Anyone pre-plan/prepare their meals for the week?

Options
Does anyone pre-plan or prepare their meals for the week? I think I really need to do this but don't know where to start, any tips or suggestions? Thanks! :)

Replies

• EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal for weekday mornings on Sunday so it's ready to grab and go.

I also eat pretty much the same thing every day, so the only variable for me is dinner (which follows a pattern - lean protein + green veg + yam if I want one). This makes it easy to plan and pre-prep for the week!
  • c_porcayo
    Options
    My husband and I have actually started pre-cooking our chicken and meats as well as steamed vegetables lately to make it more convenient. It is actually the best idea, especially for portioning!
  • cvthatcher
    cvthatcher Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    sometimes i plan for the following day. but a lot of my meals are the same, anyway. i'm always gonna have my coffee with creamer and stevia, for example. i prefer to log the food the day before; it helps me stick to it since it's already "written" down.
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    I usually cook something (like a soup, for example) that is easy to grab in the fridge for a few days and eat that once per day. I also prepare more than I need of certain things (like mexican tuna - tuna with salsa, veggies, etc.) that I save in the fridge and can slap on a whole what english muffin for a day or two. Hard boiled eggs, chick peas, steamed veg, will also pre-wash romaine and keep it ready to go for sandwiches and salads. I also prep veggies and portion them out so they're easy to grab. So not whole meals per sey but parts of meals so there is always something healthy ready for me when I'm hungry. :)
  • mulcahya
    mulcahya Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner as I live with my parents!

I generally have the same thing for lunch every day of the week, and I like to know in advance what I'll be having and how many calories. I've made up a batch of turkey burgers a few times, and the same with tuna/corn patties that will last me a week. This week bought some veggie burgers to last a week. I usually have a burger with some steamed mixed veggies and that suits me! It's good for portioning and I don't get bored as I have varied dinner/snacks.
  • tiffymcg
    Options
    I love the prelogging! Great idea! I'd love some snack ideas since I am a huge snacker! Also, do you count your veggies as calories? I'm thinking back to weight watchers and veggies (with the exception of corn, potato, etc) were an unlimited food choice items, I always liked knowing I wasn't limited in something, any opinions?
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I love the prelogging! Great idea! I'd love some snack ideas since I am a huge snacker! Also, do you count your veggies as calories? I'm thinking back to weight watchers and veggies (with the exception of corn, potato, etc) were an unlimited food choice items, I always liked knowing I wasn't limited in something, any opinions?

I log/count everything, and I do not limit myself. I just do everything in moderation.
  • Ash_ah_lee
    Ash_ah_lee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i plan mines the day before..
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Definitely log your vegetables and fruit with the recommended calorie goals... However, if you liked that weight watchers method, you could easily reduce your 'calorie goal' on MFP to be 300ish (or more depending on how many veggies you eat in a day) less and only log other foods. Make it work for you. :P
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal for weekday mornings on Sunday so it's ready to grab and go.

I also eat pretty much the same thing every day, so the only variable for me is dinner (which follows a pattern - lean protein + green veg + yam if I want one). This makes it easy to plan and pre-prep for the week!

I do this exact same thing. Makes it very very easy to stay on track. I've also read many times the people who are most successful at losing weight and keeping it off are people that stick to similar things most days. Obviously I throw in a cheat every once in a while to keep from getting bored :)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

yup I log every bite. not only to have as accurate a calorie count as possible, but also to track my habits (i try to put the times I eat in the notes section too for this reason)
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have started planning mine on the day/day before depending on how bendy the veggies are before my next fortnightly grocery shop.
    I am a freelancer so money has to be managed v carefully so I am making a point of using up what I have (even random frozen leftovers, which is tonight's challenge!).
    I LOVE MFP for having such an extensive database including UK stuff as it helps enormously.
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have actually started pre-cooking our chicken and meats as well as steamed vegetables lately to make it more convenient. It is actually the best idea, especially for portioning!
    we do this as well. i will cook a few different meals on one day, then portion them out for dinner or lunch
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    my crockpot has made my life so much easier :-) i have a 5 quart one that i cook a few meals in, take enough out for us (me and my boyfriend) to eat and freeze the rest for meals for later :-) LIFE SAVER!

here's where ive gotten some great ideas: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/01/crockpot-diet.html

if you'd like others, feel free to message me anytime :-)
  • kittyconni
    Options
    Right now, since I am on the Meta-Slim plan with Metabolic Research Center, I pretty much eat the same thing every day. I precook my dinner and make my salad in the mornings and stick it in the fridge. I work nights, so I can get that little hour extra sleep if I don't wait till 5pm to cook!
  • therighttrack
    therighttrack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I usually plan my day when I first get up. I log in my meals and expected exercises as well...I find that I am more likely to stick
    to the plan since I already have it out there for people to see. If I need to change something though, I make sure I do; so the calories are correct for the day.
    And yes, log in all items that you eat/drink for the day.
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    I cook most of meals on sunday and store in containers....so I just can microwave and go. Makes life that much more easier.
  • MisChef
    MisChef Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i used to BEFORE the diet modifications! I'd shop to a menu, never just a plain old grocery list and it was great.

but now, it's a lot more by-ear, on the fly. I usually plan out the next meal before i eat it, (especially dinner) to see if it fits within my day.
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've recently started pre-planning some meals, however the most helpful thing I've found is tracking for a while and then figuring out what fits in my calorie goal. For example, breakfast is always a chocolate protein shake, lunch is on a sandwich thin (current fave = chicken breast, guac, slice of Jack cheese) with fresh veggies and sometimes fruit on the side. Dinner is my most variable meal due to eating in vs. out, and still figuring out what works portion-wise. I also am a snacker so I have to budget those calories in; lately I've been skipping my am snack and only having a late-afternoon one so I don't pig out on dinner. Or saving myself some dessert calories! I encourage you to think about what nutrients are most important to you (ie- carbs/protein) and find what method works for you!
  • faya195
    faya195 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I put together a meal plan for the upcoming week and then go shopping accordingly. We generally make sure to cook 4 portions for dinner (2 people) and then use the leftovers for lunch the next day. This helps with portion control and avoiding the "so, what's for lunch/dinner" question.