is the amount of sodium. It's comparatively huge. And "natural flavoring" can mean anything - a quick Google will show you how much leeway companies have with terms like that.

Reconstituted vegetable juice, I imagine, is where they condense it, like into a tomato paste, and then add water again later. Saves on space and weight, for shipping, but isn't a terribly attractive concept.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been TRYING to eat cleaner and healthier. I picked up a V8 for the first time in forever. I looked at the label and it says it has reconstituted vegetable juice and natural flavlorings. What the heck is that? Is sounds like recycled to me :)
    Is V8 as healthy as it sounds or is it death cleverly packaged?

It's healthy--at least as healthy as juice can be. It really does give you the vitamins and minerals found in vegetables. Of course, to make those veggies into a palatable drink, a lot of sodium is added. So, it really depends on which way you are looking at it. It's better than eating no veggies at all.

The reconstituted vegetables is like OJ from concentrate. They take out the water to ship and then put the water back in.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure its kind of like concentrated and then mixed back with water. Obviously its not going to have the nutrition or volume that its solid counter parts have but I wouldn't completely toss it out if getting your vegetables in is a problem.
  • SaraBelle0312
    Options
    Doesn't concentrate take out/destroy essential vitamins? I am not arguing just asking for more information. :)
  • SaraBelle0312
    Options
    Anyone?
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    All I know is I think they're disgusting, but I guess if you can't get fresh juice, then it's got to be better than nothing at all?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    V8 is nasty as hell
    Why not just eat some fruit and veggies?
  • SaraBelle0312
    Options
    LOL, I'm addicted to veggies. I just picked it up today for gits and shiggles. ( I actually love the taste)
    I was just surprised to see that info on the label considering its supposed to be whole vegetables.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    its good for avoiding a hangover.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    V-8 juice is awesome! I love it! :heart: :drinker:
  • kayfrog
    kayfrog Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Try Bolthouse Farms juices, they are 100% natural, filling and tasty.
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I drink low sodium V-8. It is better for you and I do not drink it everyday just once in a while when I need that boost of energy.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I drink low-sodium V8 every few days. I like it a lot. Certainly a better choice than a can of soda.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You're better off making your own veggie smoothies.

You did just make me want a bloody mary though :)
  • masarc
    masarc Posts: 12
    Options
    My guess is it's not healthy. I know for one thing it has way too much sodium in it, but try researching it i'm sure some fitness guru somewhere has written an article about it.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The spicy V-8 is a pretty good base for a high-sodium bloody mary!
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    From concentrate, as far as I know, doesn't take out any vitamins or nutrients. It just gives it longer shelf-life.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack, but a related question...

Has anyone tried the V8 Fusion? Supposedly a newer version of the regular V8, but with fruit juice added?
  • stlhrs
    stlhrs Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have 12oz of V8 every morning. I'm not a big veggie eater (getting better at that) and V8 gets me my "servings". Get the low-sodium version though. A splash of Tabasco does wonders for the taste (a little vodka and you've got a bloody mary...not in the morning of course).

Thought about buying a juicer but then figured V8 was close enough and less mess.