Pesto!

Options
grecogab90
grecogab90 Posts: 77 Member
Anyone have a healthy recipe for pesto, I've looked at the grocery store. Those ones are not even close to being healthy! I'm open for suggestions. :)

Replies

• Dorianlg
    Dorianlg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So I have a great recipe for arugula pesto that I see no reason you couldn't also make with basil.
    http://inmykitchengarden.blogspot.com/2006/05/arugula-pesto-takes-over-kitchen.html
    What cuts down on the calories considerably is the use of chickpeas instead of pine nuts. It tastes delicious. You could also experiment with replacing a little of the oil with water, I suspect it wouldn't hurt the recipe any.
    Good luck finding more recipes!
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Here is how I make my version of pesto. Pack your food processor with raw spinach and basil leaves, a clove of garlic, a handful of almonds, and an ounce of real parmesan cheese, a pinch of salt and cracked pepper. Wiz in the food processor drizzle in a tablespoon or so of olive oil and add chicken stock to thin to the consistency you like. The spinach has so much natural liquid, I find you need less oil. This raw sauce is amazing with hot cooked orzo and lemon zest to finish.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Here is how I make my version of pesto. Pack your food processor with raw spinach and basil leaves, a clove of garlic, a handful of almonds, and an ounce of real parmesan cheese, a pinch of salt and cracked pepper. Wiz in the food processor drizzle in a tablespoon or so of olive oil and add chicken stock to thin to the consistency you like. The spinach has so much natural liquid, I find you need less oil. This raw sauce is amazing with hot cooked orzo and lemon zest to finish.
    Is that really a lot lower in fat and calories than Pesto?
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Is that really a lot lower in fat and calories than Pesto?

If you split the batch in 4 the break down is:
    115 Cal
    5 Carb
    9 Fat
    6 Pro

The last (and favorite) jar of premade pesto I bought was from Trader joe's - Pesto alla Genovese - per 1/4 cup:
    250 Cals
    3 Carb
    26 Fat
    3 Pro
    Mama mia!!

I'm sure not all pesto is as evil as my fave from TJ's but my home made version is certainly lighter. :flowerforyou:
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Basil, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, pinenuts, salt.

Hey presto. Basil pesto. (Did you like what I did there?)