breast feeding and extra calories HELP?!?!

Options
It would be helpful if there was something to add-breast feeding into the calories allowed for the day. . . . . .

does anyone know if you can do this??? or should i just allow myself an extra 300-500calories per day?? I do not want to lose the weight too fast, as I have heard that the toxins are then released into your milk, therefore ending up in your baby!

Replies

• EW4MY3
    EW4MY3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Search the food database for breastfeeding and add it in as a meal. It will give you options based on how frequently you are nursing and add in the extra calories for the day for you.
  • fourbees
    fourbees Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just add it in under snacks, it is in the food database :)

I haven't heard about the toxins, but losing weight too quickly can cause your supply to drop.

Make sure you are having lots of yummy good fats too, to keep up the milk quality, avocado and nuts are great
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I would just increase my goal by the 300-500 cals a day. If you prefer, you can create your own exercise and add it that way instead.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've heard about the toxins deal, that is definitely a thing my doc talked about. Good luck with everything!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    MFP still doesn't have a setting for this, despite many requests. Add 300 calories to your recommended intake. If it were me, I'd drop my deficit down to a half lb a week instead of a whole pound, but file that away under "better safe than sorry."
    Have you talked with your doc/midwife about this?
  • twin2mum3
    twin2mum3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just typed in Breastfeeding and it came up with different options.
    Im BF with a baby that eats other foods, and its given me an extra 300cal a day, which is about right as my guy still have 5 boobs a day ;-)