Tips to lower blood pressure?

jrbowers83
jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
So I was diagnosed with hypertension in Oct. My doctor told me she'd like to see me control it with diet and exercise, before aggressively prescribing me meds that I'd probably have to stay on my whole life (I'm only 26). She said if I just dropped 5 lbs. she thought it would be alot better. She didn't give me any kind of exercise or diet guidelines, actually didn't mention exercise at all, just said "try eating better and drop about 5lbs." So I did some of my own research and found a diet plan that was supposed to help. I lost about 6 lbs. doing that and then happened upon MFP just as I was getting bored with the diet. So it worked out well, and I've dropped 15 lbs since that dr. visit!! I eat lower sodium foods (although last week I had 3 days that I went over on sodium, but have been good the last 2days), and stay within my cals, have less than 25% fat daily, and drink at least 8 glasses of water daily (cut out all caffeine). I've also incorporated moderate cardio activity everday. It started with just a 20 min. walk with the kids each afternoon. Now I do about 60 min everyday of step aerobics, wii fit plus, yoga, jogging, etc. So I've slowly stepped up the intensity. But I try to be really careful not too get too intense, worried that could further my bp problems. (I had a mini-stroke after going to the gym, then running around Chuck E. Cheese on my 24th bday, so I've been kinda scared of exercise). The problem is that just this week I started having the hypertension consistently again (about 150/90). I feel constantly swollen, dizzy or even faint sometimes, fatigued, etc. Even with staying within my cal goals all week and drinking all my water, I have gained 1.5 lbs. this week and I assume it's all water weight. So I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of some foods or exercises that can help to naturally lower my blood pressure, or is it time to say that diet and exercise are not gonna do it alone and see the doctor?

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I say it's time to talk to the doc again. My blood pressure came down since June when I started exercising regularly, but hasn't come down to where I'd like it to be yet- it takes a while. You'll probably want to start on a fluid pill. I recently stopped taking mine because it was drying my skin out severely, and with these Canadian winters, it was unbearable. I haven't been back to the doc yet to check the damage.

