Artificial Sweeteners good or bad?

Options
13»

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    I look at it this way: There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to consume aspartame (or any artificial sweetener). Use sugar and count your calories, or use Stevia and don't look back.

I fully believe that a billion people consume artificial sweeteners every day with no measurable side effects. We used to make buildings with asbestos and paint with lead too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way: There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to consume aspartame (or any artificial sweetener). Use sugar and count your calories, or use Stevia and don't look back.

I fully believe that a billion people consume artificial sweeteners every day with no measurable side effects. We used to make buildings with asbestos and paint with lead too.
    Good reason: for many it subs for high calorie sugar sweetened food or drinks and saves them the calories for other things. The "scare mongering" has obviously influenced you enough not to do it, but unfortunately you don't have any evidence that is EASILY countered by actual CLINICAL STUDIES on artificial sweeteners.
    And you really can't compare past technology study to today's technology of study.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have been reading lately about the harm artificial sweeteners can do to your body. For example, the chemical aspartame is used in diet coke, Snapple, and other diet/healthy drinks and I have discovered several articles about, when consumed for a long period of time, the substitute builds up inside your system and begins to poison it. In one of the articles, a women had gained exessive weight, though already beinging heavy, and lost the ability of mobility. She was exhausted all of the time and was unable to accomplish simple things like walking or sitting up. She became an awake vegetable. She went to plenty of doctors and stumped them all concerning what was causing her illness. One day her sister called her after reading an article about aspartame and diet drinks like diet coke, dr. pepper, etc. The sister told her to immediatly stop drinking diet cokes. In less than 32 hours the immobile woman could walk again. What had happened was that her body had been slowly poisoned with aspartame.

Aspartame is also known to cause:
    blindness in one or both eyes
    dizziness
    depression
    virtigo
    seizures
    slurring of speech
    high blood pressure
    hives
    gradual weight gain
    loss of control of diabetes
    exessive thirst
    irreversible brain damage
    birth defects
    lupus
    chronic fatigue syndrome
    cancer
    etc
    the list goes on and on

So I was wondering, since I would wish and encourage others to avoid these problems, what artificial sweeteners are "okay" to
    use as substitutions for sugar. Is Splenda okay? Sweet n' Low?

Here is a link to one of the websites that confronts and informs readers about aspartame, for credibility purposes.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

You need to learn so here ya go please read and maybe this might revise your way of thinking. :flowerforyou:

"Also, with the exception of aspartame, all of the sweeteners listed below cannot be broken down by the body. They pass through our systems without being digested so they provide no extra calories."

"As with anything, do not go overboard when you using artificial sweeteners."

Size Up Your Sweetener Options
    Don’t know which little packet to choose? Here’s a quick primer on the big three—plus the newcomers stevia and agave nectar. All of them are approved by the Food and Drug Administration, but they do vary in flavor and uses, so you may find you need to do a taste test of your own.

Saccharin
    Brands: Sweet’N Low and Sweet Twin
    Sweetness: 200 to 700 times sweeter than sugar
    Taste: Some people report a bitter aftertaste.
    Safety: First produced in 1879, saccharin is the oldest of the artificial sweeteners. In 1970, a study in rats found that the sugar substitute was associated with bladder tumor growth, resulting in an eat-at-your-own-risk warning on the pink package. Years later, however, the warning was revoked as more than 30 human studies reported no saccharin-tumor connection.
    How to cook with it: The Sweet’N Low brand sells packets as well as a bulk version for baking, a liquid formula, and a brown sugar blend. When baking, replace 1 cup of sugar with 24 packets, 2 tablespoons of saccharin liquid, or 1 cup of brown sugar saccharin.

Aspartame
    Brands: Equal, NutraSweet, Natra Taste
    Sweetness: 180 to 200 times sweeter than sugar
    Taste: There’s no aftertaste associated with aspartame, though some say it has an unnatural flavor.
    Safety: Search the Web for aspartame’s side effects and you’ll find stories about its purported link to cancer, dementia, headaches, and depression. Most scientists (as well as the American Diabetes Association) maintain that the powder is a safe alternative to sugar for people with diabetes. One caveat: Aspartame contains phenylalanine, which can be harmful to people with the rare disease phenylketonuria and should be avoided by them.
    How to cook with it: High temperatures can diminish aspartame’s sweetness, so even though some brands (like Equal) sell bulk versions, most chefs avoid
    baking with them.

