Zombies Run! People - accuracy of GPS?

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
I've done 3 missions now and it's fun! I also run my Jog Log app to which then links to run keeper. When I compare the 3, jog log and runkeeper are similar but Zombies run is very different. When I finished tonight jog log said I went 3.1 miles in about 32 minutes (faster than it probably should have been). Runkeeper said 2.94 miles in that time (probably close to correct). But Zombies Run said I went 2.24 miles in 23 minutes. It seems like it stopped counting when the official mission ended even though I ran for another 10 min or so in music mode? Then when I look at it on the website it says 34 minutes and 4.19 kilometers.

Ummm...what? When I convert that's 4.5 mph and I know I'm faster than that. Do others have these accuracy issues too? Is running 2 gps apps causing issues? I just want to know if my running is better or worse than previous runs but have no idea what to believe lol.

Replies

• kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'd ignore the Zombies Run stats. I love it, but the fact that it always says I burned under 40 calories per run tells me they havent got the technical/fitness part of the app right yet.
  • Hmwarren84
    Hmwarren84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The GPS is a bit sketchy. I had it tell me that I ran 2 more miles than I did and another time it was a mile off! I just know my routes and how long they are.I also have a HRM now so that will help with calorie count. I just like the app for the story line,zombie chases, and that it plays my music. Makes my run/jog/walk more interesting!
  • tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What exactly is Zombies, Run?
    I am curious...
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've only had one issue with Zombies, Run! so far on the GPS. I think sometimes the speed and distance is a bit choppy because of trees and other things, so if GPS is down for a moment, but then picks back up, then it doesn't give you credit for the time that it was down. I really only had that issue once, but it was still annoying since I was trying to improve on speed and distance and it looked like I was not only slower, but also ran less than usual, and I already know the distance for my run (2.17 miles).

The only other issue I've had is with the supply missions. The story missions have been fine as far as I can tell, with the exception of that one time, and I haven't had any difficulty when it switched to radio mode. However, the supply missions are only 10-15 minutes long as far as I can tell, and as soon as the mission is over, it stops recording any speed or distance and it does not go into radio mode.

I am on Story Mission 17 and Food Supply Mission 4.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Thanks guys! Where does it show calorie burn? I've never noticed that.

Does anyone else run another gps app simultaneously?

Tony - its a running app on my phone. It's a role playing audio story where you run from zombies. Check out zombiesrungame.com for info and how to get it on your phone
  • amersmanders
    Options
    What exactly is Zombies, Run?
    I am curious...

@ Tony, it's a running app that has a story line about post-Zombie Apocalypse, where a township is trying to survive and as one of the runners, you have to go outside the township to try to gather information and supplies.
  • amersmanders
    Options

Does anyone else run another gps app simultaneously?

I use the Nike+ Run app OR the C25k app simultaneously, but neither uses GPS, so I'm not sure if running two GPS apps makes a difference or not. I don't love the Nike app since it never records the proper distance, but I still usually use that for calories burned. When I look at the run logs for Zombies, Run! It doesn't tell me the calories, and I can't remember if it does right after you finish a mission or not. Sorry that ended up being completely unhelpful.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For me Zombies Run is close to accurate. It might be off by less than a 10th of a mile distance wise. I also run Nike+ during my runs, which in my experience is off by slightly more (and I'm way too lazy to calibrate it apparently).
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Bump. I can't be the only person to run two GPS apps at the same time :-)
  • kelsmorgan88
    kelsmorgan88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I use Zombies and RunKeeper and I find Runkeeper to be more consistent with the distance but the current speed of RunKeeper is very rarely correct. It often tells me I'm going way slower or rarely, way quicker than I really am.

Zombies is sometimes a bit off but I find if I check the online bit, it's correct and gives the calories etc.

You can now go back and check your past runs in the mission tab in the app too...