How to increase my metabolism?

Options
My stats: 5'3, 186 lbs.

Back about a year ago, I had a really bad case of TMJ for about 4 months in which I could barely move my jaw, so my diet consisted only of soup everyday probably eating less than 500 calories a day. I went from 186 to 150 in about 4 months. Well... since then I've gained it all back and my body seems to be resistant to any kind of weight loss. It's never been this hard before, prior to the whole jaw issue, I was steadily losing 2 lbs per week (I went from 220 to 186). Now, I can't even lose 0.1 lbs! I think that my metabolism was completely disappeared since then!

I exercise 5-6 days a week for at least 60 mins (2 days of steps aerobics, 2 days of kickboxing, 1 day of zumba, and 1 day elliptical) and at least 30 mins strength training 3-4x a week. I've been at this for 3 weeks even though I just started logging my calories this week. I eat on average 1200 - 1400 calories a day.

Any advice would help!

Replies

• emilysuelemus
    emilysuelemus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    from what Ive read doesnt sound like your eating enough your in starvation mode!
  • Soann
    Soann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough and exercising like crazy, why should the body give up fat? It wants to live.
  • slimmin_down
    Options
    Apparently spicy foods boost it as well as green tea?
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough and exercising like crazy, why should the body give up fat? It wants to live.
    spicy peppers (they even sell this in a pill form), green tea.. these are two things that are said to boost your metabolism
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    oh and i quoted to say i agree, your not eating enough
  • slimmin_down
    Options
    Are you gaining muscle? Maybe you should take measurements instead of weight. See if nothing at all is changing.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Back about a year ago, I had a really bad case of TMJ for about 4 months in which I could barely move my jaw, so my diet consisted only of soup everyday probably eating less than 500 calories a day. I went from 186 to 150 in about 4 months. Well... since then I've gained it all back and my body seems to be resistant to any kind of weight loss. It's never been this hard before, prior to the whole jaw issue, I was steadily losing 2 lbs per week (I went from 220 to 186). Now, I can't even lose 0.1 lbs! I think that my metabolism was completely disappeared since then!

I exercise 5-6 days a week for at least 60 mins (2 days of steps aerobics, 2 days of kickboxing, 1 day of zumba, and 1 day elliptical) and at least 30 mins strength training 3-4x a week. I've been at this for 3 weeks even though I just started logging my calories this week. I eat on average 1200 - 1400 calories a day.

Any advice would help!

You know the phrase jack of all trades, master of none.

You have such a full workout routine, you can't get the full benefit from any workout.

Any workout is only as beneficial as the load you can put on your body, and recovery/rest you allow the body to actually make itself stronger from the load.

Wanna increase metabolism, make your muscle stronger so it burns more calories all day long during all activities.
    But massive cardio on massive deficit (unless you are correctly eating back exercise calories to feed that workout somewhat but you aren't) really just burns up muscle.
    And your strength training probably can't be as intense as it could/should/would be if given rest to get stronger.

Not doubting you could be pushing yourself, but not as hard as you could be if your body actually had time to recover and build stronger.

At this point, you might as well just hop on the treadmill for 2 hrs a day and walk 3.5 mph. because that's about all you really are going to get out of your workouts.

Oh, you'll get some initial gain in strength and endurance and performance, but it'll taper off very fast compared to allowing recovery.

Also, your body has nothing to improve itself with, because for the level of activity you are doing, you are undereating, so beyond some initial improvement, any more is going to be difficult to eak out of a body hard pressed to find the nutrients and energy for just the basic metabolism first.

So forget about increasing metabolism on your current eating level and exercise level. You are actually headed down the road of slowing it down really well - you have the perfect combo to do so.

Use the Search button above and use the words "plateau" and "stall" and find out where you are headed. Read the advice of those that have been there before and what their solution was.
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I am not eating enough, however, MFP has set my caloric intake to be about 1200, and I eat about 1300-1400 a day. When I was training with a personal trainer, he had me eating about 1400 calories a day even though I was working out about 5x a week, and he never mentioned eating exercise calories back and I was losing 2 lbs a week consistently. After looking through the forums, it seems like there is no consensus about eating exercise calories back...
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I am not eating enough, however, MFP has set my caloric intake to be about 1200, and I eat about 1300-1400 a day. When I was training with a personal trainer, he had me eating about 1400 calories a day even though I was working out about 5x a week, and he never mentioned eating exercise calories back and I was losing 2 lbs a week consistently. After looking through the forums, it seems like there is no consensus about eating exercise calories back...