Sucralose
    Brand: Splenda
    Sweetness: 600 times sweeter than sugar
    Taste: Though some sugar purists say an aftertaste lingers, most sweetener fans maintain Splenda is the most natural tasting of all.
    Safety: Since Splenda is the newest artificial sweetener to hit the market, there are fewer long-term studies of it than of saccharin and aspartame. That said, the FDA says that Splenda is safe.
    How to cook with it: Splenda sells various baking products, including a granular version that measures cup for cup with sugar. If you use the half sugar blend or half brown sugar blend, replace a cup of sugar with a half cup of the blend.

Stevia
    Brands: Truvia, PureVia, SweetLeaf, Stevia in the Raw, Sun Crystals sugar-stevia blend
    Sweetness: 250 to 300 times sweeter than sugar
    Taste: Some people say the sweetener derived from the whole leaf of the stevia plant leaves behind a licorice taste. Brands that use a purified portion of the leaf known as rebaudioside A have less of an aftertaste.
    Safety: Stevia has been used as a sweetener in Japan for years, but the FDA had previously banned its use because of reports of reproductive problems in lab animals. In late 2008, the FDA approved the purified part of the stevia leaf for American consumption. Look for that form—rebaudioside A—in the list of ingredients when purchasing stevia.
    How to cook with it: Each stevia brand recommends its own sugar-to-stevia ratio (so check your brand’s Web site), and some brands sell the sweetener in liquid or bulk form. A good start is to replace a cup of sugar with 24 packets of stevia.

Agave Nectar
    Brands: Wholesome Sweeteners, Madhava, and Volcanic Nectar, among others
    Sweetness: Somewhat sweeter than sugar, so use between a quarter and an eighth less agave nectar than if you were cooking with regular sugar.
    Taste: The lighter, golden version tastes syrupy while the darker, amber variety has a more intense honey flavor.
    Safety: Agave nectar isn’t carbohydrate or calorie free—it has the same amount of calories and carbs as sugar. But since it’s a food with a low glycemic index, the syrup won’t raise your blood glucose levels as much as sugar or honey do. Plus, it’s sweeter than sugar, so you’ll use less.
    How to cook with it: Sweetening with agave nectar is simple if you’re swirling it into coffee. Things get more complicated when you start baking with the syrup. To adjust a recipe, replace each cup of sugar with two-thirds to three-quarters cup of agave nectar, then reduce all other liquids in the recipe by a quarter. Lower your oven temperature by 25 degrees to prevent burning, and shorten the cooking time on cookies by 3 to 5 minutes and cakes by 7 to 10 minutes.

http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/food-thought/size-your-sweetener-options?page=1

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/artificial-sweeteners/?keymatch=aspartame
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Artificial anything is pretty disgusting to me. Aspartame breaks down into methyl alcohol (methanol), which the body converts into formaldehyde. This is well known science, no one refutes this fact. Certain studies (namely those paid for by Monsanto, the company who makes NutraSweet) are the ones that find "no evidence" that aspartame causes harm. However, there are many more studies that link it with ill effects on the body. The debate lies in the dosage and whether or not formaldeyde build-up occurss in the body. A formaldehyde build up would absolutely cause all of the symptoms you listed, but supposedly it doesn't build up in the body, you just process it like any other toxin. I have done A LOT of reading on this subject and have steered clear of artificial sweetners for nearly 6 years now. Not only did most of my health problems simply vanish, I also dropped 30 lbs without changing anything else about my diet. I guess until studies aren't controlled by manufacturer's we won't ever know the difference, but it's not a risk that I'M willing to take. Personally, I really liked what someone had to say about cutting it and sugar both out and training your taste buds to not crave sweet things. it's better in the long run. I personally try to stay away from anything artificial ESPECIALLY sweetners and food dyes. If you feel the need for something sweet it's best to use a natural sweetner like coconut sugar, honey or blackstrap molasses. Using regular refined sugar has the drawbacks of causing osteoperosis among other things because the body has to draw components out your bones to process it as a usable molecule where as most of the natural sweetners are already complete and also help to keep your blood suger steady instead of spiking it the way table sugar does.

