To the big and tall guy that can never lose weight

Options

Replies

• cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job on starting check out our big man group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4111-the-big-men

I started at 420 last June. Down to 275 and never thought i would be wearing a size 38 in my life....but here i am. Keep it up and it will come. Greatness doesn't happen overnight, but its totally worth it
  • KimL122
    KimL122 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 15 lb loss and yes it is a big deal. Stay positive and keep pushing & I sent a FR.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options

I started at 420 last June. Down to 275 and never thought i would be wearing a size 38 in my life....but here i am. Keep it up and it will come. Greatness doesn't happen overnight, but its totally worth it

I took a peek at your profile when I saw that great number on your ticker - I just had to say how fantastic you look, and I love that happy smile on your face! How smart you are to be having these realizations and making changes at such a relatively young age - no doubt you're going to go very far in life! :flowerforyou:
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

I took a peek at your profile when I saw that great number on your ticker - I just had to say how fantastic you look, and I love that happy smile on your face! How smart you are to be having these realizations and making changes at such a relatively young age - no doubt you're going to go very far in life! :flowerforyou:
    absolutely right, looking great man. 145 lbs in just over a year is awesome
  • jdvs515
    jdvs515 Posts: 1
    Options
    This is just the topic I needed to read today. Thanks!

I am starting in a similar position. As of this writing, I am 6'6" and weigh 440. I also hate being the "big guy," even though I've been that way since I was a child. My problems have always stemmed from not being able to control my eating and drinking habits, and also lacking the energy/motivation to get moving, so those are definitely things I am working on.

This is going to be a long battle for me, but I finally feel ready to take on this challenge.
  • TxAlpha
    TxAlpha Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    <
    6'3".....was 440 back in 2009.......I'm 316 right now....but I look like I'm about 275......so it can happen.......just keep pushing.....
  • marc8686
    Options
    This is just the topic I needed to read today. Thanks!

I am starting in a similar position. As of this writing, I am 6'6" and weigh 440. I also hate being the "big guy," even though I've been that way since I was a child. My problems have always stemmed from not being able to control my eating and drinking habits, and also lacking the energy/motivation to get moving, so those are definitely things I am working on.

This is going to be a long battle for me, but I finally feel ready to take on this challenge.

absolutely man, and dont think of it as this LONNNNNNNG difficult journey. your goal needs to be to eat healthier and live a more active lifestyle so you are HAPPIER and more energetic!!! with this goal in mind......you can see success EVERY DAY! the weight loss will just happen over time as a byproduct of this lifestyle change. looking at it like this, you arent waiting until next year before you are successful.......you are successful EVERY day....and on top of that you have weight loss to be proud of as well
  • GHUMBEL
    GHUMBEL Posts: 8
    Options
    Kinda thin in the Face.. Good luck on the journey:smile:
  • marc8686
    Options
    Kinda thin in the Face.. Good luck on the journey:smile:
    why thank you *grin* ive actually always been pretty lucky on how i carry my weight. for a long time you couldnt even tell i was overweight.....even now at over 400lbs i can claim to weigh 300-350 and people would believe me. because i was so active in my youth, have such a tendency to retain muscle, and have such a stocky tall frame, ive always looked like i weigh less than i do (or so ive always been told). ive told multiple people i was going to lose 100lbs within a year and they asked me, uhhh do you have 100lbs to lose? when in reality i have about 140 i could lose.
  • jasonclev
    jasonclev Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    God meant for us all to be healthy and fit, dont fall for the enemy's traps of self limitation and doubt.

