asthmatics getting into shape

Options
Hi Guys and Gals,

So I'm an asthmatic been one since about 2006 and I'm curious to know if anyone on here has asthma as well? If you do how do you guys get through a work out? Especially the Cardio workout? For me some days are better than others and I'm trying not to have to take my meds because of the fatigue feeling I get after I take them. Just looking to see if anyone does things differently that allows them not to have an attack. Curious to see what other asthmatics have to say.

Thanks guys and good luck reaching your fitness goal.

=)

Replies

• LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm an asthmatic too, have been all my life. I take my preventative as normal in the mornings, but also take my preventative about half an hour to an hour before I go to the gym or swimming etc just as a precaution. I also always take my emergency one with me, just in case it decides to flare up. I started a gym about 4 weeks ago & so far have not had any issues doing things this way, but your GP would know more about your individual requirements & likely to be able to advise on a personal level. I did find it hard to start with in regulating breathing, but as far as I know, that's normal for everyone who has not done vigorous exercise for a long while, it soon becomes easier though.
  • bugsybanks
    Options
    Yea my GP told me I should take it before I just don't like taking the meds when I don't have to you know? but thanks for the tip. and congrats on the 61 pounds lost. Keep it up =)