Your eating the same amount of calories as me (and I'm losing weight); are you spreading them out throughout the day? Before I started on this journey, I was eating three 'mostly' healthy meals a day and still gained weight, and so got chatting with a friend that is a bit of a fitness freak, and she suggested I try eating five times a day... if you fuel your body with smaller meals, more often, it kicks your metabolism into gear... so now I have around 1200-1400 a day (mixing it up to see what works) over breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner... and have lost 22lbs in ten weeks.. only a suggestion but worth a shot, right? :smile:
  • Helenhbradbury
    Options
    You need to reduce the amount of cardiovascular work that your doing, and increase the amount of resistance work that your doing. This will increase your lean muscle mass and enable ou to boost your metabolism. I would suggest that you exercise all major muscle groups, 3 sets of 25 reps. This will not build big muscles but it will give you the lean muscle mass that you need to boost your metabolism. Hope this helps
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I generally do eat about every 2-3 hours. I was wondering... do you eat your exercise calories back?
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I also eat 1200-1400 calories a day. I usually stay closer to 1200, since I workout at the end of the day, and if by chance I don't feel like working out or can't, I stay close to my net calories. Up until 2 weeks ago, I also worked out for an hour 5-6 days a week, doing mainly Zumba. Then a month ago I added a Jillian Michael's DVD and weight training. The last two weeks I have had to ease up on high impact exercise due to a shin splint on one leg and a swollen knee on the other. But, I have consistently lost weight since I started this back in mid-April-3-4lbs a week for the first month or so and 1-2lbs since then, and at least 4 inches on both waist and thighs....So, our routines sound similar and our calorie intake sounds similar, but our results are different...I'm wondering if you accurately count your calories? I measure/weigh EVERYTHING. And that could be the difference...Are you eating healthy as well and not just limiting your calories? I read a study recently that says your diet is more important than exercise when it comes to losing weight...that you can't "out-exercise" a bad diet. So, I'm thinking you may need to look at "what" you're eating, as well as" how much".
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    1. do not under-eat, your body needs FUEL, calories = fuel. not enough calories = body reading a low fuel sign and will stop burning them as fast = slower weight loss

2. effective and correct exercise plan. every person needs a different type of diet and exercise plan for losing weight. i took a genetic test to find out my personal plan. msg for info on that if ur curious.

3. i take a glucose health pill, which ive heard can help boost metabolism.

4. make sure you eat several smaller meals each day to get your calories, not all at one or two meals.
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I generally do eat about every 2-3 hours. I was wondering... do you eat your exercise calories back?

Mostly, no I don't eat them back... but if I go over my recommended calorie intake for the day, when I've worked out, I am ok with that :smile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

No, you got it to set at 1200.

You selected an activity level, probably Sedentary, whether that applies or not, you probably don't know, most don't.
    It would have meant logging your normal eating level when you maintained weight. That was obviously maintenance for that level of activity, which may have been nothing extra at that time.

You then selected a weight loss goal, 1lb is recommended, did you take that, or probably the 2lbs because everyone wants to lose fast.

That subtracted 1000 calories off the calculated activity level calories.

So in essence, by your choices - you made it 1200.

There is consensus by those that understand how MFP is working compared to what your trainer was foolishly doing. He should have stuck with the fitness side of the equation, not diet side.

MFP figures out non-exercise daily maintenance level of calories, then takes a deficit.
    Your daily goal to eat, with no exercise, would create maybe a healthy deficit.
    You do exercise now, you really just raised your daily maintenance level of calories, but deficit was already taken - so eat those calories back to keep the deficit the same.

Other methods figure out a daily figure that includes planned exercise, and then takes a deficit.

If you do the exercise, the end result is the same. If you don't, MFP still has the deficit. The other methods, you better remember if you skip a planned workout, you skip some calories.

But MFP, you log it, you are given credit for it, your daily goal goes up - because it works by you eating that back.

Frankly, if you used MFP estimate for calorie burn for all that exercise, you'd be protecting yourself from eating too little.
    But your workouts are still to intense and frequent to actually allow your body to recovery.

But please do it for 4-6 months, and come back asking for help, after you stalled 2-4 weeks in, at that point aggravated you wasted 3-5 months with no progress.

Just speaking matter-of-factly because you can read all the forum responses of where this is headed.
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Eat more bacon. Have more sex. It works.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    increase metabolism........add muscle mass. That's about your only option.
  • JulieDive
    JulieDive Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    love the response.....you have me sold on the idea!
  • JulieDive
    JulieDive Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Any advice would help!

You know the phrase jack of all trades, master of none.

You have such a full workout routine, you can't get the full benefit from any workout.

Any workout is only as beneficial as the load you can put on your body, and recovery/rest you allow the body to actually make itself stronger from the load.

Wanna increase metabolism, make your muscle stronger so it burns more calories all day long during all activities.
    But massive cardio on massive deficit (unless you are correctly eating back exercise calories to feed that workout somewhat but you aren't) really just burns up muscle.
    And your strength training probably can't be as intense as it could/should/would be if given rest to get stronger.

Not doubting you could be pushing yourself, but not as hard as you could be if your body actually had time to recover and build stronger.

At this point, you might as well just hop on the treadmill for 2 hrs a day and walk 3.5 mph. because that's about all you really are going to get out of your workouts.

Oh, you'll get some initial gain in strength and endurance and performance, but it'll taper off very fast compared to allowing recovery.

Also, your body has nothing to improve itself with, because for the level of activity you are doing, you are undereating, so beyond some initial improvement, any more is going to be difficult to eak out of a body hard pressed to find the nutrients and energy for just the basic metabolism first.

So forget about increasing metabolism on your current eating level and exercise level. You are actually headed down the road of slowing it down really well - you have the perfect combo to do so.

Use the Search button above and use the words "plateau" and "stall" and find out where you are headed. Read the advice of those that have been there before and what their solution was.

(sorry I forgot to quote the post I was referring to :\ )