Help! How can I stave off a binge?

Options
Firstly, I am not overweight or trying to lose weight, but trying to maintain and have some ED related issues. I binge(and often purge) every 5-7 days, usually quite badly, even if eating well and healthy the rest of the time. (I generally have over 1800 calories per day with my exercise).

I have held off a day already, but the intensity of the craving is really bad. I don't know if it is because I have done a lot of cycling the last 4 days (6 hours) and walking and not had enough carbs to cover it, or the fact my tom is due, but I woke up after only 4 hours sleep, and woke up several times in the night with thoughts of the foods I am craving(which has never happened before), plus experiencing anxiety attacks the last few days which I have not had in a long time.

I only just got rid of the 2Ibs from my last binge, and really don't want that again.

I dont know whether to just have some sort of controlled 'treat' meal to try and stave it off, or to have some of the things I am craving in limited quantities or what. Obviously, I am trying to stop purging, so this situation is a bit of a nightmare, as I have yet to be able to just sit there after eating this stuff, and fight off the impulse to get rid of it.

Replies

• newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    What happens to me when I binge is I usually have a particular food or foods in mind. As soon as I pick up that bag or that box, I am in trouble. The best thing to do is to put all my food for that meal on one plate and commit myself to just eating what is on that plate. It is simple but it works. No extras. No this or that or one bite... if i stick to what is on my plate I can't go wrong.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i can't believe your not getting more responses about this...
  • Ginnywc
    Ginnywc Posts: 6
    Options
    I keep a bottle of water by me at all times. If I need something sweet, I get Vitamin Water Zero. I downed four of those today to state off a binge.
  • SuzyQq02
    SuzyQq02 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend finding a local therapist who can help you work through this. ED behaviors are a complex thing, and behavioral management techniques/tricks usually aren't enough to help long term. I don't think any advice you're going to get on a message board can really substitute for the advice of a qualified professional.
  • luvprincess
    luvprincess Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Paint your nails
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend finding a local therapist who can help you work through this. ED behaviors are a complex thing, and behavioral management techniques/tricks usually aren't enough to help long term. I don't think any advice you're going to get on a message board can really substitute for the advice of a qualified professional.

Agreed. I'd be afraid of doing more harm than good.

Good luck on fighting your way back to better health.

Don't use the gag reflex, or you'll be stuck with it when you don't want it. Plus all the other problems.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^

You are doing the right thing by reaching out, so please do so to a trained professional also. However, just posting it here rather than doing it is a huge step in the right direction, so good on ya!
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    graelwyn has deactivated their account.

Huh.....
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Speaking from a binger's point of view. It honestly has to come from within you. I know that's a crappy response, but your desire to not want to binge has to be greater than your urge to binge. I fail at this frequently.
  • Starla_86
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing, its been 1 week since I last binged/purged. I knew I had to quit it when I was at work (I work in a mall constantly surrounded by fast food) and on my break I went sat down and ate EVERY SINGLE THING I FELT LIKE...fries, sandwiches, chocolate, candies...I immediately went to the washroom and purged it all, such a horrible thing for any person to go through. I very much unwillingly went back to work with these feelings of guilt and shame, mascara smudged and just looking really unwell. It is no way to live at all.

I'm doing a lot better now and I'm starting to learn how to cope with my anxiety and my feelings now. I still have bad days where I'll go over my calories by like 100 - 200 but that's it and it is a process for me. I just stop myself and remember how disgusting I feel afterwards and find some other distraction.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    You need therapy.
    Period.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm not a true binge eater, so I can't understand what you're going through. However, I wish you the best in figuring out what works for you! It's good that you're reaching out.:heart:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    graelwyn has deactivated their account.