and I would just like to add that for the people on here who keeps griping about "scientific evidence" blah blah blah... please take a look at who pays for the studies. and let's not forgot what tobacco companies did for years. Think about how many years it took us to realizes (or maybe admit) that lead in paint and gasoline was harmful. take a look at who the members of the FDA were at the time aspartame was approved for human consumption, and which companies THEY were affiliated with. The food industry is run like a business with the purpose of PROFIT not the purpose of people's health in mind. Just saying.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Artificial anything is pretty disgusting to me. Aspartame breaks down into methyl alcohol (methanol), which the body converts into formaldehyde. This is well known science, no one refutes this fact. Certain studies (namely those paid for by Monsanto, the company who makes NutraSweet) are the ones that find "no evidence" that aspartame causes harm. However, there are many more studies that link it with ill effects on the body. The debate lies in the dosage and whether or not formaldeyde build-up occurss in the body. A formaldehyde build up would absolutely cause all of the symptoms you listed, but supposedly it doesn't build up in the body, you just process it like any other toxin. I have done A LOT of reading on this subject and have steered clear of artificial sweetners for nearly 6 years now. Not only did most of my health problems simply vanish, I also dropped 30 lbs without changing anything else about my diet. I guess until studies aren't controlled by manufacturer's we won't ever know the difference, but it's not a risk that I'M willing to take. Personally, I really liked what someone had to say about cutting it and sugar both out and training your taste buds to not crave sweet things. it's better in the long run. I personally try to stay away from anything artificial ESPECIALLY sweetners and food dyes. If you feel the need for something sweet it's best to use a natural sweetner like coconut sugar, honey or blackstrap molasses. Using regular refined sugar has the drawbacks of causing osteoperosis among other things because the body has to draw components out your bones to process it as a usable molecule where as most of the natural sweetners are already complete and also help to keep your blood suger steady instead of spiking it the way table sugar does.

and I would just like to add that for the people on here who keeps griping about "scientific evidence" blah blah blah... please take a look at who pays for the studies. and let's not forgot what tobacco companies did for years. Think about how many years it took us to realizes (or maybe admit) that lead in paint and gasoline was harmful. take a look at who the members of the FDA were at the time aspartame was approved for human consumption, and which companies THEY were affiliated with. The food industry is run like a business with the purpose of PROFIT not the purpose of people's health in mind. Just saying.
    Clinical studies by the AMA, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, Journal of Clinical Nutrition, ADA and others aren't bought off.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just sayin' There's a difference between studies of peer review than those that are reported and paid for by the company selling a product.
    And if you've read about formaldehyde, you WOULD know you get more from "natural fruits" so the build up you speak of would be accelerated as long as you kept eating them.:embarassed: More so where is a link showing that sugar causes osteoporosis? Please don't make statements that aren't true.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

and I would just like to add that for the people on here who keeps griping about "scientific evidence" blah blah blah... please take a look at who pays for the studies..... take a look at who the members of the FDA were at the time aspartame was approved for human consumption, and which companies THEY were affiliated with. .

Since you're insinuating something here, why don't you tell us who paid for the studies and who the members of the FDA were...with proof?
  • horsehockey
    horsehockey Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fake sugar is fake.

I'll take the real thing in smaller quantities, or just go without altogether, thanks.

Rewind this same discussion a few hundred years and it's "don't be silly, mercury in makeup isn't bad for you!" :D
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Fake sugar is fake.

I'll take the real thing in smaller quantities, or just go without altogether, thanks.

Rewind this same discussion a few hundred years and it's "don't be silly, mercury in makeup isn't bad for you!" :D
    Fake teeth can be more healthy for some. So can having a fake limb. Or even fake hair. It's when it's EXTREME when issues happen.......................kinda like when people opine on artificial sweeteners.

