Netting less than 1200 calories?

Options
So I feel like i'm eating enough...granted my diet is getting kind of boring (I do more calories on weekends and more strength training than cardio). Cardio 5 days/week.

I'm netting less than 1200 calories/day on average, as I always aim for a deficit at the end of the day.

I know that there are people who will fly off the handle "That's way too little" or those that believe this is just fine.

I have hit a plateau and have not noticed much weight loss...can you take a look at my diary and give me your thoughts. Honest, polite and straight forward is what I am looking for.

Replies

• alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    So I feel like i'm eating enough...granted my diet is getting kind of boring (I do more calories on weekends and more strength training than cardio). Cardio 5 days/week.

I'm netting less than 1200 calories/day on average, as I always aim for a deficit at the end of the day.

I know that there are people who will fly off the handle "That's way too little" or those that believe this is just fine.

I have hit a plateau and have not noticed much weight loss...can you take a look at my diary and give me your thoughts. Honest, polite and straight forward is what I am looking for.

Your body is getting use to it. Your body now needs more fuel to burn to start losing again. You can't stay that low for very long and expect to be happy with consuming that little while working out. I know from experience. I've lost a lot of muscle by dieting for about two years and I've gotten fatter.... I'm trying to eat more but I've noticed I'm still getting bigger slowly. I know I need to eat more to build muscle back, but how when my metabolism is so low now? I don't even have energy to workout anymore which could e another reason why these inches are sneaking up on me. So I suggest not staying that low anymore and slowly up it.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see what you're doing and help you make changes.
  • DeannaPaige1
    DeannaPaige1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have been either at 1200 calories or lower..for the past 5 months..I lost 45lbs ...I feel great, I'm not starving myself. Ideally, I would say stay at 1200.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see what you're doing and help you make changes.

Fixed it-thanks!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I can't see your journal, but I can't help up wonder if you understand that 1,200 IS a deficit? I don't ALWAYS net 1,200 daily -- but weekly it averages out weekly to at least 1,200 per day -- usually closer 1,600 per day given the week's events.

ETA: Looking at your journal, I don't see much wrong. If you feel satisfied and not feel lightheaded/hungry and your doctor says your are healthy, I would say just stay consistent. Also, if you aren't doing strength training add some in. I lost a lot of inches with just some basic strength training, Scale didn't move but I dropped a size.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't need to look at your diary.

You know the answer.

The answer is you are netting less than 1200 calories.

People don't "fly off the handle" for less than 1200 calories for nothing. It's not healthy. It leads to plateaus. It ruins your metabolism. It makes you lose muscle mass.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    the MFP 1200 cal police will jump on ya.

I always like to suggest seeing a professional about this stuff. But, barring that, I would say eat a little more, and exercise a little more.the more muscle you have the more cals you will burn even when you do nothing :-)
  • brooshie
    brooshie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i eat about 1800-1900 calories a day and work out 750 calories a day and i feel FINE. i've been losing 1.5-2 lbs a week.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I have been either at 1200 calories or lower..for the past 5 months..I lost 45lbs ...I feel great, I'm not starving myself. Ideally, I would say stay at 1200.

That's what I was thinking-I'm not going hungry-and when I feel hungry I will eat a little more...especially when my blood sugar gets low-i never let calories get in the way of treating that...but generally I aim for any deficit below what I've been estimated for the day.
  • Wendyerickson
    Wendyerickson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary. I was always under my 1200 cals. Now that I have reached my goal and have 1580 to eat...I am usually under that too. Don't really care what anyone has to say about it because it has helped me lose weight and I have not gained any back...even if I do go overboard on occasion.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to fly off any handles, but when you have less than 10 pounds to lose, your weight loss is going to be slow. You don't have a lot of fat stores to support a larger deficit. So set your goal to a half pound a week, eat most of your exercise calories, and use measurements, how clothes fit and progress photos (the less you're wearing, the better) to track your progress instead of just relying on the scale.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    the MFP 1200 cal police will jump on ya.