AMEN!!!
  • marc8686
    Options
    AMEN brotha
  • slowly_changing12
    slowly_changing12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    that is great.....just keep up the good work and you will get there!!!!!!!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    the biggest loser would beg to differ! they love the big huge men that lose weight fast, haha.
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My son's question to me last night
    Do you know how much space one pound of fat takes up in your body?
    thought provoking especially now that you've lost 15 pounds - years ago Oprah put the amount of fat (pounds) she lost in a wagon and pulled it on to the stage - imagine!
    successful journey
    keep on keepin on
  • marc8686
    Options
    thanks all, very encouraging. week 5 weigh-in tomorrow hoping its a good one :) god bless
  • Ml1524
    Ml1524 Posts: 3
    Options
    What kinda exercise are you doing and food are you eating?
    I've been eating healthy salads and smaller portions under 1300 calories and gyming for 2 hours each day for about 2 weeks now and all i lost was 2lbs.
    Please help and give some
    tips thanks :)
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hey, I cann't relate to being the big guy, but I do understand how you feel, being the "bigger girl". I was unfortunately blessed with bad genetics. All the women on my moms side of the family, gained massive weight after puberty. I was not an exception to the rule. So I did bust my *kitten* hardcore and finally got down to a healthy weight when I was 20 (thats 9 years later). After having my daughter at 21 the weight didnt want to come back off, and now here I am once again, busting *kitten* to lose the 80 pounds I gained while pregnant.. (I know I gained alot :S) . Im totally rooting for you, Ill be here along the way to do this with you. If you want to add me feel free, good luck to you!!
  • marc8686
    Options
    What kinda exercise are you doing and food are you eating?
    I've been eating healthy salads and smaller portions under 1300 calories and gyming for 2 hours each day for about 2 weeks now and all i lost was 2lbs.
    Please help and give some
    tips thanks :)
    Hey there! I definitely relate to your frustration. The main reason it has taken me 8 years to finally do this for real is because all the attempts previously landed me exactly where you are now. working my butt off, watching what i eat, and STILL not losing weight!!!! its SOOOO frustrating, i empathize with you. rather than explaining what i eat and how i exercise i'll let you in on an even better secret. EVERYBODY has their own genetic strengths and weaknesses when it comes to diet and exercise. Ill use my wife and I as an example. We both took a genetic test to learn the most effective diet and exercise for weight loss based on our individual DNA. the results were pretty interesting. we found out that i needed a majority of carbs, then fats and proteins lining up pretty evenly........she needs a majority of fats then carbs, then protein (we have the exact percentage goals, but thats just an unnecessary detail for the purposes of this post). so we need very different types of diets for the purpose of weight loss. Ive always wondered why so many people around me get such good results with the low carb diets.....well now i know.......a low carb diet is the WORST idea for me based on my DNA and how my body burns foods. for my wife, they work pretty great. hopefully you understand the significance of knowing EXACTLY what you individually should be doing for your diet. next is the exercise, bodies favor different types of exercise. my wifes test came back saying she will lose weight with a higher intensity faster workout, for me its a lower intensity more endurance geared workout.

in summary: there is no ONE magic answer that is going to work for everyone. if your friend lost 100lbs doing diet type A and exercise type B, its possible that exact same diet and exercise regimen could leave you frustrated beyond belief if it doesnt line up with the way YOUR body works. You can do the guess and check method to see what works (which usually led me to get frustrated and give up) or do like we did and get a test done to get those answers easily. as ive said with many other people you can message me if you want more info on these tests, ive fallen in love with their process to the point ive agreed to spread the word and refer as many frustrated dieters as possible to them.

this week i lost 3.6 lbs and honestly i didnt eat that strictly......and i totally slacked off on exercise....im finally back into the 300 club at 398.6 for the first time in a few years.
  • marc8686
    Options
    Hey, I cann't relate to being the big guy, but I do understand how you feel, being the "bigger girl". I was unfortunately blessed with bad genetics. All the women on my moms side of the family, gained massive weight after puberty. I was not an exception to the rule. So I did bust my *kitten* hardcore and finally got down to a healthy weight when I was 20 (thats 9 years later). After having my daughter at 21 the weight didnt want to come back off, and now here I am once again, busting *kitten* to lose the 80 pounds I gained while pregnant.. (I know I gained alot :S) . Im totally rooting for you, Ill be here along the way to do this with you. If you want to add me feel free, good luck to you!!

good luck to you as well!!! i think being a big girl is probably even harder than a big guy........for some reason being a big guy seems to be more socially acceptable, women are just automatically pressured to be little barbies. sounds like you have that genetic disposition like i do, it sucks! haha. the best thing i could do was to just man up and get real with myself that i have a serious self discipline problem and deal with it. this year has been amazing so far, and i am totally on track to hit the 50 lbs down by new years, looks like you are doing pretty well yourself! good work!
  • ShadowLark
    ShadowLark Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! I am right behind you! and no not with a knife.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!