Huh.....
    She's been here a long time! I hope she's not gone for good. :frown:
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Paint your nails

I LOVE this idea!!! I will DEFINITELY be doing this!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I deactivated as I wished for a fresh start. And to those harping on about therapy, you have simply presumed I have no therapy, and that those with EDs have no right to seek guidance and advice for others also. Fact is, many on here who have gotten themselves to a state of obesity have just as much of an eating disorder as I myself do. It is a bit of a cop out to jump to suggest therapy, as if a therapist can be there on call 24/7 when usually it is an hour session per week. I see nothing inately wrong in also getting insight from people here experiencing the same thing or who have experienced the same issues. I get tired of those who are on here often due to their own fault eating patterns, immediately jumping to suggest a person with an ED go elsewhere for help and has no right to ask for it in other avenues as well. Seriously. Professional help is pretty overrated anyway, most of what they work through with you, can be easily found on an online site, in a book, or even from others who have recovered. I guess that comes from the USA tendency to see therapy as the instant cure for all, given even pets seem to be sent for therapy these days, lol. I asked how to stave off a binge, not for advice on therapy. And since there are plenty of non bulimics here who have BED and yet are not being suggested they take therapy, even though their ailment is just as damaging, I find it pretty ridiculous that someone with a different form of unhealthy eating pattern is instantly shoo shooe'd to therapy. I have done with this thread and with people not realising that the majority(and I say majority, not all) ended up here due to an equally destructive and unhealthy relationship to food.
  • saukura11
    saukura11 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ^ That, is so true. Amen to you :D

But for your questions.
    If I'm craving say, fries. I try to think of why. Fries are carbs, so my body is craving carbs. I try to find a healthier, low cal version of a "carb" to see if that is what my body really wants. Otherwise sometimes you can just have a bite of what your craving so much and be satisfied with a couple nibbles. Also, I tell myself " I am attractive, I want to be healthy". Binge eating isnt healthy. Try to imagine what your ideal self would do. Would a healed BED you do this? What could you see your future self doing instead? It puts some interesting insight for yourself and your future.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    OP deactivated already, damn.
  • Starla_86
    Options
    I deactivated as I wished for a fresh start. And to those harping on about therapy, you have simply presumed I have no therapy, and that those with EDs have no right to seek guidance and advice for others also. Fact is, many on here who have gotten themselves to a state of obesity have just as much of an eating disorder as I myself do. It is a bit of a cop out to jump to suggest therapy, as if a therapist can be there on call 24/7 when usually it is an hour session per week. I see nothing inately wrong in also getting insight from people here experiencing the same thing or who have experienced the same issues. I get tired of those who are on here often due to their own fault eating patterns, immediately jumping to suggest a person with an ED go elsewhere for help and has no right to ask for it in other avenues as well. Seriously. Professional help is pretty overrated anyway, most of what they work through with you, can be easily found on an online site, in a book, or even from others who have recovered. I guess that comes from the USA tendency to see therapy as the instant cure for all, given even pets seem to be sent for therapy these days, lol. I asked how to stave off a binge, not for advice on therapy. And since there are plenty of non bulimics here who have BED and yet are not being suggested they take therapy, even though their ailment is just as damaging, I find it pretty ridiculous that someone with a different form of unhealthy eating pattern is instantly shoo shooe'd to therapy. I have done with this thread and with people not realising that the majority(and I say majority, not all) ended up here due to an equally destructive and unhealthy relationship to food.

I can completely empathize with you, no one truly understands what it's like until they experience it and be in the mind of someone who has BED.
    Do you ever think though...and I'm not saying this to be mean or critical...that it could be the constant negative talk that you have with yourself about food and your relationship with it? I know that I am making an effort to be more positive and not put myself in the category of suffering from some horrible disease. I AM like everyone else and if they don't need to binge/ purge than neither do I. I CAN have one meal and be completely satisfied until the next one in a few hours.
    It's when you tell yourself what you CAN'T do that you start to really mentally believe it and so does your body.
    I haven't had a binge/purge for 1 week and damn...I'm feeling so good. I might slip up and have too many calories but its no where near as damaging as when I eat an entire box of cereal, that whole box of biscuits, that peanut butter on toast, those granola bars, that loaf of bread....yes I could consume these in one go...scary isn't it?
    Every time you feel like you need to binge just remember how gross you look and feel after you throw up and what people, 'normal' people think if they were to see you.
    It's the worst feeling in the world after a binge...I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, all the self loathing that it creates....ugh.