Dangers of low calorie diets - link

Options

Replies

• skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Everyone is different. Look at my diary for the day so far. I just looked at someone else's who has already had 1470 calories and finished it out for the day. This person only had 4 things listed. Two came from fast food. She logged exercise so she had more than the regular 1200 she is set for. I went back a few days. Same thing every day. Compare my diary to something like that, I have tons of foods listed and most are nutritious.

No one should starve themselves. Ever. There are no good reasons to starve yourself. I have barely cut anything out. No more ketchup, no more red meat 2x a week and I've changed my coffee creamer. That's it. Add the my old creamer amount back and I would have 400 or so more calories a day. Yeah, I know that's sad.

Some people can't eat certain foods so calorie counts will automatically be lower. I would not recommend anyone trying to eat below 1000 calories long term to lose weight. I do however get so offended when people say everyone who does is starving themselves. I eat tons of food every day!

I don't like my sodium levels being so high today but it rarely happens.

People need to focus more on what nutrients are going into their bodies instead of the calorie count.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    http://www.quickbmr.com/what-is-tdee.html

go here to find out your tdee (total daily energy expenditure) and that'll help you find your BMR (basal metobolic rate). BMR is what you would need to consume, at MINIMUM, if your body were just laying in bed all day.

you should be eating in between you TDEE and BMR. unfortunatly some people get confused and eat below their BMR, which causes their weight lose to suffer.

I just did that ^ it says 1502 BMR and 1802 TDEE ... seriously? I'm aiming at about 1320 daily which is what MFP set for loss of 1lb a week. The more I read the more confused I get!
    But I do get the eating very low thing is not a healthy way to lose and eating more is definitely the way to go. I was at 1200 daily and weight loss slowed up - pretty much stopped. Increasing to 1320 has kick-started it off again. But I'm a bit too scared to go as high as 1500!

small changes. increase in incriments of 100 calories every two weeks.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options

That is very interesting. I read a large part of it, but will have to finish later when I have more time. Thanks!
  • skonly
    Options
    Dr. Bernstein is the one with the low carb diabetic diet plan? He has clinics where patients are monitored.

I think his plan is to help people with an immediate need and then learn healthy eating.

People, on any diet plan, will gain the weight back if they don't learn to eat healthy. Why is that so hard to understand?
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I do however get so offended when people say everyone who does is starving

That applies to 99% of the people. You may have a rare condition that limits you to certain foods or certain calories but those are 'supervised'. And 'rare'.

There are many teenagers on this site, some even younger than 18 on perfectly healthy weight, whose bodies are still not done with growing up and who will screw their bodies up in pursue of 'seeing bones'.

Do you think people should ignore that and act as if it's completely normal to live on a calorie intake of a 6 year old on a site where you tick a box and put the age you want?
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    LOL at this site (mentioned by the OP)
    Losing weight by following a sensible weight loss regimen will more likely result in long-term success in keeping the weight off.

Then at the top of the page...
    3 Day Miracle Diet

This 3 days miracle diet will not only help you to lose weight fast, but also.....

I didn't post it for laughs. It was your choice to pay attention to any other link on the site I shared.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    Meh, this article is pretty general. It depends how they are done and it what context.
    Some don't know the basics so this is something for those type of people to consider.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, but there are plenty of instances where a low calorie way of eating is applicable and healthy.

With the obesity rate where it is at, the majority of human beings have plenty of fat to spare where a low calorie way of eating IS the way to go.

Of course someone with 25 pounds or less to lose would not want to eat low calorie, but the remainder of overweight people will do just fine eating low calorie.

No need to get all in a frenzy about it.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    I am sorry, but there are plenty of instances where a low calorie way of eating is applicable and healthy.

With the obesity rate where it is at, the majority of human beings have plenty of fat to spare where a low calorie way of eating IS the way to go.

Of course someone with 25 pounds or less to lose would not want to eat low calorie, but the remainder of overweight people will do just fine eating low calorie.

Eating too little is just as dangerous as over eating or maybe worse. That's all I'm saying.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You are going to have those leaping on here now crying "My doc says i can and therefore its fine!!!".
    However I am being a hypocrite at the moment because I am trying to stay under 1000 a day. It is for a week or two to see if i can start losing again.
    I hit a plateau then put on 4lbs somehow (I really do not know how, I log all my food and have stuck to around 1250 a day). So i thought I would try this to see if it kick starts something inside me so that I start losing again.

http://www.quickbmr.com/what-is-tdee.html

go here to find out your tdee (total daily energy expenditure) and that'll help you find your BMR (basal metobolic rate). BMR is what you would need to consume, at MINIMUM, if your body were just laying in bed all day.

you should be eating in between you TDEE and BMR. unfortunatly some people get confused and eat below their BMR, which causes their weight lose to suffer.

Thank you so so much for that link. It does the work for you working all that out!!!

HOWEVER. There IS NO NO WAY i could eat all those cals. No way on earth. I could never eat 1800 and lose weight.

