Birth Control/Weight Gain

Options
Ok I need some help with this one. Switched my birth control about 3 months ago. I have been eating healthy and working out and i am gaining weight! Anyone else ever had this issue? What did you do?

Replies

• Mazey33
    Mazey33 Posts: 1
    Options
    The only thing to do is either get off that brand or work out ten times harder. I'm on a BC and haven't lost an ounce I swear I'm gaining the more I workout.
  • Gna13
    Gna13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It has been very frustrating for me! I want to punch a wall.
  • JennyNotSoSkinny
    JennyNotSoSkinny Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm on the shot and one of the side effects is increased appetite/weight gain. Honestly, I think a lot of stuff is just mental for some people (it was for me anyway). While I will totally admit that I did feel extremely hungry a lot even after being on it for years, I realize that it was me that was the problem, not the BC. I don't know anyone's story here, so please don't take this post as a generalization for everyone because I know absolutely nothing about anyone here. I was hungry to the point where I would eat a giant bacon cheeseburger and fries from a restaurant and feel hungry all over again within 2 hours. And so, again I would eat. But it was all in my head that I NEEDED to keep eating. Now I just try to stick to what MFP tells me I should be eating and once you do that, you'll hopefully realize that calorie level should be fine for your body. Best of luck to you!!!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Yeh change it or use nothing if regular and know when you ovulate. I haven't used anything for 15 years. If cycle not regular then not very reliable.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water.. and wait.

It takes about 3 months for your system to get used to something.. so I'd give it another month before you give it the boot.

I've been taking Birthcontrol since 2008, and I lost weight pretty easily on it.. and I don't think I gained either.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ok I need some help with this one. Switched my birth control about 3 months ago. I have been eating healthy and working out and i am gaining weight! Anyone else ever had this issue? What did you do?

Happened when I got Mirena and over the last three years, it's gotten worse. I'm having it removed next month.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I was wondering about this myself. :)
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Im about to switch from depo provera (the shot) to tricyclen (the pill)

Im really nervous about how this is going to affect my weight loss. Ive been on the shot for a year and a half.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have had a mirena for 6 years, and I put on over 28 pounds (2 stone) but I was also taking medication for high blood pressure so it may have been a combination of the two. I went to have mine removed this week but the strings have 'gone' and the doc couldn't get it out.
    I'm a bit upset about this.
    Anyone else had this problem?
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    if it's just making you retain water don't worry about it. water =/= fat and your weight will stabilise (just with more water) and you'll still be losing fat if you eat less than you burn off.

if it's making you gain fat, either it's increasing your appetite or it's slowing your metabolism, so that you're not longer eating less than you burn off (even though you were before you went on it)

if you calculate your calorie goals accurately and stick to them, ignore feeling hungry (or snack on "negative calorie" veg after you reach your calorie goal, and remind yourself it's just the pill increasing your appetite, that should stop you from accidentally overeating due to being more hungry than usual.

If that doesn't work, try reducing your calories by 100 or doing about 100 extra calories worth of exercise without eating them back, to counteract any metabolism slowing effect of it. (try it for at least a week or two) If that's not enough, then do the same with another 100 cals until you start losing at a slow and steady rate.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    im losing just fine and been on depo for several yrs but the pill had me all screwy lord i hated that thing
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have had a mirena for 6 years, and I put on over 28 pounds (2 stone) but I was also taking medication for high blood pressure so it may have been a combination of the two. I went to have mine removed this week but the strings have 'gone' and the doc couldn't get it out.

What are they going to do for you? Do an ultrasound to locate it? They can't just leave it in your body!
  • barbie_g1rl
    Options
    ive changed to yasmin it acts as a duiretic too so ive lost weight on this pill xx
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    What type of birth control are you all on? I feel just as frustrated as you... I get the Depo shot....
  • afarrow78
    Options
    I just got back on the birth control pill. I am in month 2, so this is the struggle I will have. I do see it though in my personal life. Any tips to beat the struggle?
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You will hear a lot about birth control and weight gain. The only birth control form that has shown some documentated increase in weight is depo provera, because of the high level of progesterone. Usually, when women gain weight on birth control, the increase in progesterone is the culprit...because progesterone is an appetite stimulant. Women end up eating more, therefore they gain weight. If you have been tracking every single thing you eat, and using a HRM to get a fairly accurate calorie burn, and you are definitely in a deficit, but gaining weight....then maybe try switching the type of birth control you are on. I would probably just wait it out and see if it gets better. Good luck!
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    As long as you track everything and are eating at a defecit you should lose weight. I've been losing steadily on birth control.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options

What are they going to do for you? Do an ultrasound to locate it? They can't just leave it in your body!
    I've had an ultra sound, it's still there! The doc tried to get it out, she spent one hour digging around (not comfortable) trying to retrieve the threads but couldn't, so I saw another dr Tuesday who used local anaesthetic and used some really long tweezer things but said it is 'embedded' because i have a fibroids.
    I can have key hole surgery, or be knocked out and they'll try to stretch the passage to get it out. Or they will just leave it.
    I wish I had never had it. It was recommended because I had very heavy bleeds.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options

yes ... I had the pill injection and gained all my weight through it, I went from a UK 8 - 18 over 3 jabs, it took roughly 3--6 months to come on me .... I stopped gaining when I stopped the jabs .... but its taken an eternity to lose the lbs again :( I wouldnt risk any form of pill now incase I gain

I know a few other ppl who also gained ... and very recently 2 of my sisters friends gained loads of weight due to the pill injection.
  • kirstierose
    Options
    Ive been one one called CERAZETTE i thought i gained weight with it as with any other brand, but im steadily losing weight, will crack on more when kids go back to school. The best thing with this pill is that you dont bleed, as in no monthly bleed, ive been on it now for two years last May. I still get ovualation pain sometimes and tender boobs and cramps but thats sometimes, not all the time like before. :)