I always like to suggest seeing a professional about this stuff. But, barring that, I would say eat a little more, and exercise a little more.the more muscle you have the more cals you will burn even when you do nothing :-)

Well I do cardio for an hour 5 times/week and then to strength training (ballet and pilates) on the weekend.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I'm not going to fly off any handles, but when you have less than 10 pounds to lose, your weight loss is going to be slow. You don't have a lot of fat stores to support a larger deficit. So set your goal to a half pound a week, eat most of your exercise calories, and use measurements, how clothes fit and progress photos (the less you're wearing, the better) to track your progress instead of just relying on the scale.

Yeah-that is the frustrating thing. I've set it for about a half pound/week. The pictures make me nervous because I'm a little self conscious.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options

You know the answer.

People don't "fly off the handle" for less than 1200 calories for nothing. It's not healthy. It leads to plateaus. It ruins your metabolism. It makes you lose muscle mass.

exactly. check out my video "eat more to weigh less" http://www.youtube.com/jaymebales83
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1,200 per day too and have plateaued. After researching, I believe it has a lot to do with WHAT we are eating. Eating the right foods will be easier for your body to digest and burn. IMO We are in the same boat. I am about to commit to a cleaner diet and see what happens!:happy:
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Someone said earlier that since you have so little to lose, you're going to need to eat more and it's going to take more time. They're right. Your body doesn't see any reason to let go of those 10 pounds, because it just sees that fat as a reasonable buffer against potential famine at some point. My advice would be to set your calorie goal to your BMR, or slightly over, and try to net that every day. Make sure your calories are coming from good healthy sources, and try to watch your carbs and sugars, even fruit sugar, since as a Type 1 diabetic your body is going to react strongly to sugar. Talk to your doctor about what a good range for your sugars would be, since you might have to do things a little differently from people without diabetes. And if you're not doing it already, add in some strength training. You don't have to lift weights if you don't have access to them (I don't), but you can do bodyweight training to help you retain the muscle you have and burn through the fat. Check out www.bodyrock.tv for some ideas, or www.nerdfitness.com.
  • MSeel1984
    Options

You know the answer.

exactly. check out my video "eat more to weigh less" http://www.youtube.com/jaymebales83

So I figured my TDEE and it's approximately 2500 calories/day...and I would want have a deficit of 10% of that...That seems like a LOT...I mean...Granted I'd LOVE to think I could splurge and have some peanut butter right now but...really?
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I'm at 1,200 per day too and have plateaued. After researching, I believe it has a lot to do with WHAT we are eating. Eating the right foods will be easier for your body to digest and burn. IMO We are in the same boat. I am about to commit to a cleaner diet and see what happens!:happy:

For the most part I eat healthy (very little processed foods). I indulge once in a while because I don't want to be one of those people my hubby wouldn't want to take to a restaurant. Some people take it too far.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options

You know the answer.

So I figured my TDEE and it's approximately 2500 calories/day...and I would want have a deficit of 10% of that...That seems like a LOT...I mean...Granted I'd LOVE to think I could splurge and have some peanut butter right now but...really?

Really. Those last few pounds are hard to get off because you have to fuel your metabolism enough to keep it burning efficiently without overeating. So by not creating too large of a deficit, you ensure that your body will keep burning that fat at a slow but steady rate.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Someone said earlier that since you have so little to lose, you're going to need to eat more and it's going to take more time. They're right. Your body doesn't see any reason to let go of those 10 pounds, because it just sees that fat as a reasonable buffer against potential famine at some point. My advice would be to set your calorie goal to your BMR, or slightly over, and try to net that every day. Make sure your calories are coming from good healthy sources, and try to watch your carbs and sugars, even fruit sugar, since as a Type 1 diabetic your body is going to react strongly to sugar. Talk to your doctor about what a good range for your sugars would be, since you might have to do things a little differently from people without diabetes. And if you're not doing it already, add in some strength training. You don't have to lift weights if you don't have access to them (I don't), but you can do bodyweight training to help you retain the muscle you have and burn through the fat. Check out www.bodyrock.tv for some ideas, or www.nerdfitness.com.

I do ballet and pilates to tone up my muscles.

Yeah...Fruit has never been as big of a problem for me as high glycemic index foods (highly processed corn and rice are the kickers...I avoid most breakfast cereal for that reason). My body actually seems to react well to fruit as far as my glyecmic response. Alas, I've had type I for nearly thirteen years so...My doctor and I are pretty familiar with my blood sugars :(