Definitely check in with your doctor.
  • kksam
    kksam Posts: 38
    I don't have a blood pressure issue, but have to keep track of my B/P. Do you have a machine at home, and are you doing a daily record of what it reads? Check early morning after you get up and after you work-out. Even before you retire at night. Do this for a few weeks and see what you normal readings are. Also do you use a heart monitor when you work out? I had a non-stresss test that showed anything over 140, part of my heart doesn't work like it should. So I was given a heart cath and told all looked good, but to monitor when I work out and keep it below 130/min. Also I have keep a daily log of my B/P and you'd be surprise how the numbers can differ from the doctor's office. Be sure to show the daily reading to your doctor as it gives him a better reading of your B/P. My B/P machine is easy to use and cost about $40 and the same with my heart monitor. It keeps my mind at ease and that keeps my B/P in range. Remember that stress from worry can raise the B/P. I know the cost may be a little high .....but there are higher ones out there. They are worth the peace of mind you get. Good luck:smile:
  • jrbowers83
    Thanks for the tips on daily readings. I haven't invested in a machine myself, but I use my mom's or go to the pharmacy once a day to check it. I try to make sure and get readings when I haven't been very active or stressed, because they say that's the most accurate. I think maybe it is time to keep one on hand. And I've been saving up for a HRM, but I heard the $40 ones were duds, so hoping to get a better quality one. I just try to listen to my body when I'm working out. If I start to get dizzy, feel rushing in my head, or get excessively flushed, I cool down and rest. But you're right, I'm stressing over being stressed and that probably really doesn't help the bp any. I need to schedule a physical with my doctor soon anyway, so think I'll go get a bp monitor this week, and check in with the doctor next week or so.
  • Hello, I have high blood pressure, well not anymore. Only b/c its controlled. I work-out 4 times a week and I take 25mg of Hydrochlorot (its a water pill as well) Helps takes some weight off too.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    I was able to get off all 3 of my blood pressures meds (Accupril, Plendil, and HCTZ) by losing the weight. One thing I think that really helped is by getting at least 30 grams of fiber per day. Just daily walking was all the exercise I needed to lower it.
  • Thats great! I wonder why I'm still taking my meds. They haven't taken me off mines yet and my pressure has lowered beyond high risk, but you know what...it goes up and down. Lately though its been great. I need to get some of this weight off pronto.
  • jrbowers83
    Wow, it sounds like there are a couple of ppl on medication for the blood pressure. I kept looking at it like it was such a scary thing. Mainly for me it was because my mom and I started having the same blood pressure readings, and I just felt like "how old am I? Why am I having the same medical issues as my mother who is 32 yrs older than me?" But I guess if it makes me feel better, I need to give it a shot. My blood pressure problems started after (during?) my first pregnancy. I have severe preeclampsia in the last month, and my bp skyrocketed just before delivery. They had to put me on magnesium sulfate in the hospital, and then I was on a beta blocker for about 6mos. after having him. The beta blocker made me very tired, dizzy, nauseous. I had a lot of trouble between those meds, the pain meds for my c-section, and just being a sleep-deprived first time mom in general taking care of my son. As he started getting older, the blood pressure seemed to steady out a bit until I had the mini-stroke. Even then the doctors didn't put me on any meds, just told me to slow down on my cardio. Then I started gaining back a little weight, and got pregnant with my second child. I got severe preeclampsia 7 mos into that pregnancy and spent 2 mos. on bed rest. I went into labor with her 2 weeks before her due date. She was also delivered via c-section because she had some heart problems and my bp was so high the doctor said neither of us would have tolerated the labor. But my bp went down to normal as soon as she was delivered, so I thought "no problem", but over the last year my blood pressure started going up again and led up to Oct. being 152/93. It had been in the prehypertensive to hypertensive range all through the summer as well. Guess I should just suck it up and not worry about the meds. Maybe ask for a diuretic (water pill) rather than a beta blocker. IDK. Thanks again guys for your support :smile:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    I agree you should talk to your doctor.

Honestly, losing weight didn't do much for my blood pressure but choosing the right foods did. My dad's heart doctor mentioned that you have to increase potassium as well as lower sodium and as 34to35 said fiber also. Beans are a great source of fiber and potassium. I also treat mine with grapefruit but if you are on medication you have to watch when you eat it. My dad's doctor recommended orange juice and bananas. Yogurt is also high in potassium and calcium. Herbal teas and green tea have helped me release water. If you are insulin resistant you blood pressure will continue to be high until you get that corrected.
    Over exercising can make you bp worse. As 34to35 said, walking is enough. If you are breathing really heavy (out of your mouth) you are probably working to hard.

You may want to check our Dr Oz's site that has some recommendations on how to lower blood pressure.

Good luck.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I'm about your age (25) and I was on the cusp of high blood pressure before I changed things in September. I normally ran around 130/85 or a little higher. High BP runs in my family but it's not something I want for myself.
    I almost immediately saw a drop in my blood pressure to a healthy range once I started eating well and exercising. I'd say within 2-3 weeks I was consistently in a healthy range - 120/70 or so. And then it continued to drop so much that I started researching hypOtension since I was regularly 105/55 or so. But, since I have no symptoms of hypotension I'm alright. It hasn't dropped anymore and normally I'm from 100/55 to 115/65.

When I started exercising I started mainly with biking -- stationary and regular. It's a nice low impact exercise that gets your heart rate up, but not too much.
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    I am 27, and have been on bp meds since my first pregnancy (at 24). I am on a very low dose now, and will hopefully be able to stop taking them by the end of the year! I know that eating foods high in potassium is suppose to be good for your blood pressure. Good luck, and don't be afraid to take meds if you need them, but continue your lifestyle efforts so that the meds will be a temporary thing.
This discussion has been closed.