IDEA Fitness member
  • vipinpr
    vipinpr Posts: 4
    Options
    Artificial Sweeteners are really bad. Check their chemical composition and you will know why ?

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/hidden_dangers.htm
  • jfan175
    Options
    Artificial Sweeteners are really bad. Check their chemical composition and you will know why ?

What I find funny about this article, is that statements made by people are carefully footnoted, but when actual studies or scientific findings are mentioned, there is no reference or identifying information to allow someone to look it up for accuracy.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

More hoopla with no clinical references to back them. What happened to people actually doing research?

IDEA Fitness member
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Well... If someone's paying for those studies, then we all know that artificial sweeteners is a big market so how can you positively say that the anti-aspartame studies aren't funded by other manufacturers like Splenda vs Nutrasweet? Because you know, people won't stop using artificial sweeteners when aspartame is evil, they will look for other non-calorie alternatives.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    But the products I like don't use Stevia and I like to drink lots of sweet tasting drinks. That's the reason I consume it.
    We used to make buildings with asbestos and paint with lead too.
    That argument could be used about anything.
    Potatoes, for instance.
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/fda.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robbie-gennet/donald-rumsfeld-and-the-s_b_805581.html

Open your eyes. Do your research. Don't take everything at face value.

And as far as sugar causing osteoperosis goes it is true. Eating refined sugar causes a spike in blood sugar followed by a huge drop. When the body senses this drop, the adrenal glands produce cortisol (a hormone related to stress). Cortisol has it's place and time in the body, but constantly manufacturing it causes insulin resistance. basically your body stops being able to use the insulin your pancreas makes, which is used to get glucose into cells. When cells are not susceptible to insulin, the glucose can't get into the cells, and therefore causes a rise in blood sugar (which is what the body is trying to do after sensing the drop in blood sugar). Cortisol inhibits osteoblast (bone cell) production. Need a source for this? Here. http://www.livestrong.com/article/131399-effects-cortisol/
    In small amonts refined sugar probably doesn't matter but it's in sooooooo much of food nowadays (also in the form of high fructose corn syrup, etc) of course it's going to have a negative impact.
    I don't have a written source for the thing about sugar not being processed as a full molecule. I learned about that from the dcotor who runs part of my facility when I took a continuing education class on nutrition. it's been a year or two since I took the class but I'm sure if I speak with him tomorrow morning he can give me sources. For the record, I just want to say this. i am a nurse. i understand on a cellular level how the body works, breaksdown and processes chemicals, whether they are natural or artificial. I would also like to say that everyone is certainly entitled to do what they want to their body, as long as they are informed about it. Like I said earlier, I doubt we will never know the truth until mass independent studies are conducted on the subject (and you are wrong about peer-review, they have just as many ties), which will probably never happen because funding would have to come from somewhere, be it the manufacturers of aspartame, or a competitor, either way the results are being skewed. Personally, if I am unsure about something or if there is as much conflicting reseach about something as there is about aspartame, I choose to stay away from it ESPECIALLY when there are alternatives that are proven to be better for the body and lower on the glycemic index.
  • jfan175
    Options
    You're a nurse, and your using huffpo, livestrong.com and that mercola article that was shot down as your sources.....and then telling us to open our eyes and do our research? Seriously?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/fda.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robbie-gennet/donald-rumsfeld-and-the-s_b_805581.html

Open your eyes. Do your research. Don't take everything at face value.

