Need some help

Options
Ok my husband is not trying to lose weight so he is wanting the fried food and the homemade cookies
i dont kno wat to do. With the fatty and high calorie snack in the house i eat them. But i also eat fresh peachs and grapes everyday and sometimes i add carrots in. But i always eat wat us in the house. Can someone please give me some adivce. Maybe something to sub for the chocolate chip cookies.

Replies

• sexyred57
    Options
    i dont know what to say. my fiance has already warned me about the same thing when we get our place. hopefully thats at the end of the year but i do dread what it might do to my new good habits. i already miss the junk. im hopin it passes. let me know if you get a good solution.
  • lovinmomnwife
    Options
    Last night we had chicken breast. He wanted his in the skillet with butter but i didnt so wat i did was baked mine in the oven with olive oil and cooked his how he wanted it then he had mac and cheese and i had salad for my side. I just kno tomrw he wants fried shrimp and tht is the only way i will eat shrimp because i really dont lile shrimp lol. But i can put a couplle in a salad. What do you think.
  • jadums
    jadums Posts: 22
    Options
    I hear you guys! It's really hard when you are trying to watch what you eat and the people in the house aren't doing so. There are two things causing us greif: 1) the junk food in the house and 2) our own will power.

But let's be honest here.... It is not fair to blame the men for our lack of willpower. The hard truth is that wanting food that isn't healthy for us is our own internal problem and changing our willpower is part of what we have to do to achieve our goals. No one said that getting more healthy and learning new eating habits was going to be easy. If it was then we wouldn't hate "dieting". Studies show that our willpower decreases throughout the day, so it is likely that the worst times for us to "cheat" will be at the end of the day when we are tired and trying to relax. We need to know this and be prepared for these cravings.

Don't fret ladies! We can do this! It's about remember why we want to be more healthy and learning how to make it work.

I have learned several strategies to cope and I hope they help you too:

Eat breakfast (300ish caloires) that includes some form of protein (egg, dairy, nuts, whatever)!!! Eat within the first hour of getting up (after you shower and get dressed, before you leave the house, get on the computer or start the days activites). Studies show that people who eat breakfast eat fewer calories overall in the day than those who skip it.

Plan for cheating. Figure out what you want to cheat with and when, and put it into your food tracker. This way you take control and can adapt the rest of your eating to keep you on track or you can do more exercise to cover the calories. For instance, if you want cookies for dessert then have less rice or pasta at dinner or just a light salad with a piece of fruit for lunch or add time to your workout to cover the calories. You can of course combine these strategies and you will find that when you realize you have to a 40 minute walk for the bag of chips or chocolate bar, you will think twice.

Connect treats" to efforts towards your goal - it's like paying yourself a food allowance. For instance, once a week I allow myself a "treat" if I stick to my workout goals for the week. Just be sure that your treat doesn't swallow all of your exercise calories :)

FInd lower calorie snacks that feel like a treat but don't break the calorie bank. For instance, I love fresh cherries and while they are expensive sometimes, what I am not spending on chips or chocolate I spend on cherries and flowers for myself instead. Or, if you like tatziki like I do, you'll discover it only has 5 cals/tablespoon and so I often use it as my dip for veggies.

If you have a bad day, let it go. Do not let it throw you off. Do not let it sabotage the next day, thinking things like "well it doesn't matter what I do today because of yesterday". Forgive yourself, you are human and aren't perfect. Rallying after a bad day and forgiving yourself are as important as discipline and a plan.

Finally, use your bigger goal to feed your willpower. Think things like "I want to lose 5 pounds and fit into those pants more than I want a chocolate bar" "I want to fit into my wedding dress more than I want that ice cream" "I want to feel good in my body more than I want that bag of chips". Keep your eye on the prize because achieving it will be more satisfying than anything you will put in your mouth.

To summarize:

1. Eat a 300ish calorie breakfast that has protien.
    2. Plan for your cheating using your food diary or exercise to work around the calories treats use up.
    3. Reward your efforts using a treat allowance system
    4. Find lower calorie treats that you like/love and have them in the house for snack time.
    5. When you fall of the horse, forgive yourself and get back on as fast as you can.
    6. Remember your bigger goal and use it to feed your willpower.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Fry yours without the breading, and get used to it if you want to be successful. I end up most nights cooking something for me and then something somewhat different for the other 4 folks in my house. You can get no sugar added treats for yourself or if you have no self control (I used to be that way) look on the recipe forum there are lots of recipes for low cal single serving desserts. that way you get your sweet tooth satisfied in a good way.
    Try to bargain a bit with your honey, if there are certain treats that you can't resist but he must have ask him if he will keep them out of sight, maybe in his man cave if he has one or a cupboard where you can ignore them. If you can get him on board with your weight loss without denying him his stuff then he will be more likely to support you. My hubby has an office and the rest of my residents have rooms so all treats go to their rooms and are not left in the kitchen. Works just fine for all of us, no one is denied and I am not so tempted, lol.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    If you want it, have it, just have it in moderation. As for chocolate, if you can use chocolate baking powder. I use it on my bananas etc. A lot less calories compared to eating even a piece of chocolate. You will find ways to sub, you just have to look and work at it a little more.
  • mrmaxpowers
    Options
    Try atkins snack bars. They are really good and healthy.
  • jadums
    jadums Posts: 22
    Options
    Some lower calorie snack foods include:

Popcorn (without butter unfortunately)
    Jelly beans
    Jube jubes
    Lollipops
    Freezes or even better, frozen fruit (melon cubes on a stick, frozen berries)
    Jello
    Fruit roll-ups
    Yoghurt
    Frozen yoghurt

Also, your body does not account for liquid calories as well as it does solid food calories so limit how many calories you consume in liquid form.
  • lovinmomnwife
    Options
    I will def take in wat everyone has says. My will power is great at first but then starts to drop lol. But i kno i can do it.
  • elf618
    elf618 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i have found that just cutting my carbs down and focusing on getting 40% of my calories from protein has kept me full and I am not missing all of the starchy snacks i usually craved. I have been making my husband some kind of side to go with whatever I cook and I stick to the meat and vegetable for myself and seem to be doing ok for the last 2-3 weeks. This is a huge contrast to using up my calories on pretzels, low cal snacks and low fat yogurt it seems. My husband was a collegiate cross-country runner and thinks a half marathon is just an easy saturday morning and doesn't want to eat fish because "it doesn't fill him up" so we go through tons of meat...and sometimes he just has to put up with fish and have another snack after dinner.

now that I've got a jump start I think I'll start adding back in a few whole grains but try to avoid white flour and sugar as much as possible
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You can make delicious, healthy meals. Create things that look and taste better than the junk he wants. When I first started back in February, I cooked for myself and usually made enough to last a few days....including my work lunches. My wife and 15yo son soon started snacking on my food and now we're all eating the same healthy things for meals. My son's very active in sports, so he gets his snack bars, peanut butter and chocolate milk. They still get the occasional pizza and whatnot, but we're all eating well.