Eating too few calories

Options
For a few days when I have finished my food diary it has stated that I am eating too few calories. I only eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. I just can't bring myself to eat something when I am not hungry so that my calorie count reaches a certain number.

Replies

• Shallowbhtygame
    Options
    How many are you eating? Sometimes I think MFP is a little off with its estimates, and what you're doing sounds smart, but the general rule is too few calories IS unhealthy.

I'm a 27 year old man at 170ish lbs. I'm trying to lose about 5-10 pounds, but I will always try to stay above 1200 calories in a day.
  • EBBarbie
    Options
    Yesterday I could only manage 976 and that was with splurging on mac and cheese. When I'm below I'm usually close to the 1200 mark but not quite there. I'm below 1200 usually once or twice a week. I've recently got more serious about weight loss and started working out a couple of weeks ago and usually can't manage to eat my earned calories either. When I work out, I usually eat closer to my regular daily goal.
  • ericcharleslindstrom
    Options
    Fill in those last calories with fruits and vegetables. Give your body the extra fuel it needs! I was way under too and was actually gaining weight by eating less ... now I eat more and am losing more weight (and I feel better).
  • AshleyH615
    AshleyH615 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm not hungry, but I know I need to eat, I eat some fruit or veggies or a string cheese. Helps me get my calories in. Or Maybe try a protein shake :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fill in those last calories with fruits and vegetables. Give your body the extra fuel it needs! I was way under too and was actually gaining weight by eating less ... now I eat more and am losing more weight (and I feel better).

She is gonna need more than fruits and veggies to get up 300-600 calories. I would suggest a high calorie protein drink (especially post workout like muscle milk) or some nuts, avocado or you can cook meas in evoo.

If you consistently under eat your calories, you increase the chances of losing muscle and your body holds onto body fat. Also, when doing this for a prolong time, you will slow down your metabolism and the moment you eat regular, you will gain all the weigh back plus more since you have a slower metabolism (it's why diets fail). Also, losing muscle means a flabbier body. Muscle is what makes your body tight and lean. What most people really want is fat loss, not weight loss. Fat loss makes you look good in a bathing suit as demonstrated by the link below.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Make up the difference easily with any of these and they're not overly filling:

- If salads, change to full fat versions of the dressing...same amount, more calories
    - If cooking veggies saute or roast them with 1 Tbsp per serving of olive, coconut, canola or sesame oil. ~180 calories per 1 Tbsp
    - A large banana is ~120 calories
    - A handful of nuts are ~180 - 200 calories; Add them to salads
    - Take 1 slice of whole wheat bread, add 2 Tbsp of all natural peanut butter and 1 Tbsp of all natural fruit preserves. Great healthy snack treat that's about 300 calories but not really a whole lot of food.