What do you order when you go to a Mexican restaurant?

Options
Mexican food is by far my favorite type of food, but when I am trying to drop weight it always seems like I cant enjoy it. What do you all order when you eat Mexican?

Replies

• jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Chicken Fajitas are fairly safe, with refried beans if they are not made with lard....extra salsa with for me no chips...a bit of guacamole.
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Taco salad with lettuce, black beans, chicken and salsa ...oh and a very light pinch of shredded cheese...but no sour cream.
  • DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    i'll have skirt steak and veggies
  • DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    or if im using it as a cheat ill go bananas and have everything....and flan LOL
  • jadums
    jadums Posts: 22
    Options
    Taco salad with lettuce, black beans, chicken and salsa ...oh and a very light pinch of shredded cheese...but no sour cream.

Taco salads are delicious, but be careful of taco salads, especially if they have a fried shell bowl or fried taco chips. Did you know that the taco salad at Taco Bell has almost 500 calories not including dressing?
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Fajitas without the tortillas. Just eat the meat and veggies. Plus hot sauce, of course.
  • AdGalicia
    AdGalicia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    so basically stick to either beef fajitas or chicken fajitas with no tortillas, but sometimes those dishes look so greasy
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Veggie fajitas with corn tortillas. NO sour cream or cheese.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    my fav resturaunt has some super yummy grilled vegetable and tilapia fajitas. There is no cheese on anything they serve, and nothing is deep fried, so its pretty good no matter what you get.
  • mudinthecreek
    Options
    The fajitas and refried beans are loaded with sodium and they can be really greasy too. So I go with chicken tacos with soft corn tortillas instead of flour, and ask for black beans...I stay away from the chips as much as possible, but they are very tempting..
  • HeiressRoxy
    Options
    Qdoba-Mexican gumbo Bowl. Taco Bell-Fresco Bean Burrito and one cup of ice water. Chipotle-Mexcian Bowl. This is typically what I order.
  • HeiressRoxy
    Options
    I forgot about the chicken taco, I order that too. you are right the sodium content is ridiculous that is why I fill up on plenty of water.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I go for veggie tacos or fajitas, black beans instead of refried, corn instead of flour tortillas and go easy on cheese, sour cream and guac.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    My favorite Mexican restaurant does Salmon Fajitas. They are delicious.

And the tortillas are fine as long as they are within your calories. With the salmon, 2 tortillas, a little bit of rice, and all the fajita veggies I can usually get out of a mexican restaurant for under 500 cals. Unfortunately I usually go hog wild on chips and salsa too so that adds to it. I don't do sour cream or guacamole with my fajitas (though I would love to) simply because it would probably push it into the unhealthy range.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I get Pollo Yucatan at my favorite restaurant. It is chicken with squash and zucchini, onion and peppers. It comes with tortills like fajitas and I always get corn tortillas and only eat two. I will have a few chips with salsa, no cheese, no rice and no beans.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Fajitas.
  • meeksfour
    meeksfour Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can eat Mexican food every day if you let me. My choice, green chicken enchiladas with NO Cheese and substitute Pico de Gallo. Also, ask for white corn tortillas if they have it. You know how most places have the garnish of lettuce, ask them to double that as a side salad and use salsa on it. Oh, ask for carrots or radishes so you can dip in salsa instead if chips for your crunch.

I'm so eating this for dinner tonight at home. Yum!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Love getting chicken fajitas (light on the oil) and guacamole. I don't eat the tortillas and measure out a small portion of chips to enjoy with salsa. It's definitely a meal we have when I've burned some extra calories to use.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If it is a Tex-Mex place, they most likely have fajitas so I'll order veggie fajitas.

It depends on the menu though.
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    Many Mexican restaurants have chicken soup or a grilled chicken salad over rice. You can use salsa as dressing for the salad. It satisfies that craving for a little Mexican flavor, but doesn't overload you on sodium or calories.
    But.......stay away from those chips. They're down right evil. :laugh: