Call of Duty + Chocolate = Fatty

Options
Until a couple weeks ago that was me. I couldn't wait for the family to go to bed, flip on the XBOX and pull out whatever delicious-creamy-crunchy-covered in chocolate thing(s) I had collected that day. My son said to me once "Mommy...Dad collects hockey cards and you just collect food!" as he poked my belly. Him saying that kind of hurt, but he was 4 and cute.... he was also right.

He's 12 now and my collection has only grown (so has the hockey card hoard, which takes up every available cupboard and closet in my house! but that's a story for another day...like Monday at 9...on Hoarders)

I get it now. For the million times I've tried to lose weight, I thought that just controlling the food would do the trick because I'm so active at work. The truth is, if I wasn't working I'd weigh like 600 lbs. I tracked my food for a week before joining and my average calorie intake was between 4500-5500 a DAY!!!! On top of that, I wasn't sleeping (XBOX) I was miserable all the time, I had withdrawn from every social activity I could. I was withdrawn, that's the word.

My father died at the age of 30 from a heart attack due to high cholesterol. I've outlived him now by 3 years and that scares the s*** out of me. I won't let that happen, I don't know why it's taken me so long to face this. Actually I do, It's called denial, depression, anxiety and fear. I saw my doctor and he recommended Weight Watchers. Boo on that. I have no doubt it works, but MFP is free and I think it's going to be just as effective.

It's only been a week for me on MFP, but I feel different this time. The convenience of having the app on my phone is a life-saver. I've decided that I will ignore the scale as much as I can and just concentrate on how I feel. I hope I get to that ''magic'' place where I will actually look forward to exercising. Right now, I'm doing some yoga and a little cardio, focusing on strengthening my knees and ankles, some day I will run!

Too bad Call of Duty doesn't burn many calories eh? I don't think I can give that up just yet. But I'll eat some celery and hummus while kicking enemy *kitten* instead!

Thanks for reading. There are so many inspiring, beautiful and strong people here. I don't really have much support at home so I hope to make some new friends. Good luck everyone!

Replies

• UNTOLDSMILE
    UNTOLDSMILE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That Call of Duty is a hard one to get away from huh lol! Getting started is always the hardest. After the first week it gets easier. Sounds like you are of to a great start already.
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You sound like me and Halo, lmao. I have stopped playing those games, and started playing with the Kinect!
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Xbox kicks *kitten*. It's great that you have to come to the realization that it will make you fat if you let it. We used to make hot pretzels with cheese dip late on Fri/Sat night and play. I have had a whole change in mindset since I joined MFP. I am trying new foods that I would have never tried before. And I now look forward to working out just to see how many cals I can burn. Keep plugging away at it and I bet you will find yourself starting to think differently about working out. We now have a rule, if I want to Xbox I must work out first :))
  • slimsilva
    Options
    I too have had a similar situation, and not much support at home. Friend me if you'd like. Good luck!
  • rosemariecoburn
    Options
    Hi my name i Rose and your story sounds like mine, except I'm over the hill so to speak and my mother had a major stoke at 53 held my breath but i made it. try MFP but got discouraged as usal and stopped. My DR. says never give up just keep trying untl it works for you. Would like some accountablity parterns. MFP works if you are faithful to tracking. Great people are willing to be there for you if you ask, I didn't last time. You are the first person I've reply to but not the last.
  • jbloomfj
    jbloomfj Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am not into games, but i know what you mean when their is not much support from home. Feel free to send me a friends request if you wish
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    you can be healthy and still play video games.

work out before you play. ditch the carbs.

i know it sucks, you spent more time cooking. hard thing to get used to.

when i was really addicted to gaming, i ate the fastest things i could make, frozen food, pizzas, etc.

the hardest thing for me was taking the time (3 times a day) to cook something. i was like noooo i just want to plaayy!

then i played sw:tor. a new game! time passed in the blink of an eye, was so easy not to eat.

anyway, now i have a happy balance of not gaming too much, exercising, kiddo time, and cooking.
  • grinner30
    grinner30 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Between hours of computer games mixed with miniature Reese's over several years and a working on computers not moving all day...I know your pain. Age dos not help either! Hope you Family and friends support and inspire you to keep going! MFP has helped me greatly!

Exercise your butt off and then play all you want. The best of both worlds...if you can find time.
  • floydypants
    floydypants Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Get a mini trampoline and bounce on it in between games!
  • Rayzback
    Rayzback Posts: 73
    Options
    Pick up that Nike + Kinnect for the Xbox in a few more months :}
  • BabyLeila23
    Options
    Good Luck on your journey :) There are so many supportive people on here. You'll do great :)