does it matter if i log strength training?

Options
i noticed that if i log my strength training excercises, nothing happens and only logging cardio changes things. so does it matter if i dont bother recording them?

Replies

• Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same when I logged my strength training. If you type strength training under the cardiovascular option instead of the strength training option, it'll roughly calculate how many calories you burned according to the duration of your workout. Hope that helps!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Options
    I dont log it
  • flyingpurplemonkey
    flyingpurplemonkey Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, recording under the "strength training" section is just so you can keep track of what you are doing and track your progress. Under the cardio section, there is a strength training option, and that will give you a number for the calories burn and add it to your food, just like any other cardio activity.
  • gkershner
    Options
    I had been logging mine just for a record, but didn't think to try logging under cardio. Thanks.
  • Shallowbhtygame
    Options
    Yes, logging it under cardio helps with the calories, and also increases the amount of protein it recommends you consume. That's how I do it.
  • cpagano68
    cpagano68 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    okay thanks i didnt know it could be logged under cardio
  • littlemiss165
    Options
    I only log my strength training under CARDIO on the site since I keep a workout log with me at the gym. You do burn some calories while lifting weights, especially if you are keeping your rest time to a minimum but it is whatever you are comfortable with as far as logging it goes.
  • jenbison
    jenbison Posts: 38
    Options
    You can google strength training/calories burned and some sites will come up that will determine your burned calories by strength training by looking at your weight, height, age, and how intense of a workout. Then you can add it as an exercise to the cardio part, maybe i.d. it with your name so you know which one is yours, and WA LA!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I log my strength training so that I can vary my work outs and increase my weight. I seems like a hassle cause I write it down as I go and then log it later but it's nice to be able to look back and see what I did for back last time and try to change it up some or add more weight. It's working for me.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I log my strength training so that I can vary my work outs and increase my weight. I seems like a hassle cause I write it down as I go and then log it later but it's nice to be able to look back and see what I did for back last time and try to change it up some or add more weight. It's working for me.

I do this also. I think I will continue to log it under strength, but log it under cardio as well to see just how much MFP thinks I'm burning while lifting.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I log it in a notebook so I know what weight and how many sets/reps I do..
  • PoliticalRN
    PoliticalRN Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes, logging it under cardio helps with the calories, and also increases the amount of protein it recommends you consume. That's how I do it.

Good to know. I wasn't taking credit for it since I thought it wouldn't matter! Thanks!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options

I do this also. I think I will continue to log it under strength, but log it under cardio as well to see just how much MFP thinks I'm burning while lifting.
    I wear my HRM the whole time I work out, so I log the my minutes and calories burned under cardio from my HRM.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Just like that Icecream I had today. The exercise doesn't count if you don't log it on MFP.

Do you want your exercise to not count? Log it.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I don't actually log any exercise into MFP. I've tried MFP, Sparkpeople, and Fitocracy, but it's always nigh-impossible to find what I'm doing in the database and I don't trust the calorie burn estimates anyway. I don't want to log anything inaccurate because I go back later and look at these things; if I have bad information, then I'm going to be confused down the road.

I keep track of every workout session in a OneNote notebook (but a word processor or spreadsheet would work equally well) and allow another hundred calories or so in my diet on workout days if I'm hungry.