Runners: How do you know what shoe is right?

Options
I want to buy a new pair of sneakers since the new Sports Authority came in and everything is on sale.. How do you know what the right kind of shoe is?

I do running and walking (mostly walking) (mostly treadmill and road, but sometimes in a park with kind of rugged terrain), but I also like to cycle and stairmaster in the gym. Is a running shoe the right thing? Or a cross trainer? What do you guys think?

Replies

• chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    try roadrunnersports.com. they have a question section where it will tell you what shoes you should try,
  • SaintOnEarth
    Options
    Honestly I will never use another shoe after I bought the vibram 5 finger shoes. It takes getting used to when you first start out though.. You are using muscles in your feet/legs that were never engaged while wearing normal sneakers. I guess you can say normal sneakers were like casts.. running in the vibrams feels so natural.. after getting used to them it is so amazing! Just my personal opinion :D
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Check online to find an actual running store in your area. Go in and have them review your gait. They can tell exactly what kind of shoe you need...no guesswork. I did this for the first time in June. These shoes are so comfortable that I can't believe they call those things I was wearing "shoes". And the price is about what I would have expected to pay for a good pair of running shoes. My husband went with me and, though we got very different shoes, he says the same about his.

You may need a separate pair of shoes for gym equipment. Running shoes are pretty much made for running. They aren't very good for, for instance, kickboxing. Good luck!
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I run an average of 30 miles a week. I've been running for years. I go to an running shoe store and have them fit me, watch me run and adjust as necessary.

The right shoe will make you a better (more comfortable) runner.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I went to my local running store and had them help me pick the right shoe for my running style. They watched me run and helped me get into the correct shoe. Freaking love them! You can even use the shoe and bring it back in within 60 days if it's not the right fit. :)
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If there is a local running store go get fit. If not than honestly I would have your doctor try to tell you if you are a neutral stepper, if you pronate or supinate. From there you can pick a shoe. Otherwise, it is really trial and error.
  • ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yea I have a road runner sports in az here and went to it and the shoes I got I love, they also give you a 90 day return policy on the shoes if you dont like them htey start hurting or start falling apart on you

one of the best experiences. My feet dont hurt when i walk or run any more and it even helps my knees
  • BadAssUnicorn
    Options
    First of all don't buy anything at sports authority if you are going to run in them. Go to a proper running store. The shoes at stores like Sports authority or Academy are the low end of the brand name lines.

If you are trying to save money go get fitted properly, take note of what they tell you, then look online. See if you can find the shoe cheaper or even last years model on clearance.

Personally, I run in as little a shoe as possible, but that's not for everyone and you have to build up to it.