And as far as sugar causing osteoperosis goes it is true. Eating refined sugar causes a spike in blood sugar followed by a huge drop. When the body senses this drop, the adrenal glands produce cortisol (a hormone related to stress). Cortisol has it's place and time in the body, but constantly manufacturing it causes insulin resistance. basically your body stops being able to use the insulin your pancreas makes, which is used to get glucose into cells. When cells are not susceptible to insulin, the glucose can't get into the cells, and therefore causes a rise in blood sugar (which is what the body is trying to do after sensing the drop in blood sugar). Cortisol inhibits osteoblast (bone cell) production. Need a source for this? Here. http://www.livestrong.com/article/131399-effects-cortisol/
    In small amonts refined sugar probably doesn't matter but it's in sooooooo much of food nowadays (also in the form of high fructose corn syrup, etc) of course it's going to have a negative impact.
    I don't have a written source for the thing about sugar not being processed as a full molecule. I learned about that from the dcotor who runs part of my facility when I took a continuing education class on nutrition. it's been a year or two since I took the class but I'm sure if I speak with him tomorrow morning he can give me sources. For the record, I just want to say this. i am a nurse. i understand on a cellular level how the body works, breaksdown and processes chemicals, whether they are natural or artificial. I would also like to say that everyone is certainly entitled to do what they want to their body, as long as they are informed about it. Like I said earlier, I doubt we will never know the truth until mass independent studies are conducted on the subject (and you are wrong about peer-review, they have just as many ties), which will probably never happen because funding would have to come from somewhere, be it the manufacturers of aspartame, or a competitor, either way the results are being skewed. Personally, if I am unsure about something or if there is as much conflicting reseach about something as there is about aspartame, I choose to stay away from it ESPECIALLY when there are alternatives that are proven to be better for the body and lower on the glycemic index.
    Articles aren't peer reviewed studies. Link an actual study from say the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism or the Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Anyone can write their "theory" on what happens. Cortisol can be raised through exercise, stress, sleep deprivation, commuting, and severe calorie restriction. These are legitimate causes of the raising of cortisol continually. Haven't read or heard that osteoporosis is linked to sugar intake. So if it's true then there has to be some study that concludes it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Put simply in laymen terms watch out for certain web site scare MONGERS.. Most seem to be from extremest's holistic web sites that have no real studies to back up their claims. They try to trick and scare the feeble minded thus in turn having those feeble minded people spread their garbage nonsense claims. Do not believe every thing you read and if some thing does interest you then find and read the real research studies behind it and make your opinions based off of those.
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    After reading (and weeding out the "scare" sites), I started seeing a common thread. Splenda was brought to market based on mostly rat studies and relatively short term (less than six months) human studies. So in a way, everyone who is consuming it is a guinea pig for its long-term safety. Drugs go through years of phases of trials and testing before they're allowed into the market. I guess I don't understand why a commonly consumed product should be any different. I think this may be why many people who've been using it (even in small quantities) for several years might develop a reaction over time and start looking into it...like myself.

Published article from 2000 re the above studies, though this has never been controversial:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&term=Food Chem Toxicol[Jour]+AND+38 Suppl 2[Volume]+AND+S123[page]

I found several published articles about single patients and sucralose induced migraines. Here is one:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&term=Headache[Jour]+AND+46[Volume]+AND+515[page]

I've also read a few independent articles about weight gain because of not being truly satisfied with the artificial sweeteners and the metabolism of them. No, they're not official.

I get that people want official scientific studies. But sometimes, personal experience is enough. I've been off of it for three full days now. My rash/itchy neck is disappearing. I feel better and less bloated. If it wasn't happening to me, I'm not sure I'd believe it. My problem is that I quit BOTH aspartame and Splenda (and didn't even consume large quantities to begin with) so I'll have to figure out which it was or else nix both. I think if I can go with something natural, why not just do it...for me when I know I'm one who has had a reaction. It's not in my head. I'm not a scare monger. I'm a real person having a real experience and sharing it here. Sometimes real life research and experience is better than journal articles.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sure, real life research has its place. However, what about the millions of people who consume these sweeteners with no ill effects? Even if I were to go with anecdotal evidence over peer reviewed studies, the vast majority of anecdotal evidence points to artificial sweeteners being perfectly safe.

Most people that claim to have reactions to artificial sweeteners list off the exact same symptoms of any other food allergy. It's not that the artificial sweeteners are unhealthy, some people are just allergic to them. No different than people being allergic to peanuts, strawberries, soy, shellfish, or any other food.
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That's true. These people are more sensitive/allergic than others for whatever reason.

I think, regardless of my sensitivity, I'm going to stick with the stance that natural is better than something derived from sugar that has three chlorine atoms as components. It may have turned out to be safe in the short term studies that were done. But chlorine atoms are the part of science of it. It just seems strange to be ingesting it on a daily basis when it's something I can actively control. That's just me.