starting over...work 12hr night shifts....

Options
Hello!
I am starting over for what seems to be the hundreth time trying to lose this added weight. I work 12hr nights three times a week. Needless to say because of this, I have put on tons of weight! My sleep schedule is so messed up and the most sleep I will get would be six hours on a good day. My metabolism has slowed down tremendously because of this. I am also a mother, so I sleep when able. School will be starting up again soon, so sleep will be easier. I have done some research online to see what would be good snacks and when to eat. I hate fruits and veggies, so trying to figure out how to get those in as well. Hope to be going to dayshift soon, but for now I need to get started. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks!

Replies

• lashawn561
    lashawn561 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I work from 7pm-7:30am 3 times a week also. I'm going back to school Next Monday. It's definetly not going to be easy. But you can do it!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    When I did night shifts, I found the most effective thing for my health was not to eat during the shift. I would take a 2 litre bottle of water to work and just drink that all night. That gave me much more energy than when I was eating during the shift. And then I would go home and sleep, then get up at 2, and eat and then go swimming. And then eat again before the shift. (My shifts were 8:00pm to 7:00am) That's how I managed to stop being totally exhausted from night shifts. But I never liked them - they are very hard on the body.
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't work 12 hour shifts, but I do work 9 hour shifts at night, I work in a bar. I need to start just drinking water during my shift, well I should say more water.
  • pookerdoodle
    pookerdoodle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for some ideas fellow fitness pals! I'm not sure I can go through the entire 12hrs without eating. I have already tried that. I do drink quite a bit of water now. usually I flavor it with those generic mio flavors. Today I started just plain water after drinking a full glass of a metabolism booster I found on pinterest. I took an apple, sliced it, and some cinnamon sticks, added it to a pitcher of water, let it sit over night to absorb the flavor, and tried it this morning. Not bad so far...especially if it is to get a jump start on my metabolism. Hopefully it will work! I do not seem to be tired as I usually am at this time of the day. I do have to work tonight, so I usually would have taken a nap by now. I had a snack of some 100cal pack cocoa roasted almonds. Yum! I am now drinking a V-fusion sparkling tangerine raspberry. I guess since I don't like fruits and veggies....this is the best way to get a portion in, until I can try to like them...best of luck to everyone! I can use any motivation or weight loss buddies!!!