Losing weight after 40....impossible??

Options
124»

Replies

• thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My mother in law tries so hard to lose weight. She's more diligent than I am by far and yet she can't seem to lose more than 5 pounds. It's been months and I genuinely feel for her because she works so hard. She's in her mid 50's and going through menopause. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but maybe. She's currently obese. Not hugely obese, but not simply overweight either.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I will be 56 next month.

Seems to be ok here. :)
    Only issue for me (besides saggy bits) is that no matter what i do my waist will never be as small (proportionately) as it once was when i was younger :(
  • nana6380__Chris
    nana6380__Chris Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    No, I will be 49 in December. In the last 12 weeks I have lost 36 pounds. It's not a diet it's a life style change!! If I can do it anybody can. i have had bi-lateral knee replacments, with one knee braced for almost 1 year after surgery. From recliner to walking 3-5 miles 6 days a week...It can ne done
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm 41

I'm the in the best shape of my entire life. Have battled my weight my whole life too.

I was the heaviest I've ever been at the start of this year - 5'1" tall and 205lbs. I also have a 3.5 yr old and a 2 yr old. I decided to take charge and started WW and excercising, yes it was a New Years Resolution, that I have kept to (for the first time in my life!) We eat healthy, but I don't make myself crazy (I had to stop WW when I hit 20lbs because I was platueing like crazy). Made the switch to just tracking on MFP which made all the difference in the world.

By May I ran my first 5k and as of today, I'm down 45lbs with 25lbs more to go to hit my personal goal.

It's not impossible! You can do it! I should also add, I have some health issues that make it harder to lose weight too, which is why I've always failed at dieting, but I've been determined as hell to lose this weight and keep it off!
  • KerenCutNShoot
    Options
    WOW, way to go. How long did it take you to loose the 28 lbs. I am 49 and wondering when the scale will start to show results.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    It gets harder, but it's not impossible.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and have never looked better in my life.
  • Lori3614
    Options
    For me, stay slim became difficult about 3 years ago when I was48. I am 51 and pre menopausal so I think that is what is making it difficult for me.
  • HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My sister lost 150 pounds through diet and exercise in her early 50s. My mother lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise in her 70s. I lost 20 pounds at age 48 and have maintained it (I'm now 53). I gave birth to triplets at age 30. You can do it.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    My mom has always been into fitness and nutrition, but in her early 40s, she let herself get rather soft and overweight, with a big belly she hated. After a bout of depression about nine years ago, she decided she was going to allow herself to have the body she wanted. She got really into weightlifting and got into incredible shape. A few years ago, she challenged a bunch of guys (who had been giving her condescending crap about how much stronger they were) to a one-handed pushup contest (with feet elevated by the final round) and kicked all their *kitten*, earning the nickname "Diesel." She still sees her trainer every week and works out hard. She looks great, feels great, and eats M&Ms every day because she feels like it and knows it's okay, now at the age of 52.

So no, it's not impossible to lose weight or even to be in the best shape you've ever been in after 40. If you want it, go get it. It's still worth it.
  • IrenieL
    IrenieL Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and have thyroid disease and have lost 12 lbs in the last month . Its not easy that is for sure but its not impossible !
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My mom has always been into fitness and nutrition, but in her early 40s, she let herself get rather soft and overweight, with a big belly she hated. After a bout of depression about nine years ago, she decided she was going to allow herself to have the body she wanted. She got really into weightlifting and got into incredible shape. A few years ago, she challenged a bunch of guys (who had been giving her condescending crap about how much stronger they were) to a one-handed pushup contest (with feet elevated by the final round) and kicked all their *kitten*, earning the nickname "Diesel." She still sees her trainer every week and works out hard. She looks great, feels great, and eats M&Ms every day because she feels like it and knows it's okay, now at the age of 52.

So no, it's not impossible to lose weight or even to be in the best shape you've ever been in after 40. If you want it, go get it. It's still worth it.

Your mom rocks!
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I turn 55 tomorrow. Losing weight after 40 is only impossible if you are dead. Seriously.

I will never give up!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am over 40. I will let my graph progress bar answer that question.
  • zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    NOthing is impossible!!! Is it harder? You bet! It's also much easier to gain weight as you get older. Changing your habits and the way you eat is essential. So is kicking up your activity As we age most of us tend to become less active, we're more tired, we have less time, all kind of reasons. Where we might have stayed out dancing all night, we now go to bed at 10:00 but we still eat the same things.

It's harder, but it's not impossible.

I'll be 53 in October... I've lost this weight since January 1.
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i am 64 yrs old and have lost 75 lbs so far. I had heard that as well, but its not true.....Just keep yourself motivated, stick to a plan and lots of exercise. I have 30 more lbs to go.....Good luck.....