I've been eating 2500 calories a day and lost 17 lbs in a month.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Eating too little is just as dangerous as over eating or maybe worse. That's all I'm saying.

Eating low carb/high calorie is a lot safer and healthier than eating next to nothing at all.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

Eating low carb/high calorie is a lot safer and healthier than eating next to nothing at all.

Obviously lol not eating at all or even lower than what the link says will kill you.
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    You know it might seem counter productive but what has always worked for me when I stop losing is to raise calories by around 250.
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • skonly
    Options

That applies to 99% of the people. You may have a rare condition that limits you to certain foods or certain calories but those are 'supervised'. And 'rare'.

There are many teenagers on this site, some even younger than 18 on perfectly healthy weight, whose bodies are still not done with growing up and who will screw their bodies up in pursue of 'seeing bones'.

Do you think people should ignore that and act as if it's completely normal to live on a calorie intake of a 6 year old on a site where you tick a box and put the age you want?

Did I say it's normal to live on a calorie intake of a 6 year old? No. I did not.

My point is not everyone needs the same amount of calories. I tracked my food for over a year and only on a few holidays did I ever get anywhere close to eating what most people consider their low calorie goal. But then again, I'm not eating dessert and fast food. I don't have anything with gluten and the only dairy I have would be small amounts of cheese.

My point is that everyone is quick to jump all over anyone not eating what they consider to be the right amount. What I came on and made a blanket statement that most people on here are going to die of heart disease because they eat too much fat? Or should I point out that too many people are using intense workouts to cram another 1000 calories of crap food in their mouths? Why not? It's not healthy. They are still hurting their bodies by stuffing their faces with double cheeseburgers and fries and milkshakes every day. Do I jump all over people when they tell someone half their size to eat more and it doesn't matter if they exercise? No.

I have looked through all my friends diaries and the only ones losing weight are the ones eating healthy foods. The ones who are not obsessed with calories. We all eat tons of food every day and are fine. I did have one young girl send me a few messages and I made it clear I'm trying to starve myself and told her she needed to eat more and seek help in some way. She was terrified to go over 600 calories. That is an eating disorder. Honestly from what she said I don't think she is overweight to begin with.

No one should tell anyone to go as low as possible but it's just as bad to encourage someone to keep increasing calories when they are already eating 1800 to 2500 a day and complaining they can't lose weight even though they are exercising. I see it all the time. Why can't someone tell them to look at the food log and try to make healthier choice?

I'm out.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    You know it might seem counter productive but what has always worked for me when I stop losing is to raise calories by around 250.
    This makes me ask: me being a woman, how much would I have to consume to burn fat and build muscle?
  • alexbusnello
    Options

Did I say it's normal to live on a calorie intake of a 6 year old? No. I did not.

My point is not everyone needs the same amount of calories. I tracked my food for over a year and only on a few holidays did I ever get anywhere close to eating what most people consider their low calorie goal. But then again, I'm not eating dessert and fast food. I don't have anything with gluten and the only dairy I have would be small amounts of cheese.

My point is that everyone is quick to jump all over anyone not eating what they consider to be the right amount. What I came on and made a blanket statement that most people on here are going to die of heart disease because they eat too much fat? Or should I point out that too many people are using intense workouts to cram another 1000 calories of crap food in their mouths? Why not? It's not healthy. They are still hurting their bodies by stuffing their faces with double cheeseburgers and fries and milkshakes every day. Do I jump all over people when they tell someone half their size to eat more and it doesn't matter if they exercise? No.

I have looked through all my friends diaries and the only ones losing weight are the ones eating healthy foods. The ones who are not obsessed with calories. We all eat tons of food every day and are fine. I did have one young girl send me a few messages and I made it clear I'm trying to starve myself and told her she needed to eat more and seek help in some way. She was terrified to go over 600 calories. That is an eating disorder. Honestly from what she said I don't think she is overweight to begin with.

No one should tell anyone to go as low as possible but it's just as bad to encourage someone to keep increasing calories when they are already eating 1800 to 2500 a day and complaining they can't lose weight even though they are exercising. I see it all the time. Why can't someone tell them to look at the food log and try to make healthier choice?

I'm out.

I didn't mean to offend anybody with this post. I'm not telling you or anyone else to eat more, I just think that by posting something like this would help some people such as myself, not cause drama. This site has too much of that when we should be helping each other and not putting each other down. I agree, everyone's different, but like I said, this could help some people.
  • teletubbie87
    teletubbie87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    that certainly has happened to me... I've bn in a position of eating about 800 cals a day or so and
    still work out then I am all tired, and with crazy headaches... So paranoid now that I have increased 400cals a day,
    aiming to eat 1200 and man , i realize that all those times I stuck to brocolli and lettuce I was eating so little calories,
    no wonder I gained weight =(

Sadly lot of ppl don't know that.. Hope they don't change their calories, just make better food choices,
    whole grains, no white powders, no sodas, etc....