Fruit and veggies: Do you count them?

I was on Weight Watchers prior to joining this site and just counting calories. We didn't count certain veggies in our caloric intake and fruits were something that I never coutned either. I figured that fruit and veggies didn't make me fat, right?!? So, do you guys count your fruit and veggies as part of your caloric intake? I'm not eating an overabundance of them...for example: I ate a small piece of watermelon with my egg for breakfast and I have a tangerine and an apple for snacks today. I'm really at the beginning of my journey so maybe I can get away with not counting them now but if I plateau THEN I should count them? I don't know. Thoughts?

Replies

• MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,518 Member
    I absolutely count them. Some fruits can be really high in carbs and for me this contributes to weight gain and water retention. I also watch my carbs and this is something I look out for. I try to eat fruits that are low in carbs like berries and such.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    I count them. It is easy too, just type it into the food search engine and you can estimate. The usually arn't much but they definitly count for something.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    They are certainly good for you but I count EVERYTHING in and it has worked for me. I want to know more than just calories, too.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    I count everything I eat. Some fruit have a good number of calories, such as an apple or a banana have about 100 calories. Good luck with your journey and I hope you meet your goals.
  • 2011JAM
    2011JAM Posts: 49 Member
    Hi there I dont know much, but i think everything that goes into your mouth that has calories should be counted... Otherwise they add up to lots of calories..... Good luck...
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    if you are going to be counting calories...you will want to include it all. I know many diet plans say you can eat all the fruit and veggies you want because they know its good for you and will fill you up more then if you didnt eat them. That alone would reduce the calories a person eats in a day. Either way works...but if you did want to know how many calories you eat in a day, you should throw it in there.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    All food should be counted. Some fruit and veggies are rather high in calories, and could make a big difference in your calorie intake for the day. I remember seeing something on tv in the past about this guy who ate a bag of apples every day and couldn't figure out why he was getting fat. An apple has around 80 calories. A large potato has over 200 calories. One corn on the cob has about 70 calories- they can definitley add up.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Count those "zero point" veggies because they will feel like you are getting a good deal on calories. Sometimes for a snack I will have a whole cucumber cut up into chunks with vinegar and a little salt. It's only 45 calories for an entire cucumber, so it's still very filling and doesn't take away too many of my calories.
  • Thank you! I appreciate the wisdom.
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    I'd count them.

Specially fruit, since the sugar.
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    i deffinately count them.
    fruits and veggies are good for u so y not count them
  • Definitely count them (as everybody else has said...) but also it's good if you're tracking any nutrients like calcium, vitamin A, Iron, Vitamin C, etc. Since they have calories, and you're tracking calories, it's inconsistent to not log them. As someone reminded me once, the calories still count (have an effect on your body) whether you write them down or not.
  • Very true. I went back and logged them. Thanks!
  • I count them too. Plus, when you look at your full report for the day or week, you can see what you are eating and make changes accordingly. Good luck!