WHY DO PEOPLE EAT BACK THEIR EXERCISE CALS?!

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• jimvandam33
    jimvandam33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I dont cause i need to lose weight
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Cool.

Now that it's rolled over, it will stop showing in the "my topics" of the people who kept bumping it back to the top by posting, "Why won't this thread die?!" :laugh:
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    LOL jeez. one simple question and it lasted 20+ pages!!! Silly people
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    This might seem too complex for people, but I could give 2 craps about eating back exercise calories, just seems stupid as hell to do it. Eat a set level of calories daily, and have a consistent weekly activity sced. If you're losing weight, carry on. If you're not, drop that set calorie amount a touch until you're losing weight.

Why do people see the need to over complicate things. o.O
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Eat a set level of calories daily, and have a consistent weekly activity sced. If you're losing weight, carry on. If you're not, drop that set calorie amount a touch until you're losing weight.

So how low would you have suggested I go years ago when I was eating around 700-800 calories a day and only losing a half pound every other week? Should I have kept shaving off more and more calories?

I fully agree with eating a set level of calories, but not if you're using the calories that MFP suggests because your exercise is NOT included in your calorie goal until you do it and log it.

I will lose weight if I eat 1900 calories a day and keep on exercising like I am. Or I can have MPF set my calories to 1500 and earn more calories when I exercise. The calorie total will be about the same. But I like the extra motivation of earning extra calories. It's positive reinforcement. It might seem over-complicated to some... but those of us with basic math skills know how the numbers add up.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Forum hiccup. Double post.
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I will go back to what I said earlier....

Make things easier on yourself don't eat and don't exercise then there is no concern then you also don't have to worry about counting or not counting!

.....then you have tons of free time on your hands!

If i eat 1200 and I burn 1200 calories then I have zero calories for the day; goal accomplished! Right?

People....a 1200 calorie diet (for women) is based on NO exercise; this is what you need to function and live a healthy life. When you burn the calories it is like you never ate them; therefore, you must eat more to meet the 1200 calorie daily intake. When the doctor or nutritionist tells you to "eat" 1200 calories this is based on NO exercise so if you exercise you have to eat more to start with OR eat back your calories!

Lets' say it takes 3 logs to keep a fire going; if they all burn to ashes what will happen to the fire if you don't replace the logs???
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    So how low would you have suggested I go years ago when I was eating around 700-800 calories a day and only losing a half pound every other week? Should I have kept shaving off more and more calories?
    1) Your math skills were wrong and you were eating far more than you thought back then. This is the most common culprit.

2) Your screwed your metabolism by eating too few calories and only doing low impact cardio for exercise for a long period of time. In which case, the issue is not that you weren't eating back your exercise calories, but that you screwed your body. The fix would be to start resistance training, up your calories to about 2k for a few weeks, then settle back into a normal lower deficit of about 1700 and slowly dropping from there while continuing resistance training.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I didn't account for any exercise calories then, because I was always under the (misguided) impression "eat less, move more." I had a very physically demanding job at the time. That was, as I said, YEARS ago. But I know what I ate, and it was admittedly crap. A 90 cal granola bar for breakfast. Something microwavable for lunch (250-300 cal?). Another granola bar for a snack (90 cal) and maybe a banana (100 cal). And another frozen dinner for dinner (250-300). I ate a little more on the weekends. And yes... I did trash my metabolism.

Like I said, that was YEARS ago. This time around, I ate an average of 1800-2000+ calories or more during my entire weight loss, and never once had to drop my calories. Instead, I increased them as my goal got closer. I started at 1200 plus exercise calories for maybe a month, then 1350, then 1450, then 1500, then 1600... with a typical burn of 300-600 calories.

1700 and under for a total calorie goal would suck donkey scrotums.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Good response Icesk8trmom! There is clearly a lot of misinformation on here.

Erica
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    This is still alive? Impressive.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I'm hungry. I'm going to eat back my exercise calories! Or drink them...not sure yet. :drinker:
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Your diet should include it's own deficit... eating back calories burnt from excersize is just normal... I don't see what the issue is?

I do it... and I lose 1kg+ a week...
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I don't get why either! I want to burn more than I eat!
  • whoviangleek
    Options
    I only do it when I feel like I'm starving. But I never eat all of them.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I will go back to what I said earlier....

Make things easier on yourself don't eat and don't exercise then there is no concern then you also don't have to worry about counting or not counting!

.....then you have tons of free time on your hands!

If i eat 1200 and I burn 1200 calories then I have zero calories for the day; goal accomplished! Right?

People....a 1200 calorie diet (for women) is based on NO exercise; this is what you need to function and live a healthy life. When you burn the calories it is like you never ate them; therefore, you must eat more to meet the 1200 calorie daily intake. When the doctor or nutritionist tells you to "eat" 1200 calories this is based on NO exercise so if you exercise you have to eat more to start with OR eat back your calories!

Lets' say it takes 3 logs to keep a fire going; if they all burn to ashes what will happen to the fire if you don't replace the logs???
    :noway:
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    WHY NOT?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I eat back some these days because I feel like I am starving. I am still losing.

Do whatever you want and I will do whatever I want. I don't eat all my exercise calories back, but that's neither here nor there.

Ive noticed lot of people do either or.. i was just wondering why the people who do eat them back do it to begin with! I just dont get it!
    The only way i can understand them doing this is if they went WAY over their calories to begin with and needed to work them off. Then technically they "ate" their exercise cals

Just my personal experience, but if I do eat a little of my exercise calories back, I lose more *shrug*

Same here. When I burn more AND eat more (healthfully), I lose more than just working out and eating less.
    same.