Anyone in Seattle? looking for local friends?

Options
Okay, so this may sound needy, but I will give it a shot.

I moved to seattle a year ago, made a bunch of friends, and recently moved to Lake City from capitol hill. Two of my friends moved away, and my other friends I never see in West Seattle. SO, if anyone is interesting in chatting or texting and close by... might lead to actual friendship, I am dying here. I am pretty busy with work, gym, etc... but would love someone who loves to go hiking, or try new classes with me... or who might make me use weights, which I hate.

okay, this sounds totally creepy. Oh well.

Replies

• c_porcayo
    Options
    Im not super close, Soon to be Marysville here but I am def looking for MFP friends in my area. Im a washingtonian at heart born an raised in Seattle!
  • mommasox
    mommasox Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I workin Seattle. Right downtown, although I actually live in Tacoma. I go to the gym in Seattle as well. You can friend me if you want.
  • MarisaLWood
    MarisaLWood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I live downtown and I'm an avid hiker--during hiking season, I usually spend my weekends on the trail :smile: I'm a member of five or six different hiking Meetup groups (there are a LOT of hiking Meetups in Seattle!).

Do you have any favorite hikes/hikes you've been wanting to do?
  • drea85an
    drea85an Posts: 130
    Options
    Hey Marisa,

I guess I need to go to meetup (i joined two groups and never went. - book club and new to seattle) I don't really know any major hikes, so i always end up going to Discovery, which is nice, but not amazing or anything. I miss being so close to downtown!

Any suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks!
  • mandi_444
    mandi_444 Posts: 156
    Options
    Hey! I work downtown Seattle but live on the Eastside. I can't meetup for classes or the gym (due to location), but I can support via MFP!! Maybe eventually meet up for a hike! I love to hike!
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    There are actually two MFP groups for Washington/Seattle people:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/75-seattle and http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/314-mfpnw
    :)
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I work downtown and live on the Eastside myself. I like lifting, hiking, running and pie. :drinker:
  • MarisaLWood
    MarisaLWood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your transportation situation and your current skill level.

If you have a car, you can pretty much pick where you want to go... but if not, there are some great hikes (some easy, some not) that are transit-accessible. Tiger Mountain is popular and is accessible from downtown Seattle via Sound Transit #554 to Issaquah, with a transfer in Issaquah to Metro #209. There is a freeway stop within half a mile of the High Point trailhead, at Exit 20 on I-90. There's a hike on Tiger Mountain for all experience levels--from the short, nearly-flat ones on the Tradition Lake Plateau to the West Tiger-3-2-1 ("3 Summits in 1 Day") hike that's 7.4 miles round-trip with 2400' elevation gain!

Cougar Mountain is doable via Sound Transit #550 to Bellevue, with a transfer to Metro #240 and a walk of about 3/4 of a mile to Coal Creek Park (you then need to walk the length of the Coal Creek Park trail--about 3 miles--to get to the Red Town trailhead). This is a great place for easier hikes if you're looking for those.

I've done a couple of hikes at Wallace Falls State Park in east Snohomish County without a car, but this required hiking the 2 miles in to the trailhead from a Community Transit stop on US-2, and then the 2 miles back. So that's really pushing the "transit-accessible" bit!

I'd suggest going to a bookstore and looking at some local hiking guides for ideas--there are a lot of great hikes along I-90 and US-2, as well as off the Mountain Loop Highway near Granite Falls. Here are some of my favorites from each area:

I-90: Mt. Si (THE most popular Seattle-area hike, and a must-do for intermediate-to-advanced hikers--8 miles round-trip, 3150' elevation gain). I'm going to do Kendall Katwalk on Saturday--11 miles RT, 2700' elevation gain--and I recently made an attempt on Little Bandera (7 miles RT, 2850' elevation gain, with a steep boulder scramble). I turned back on that hike because I'd run out of water on a VERY hot day--but I do plan on going back there and making the summit!

US-2: Anything at Wallace Falls State Park (near Gold Bar). Lake Serene (near Index--7.2 miles RT, 2000' gain) is beautiful but if you have any issues with your knees, better take some ibuprofen BEFORE you go! Scorpion Mountain (near Skykomish--9 miles RT, 2600' elevation gain) is wonderful in late summer/early fall for wildflowers. Last Saturday I did Surprise Lake (9 miles RT, 2400' elevation gain), which is beautiful, but again, not a place for creaky knees.

Mountain Loop Highway: Mt. ****erman (8 miles RT, 3850' elevation gain) has been on my to-do list ever since I completed Mt. Si a couple of months ago. I hear the views from the summit are just stunning! But my favorite Mountain Loop hike of all time has to be Monte Cristo. It's only 400' of elevation gain but 10 miles RT distance, including a river crossing on a log and a couple of places where you have to step over rockfalls. The scenery on this one is well worth the "obstacle course"--Monte Cristo is an old ghost town site surrounded on all sides by 7000' peaks!

The Meetup groups I'm in include: Pacific Northwest Leisure Hikers (hiking at a slower pace--VERY highly recommended if you're just starting out), Spontaneous Seattle Trekkers, and the Seattle Hiking Meetup Group. I tend to stay away from any hike or group that says, "don't attempt this one if you can't do X hike in Y amount of time."
  • amberlongsine
    amberlongsine Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I live in Kenmore =) About 15-20 minutes from seattle. On the Lake City side =)
  • tiffanyneedstolose
    tiffanyneedstolose Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Im in lynnwood but moving to mountlake terrace :)
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I actually moved to Seattle just a couple of years ago from Colorado. I live in West Seattle, but like having MFP friends from around the same area at least. :flowerforyou:
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm am an Eastsider, live in Bellevue and work in Redmond. Would rather be in Seattle though, I will move back when the time is right.

Anyone from here can add me as a friend, I give honest advice and comments.
  • drea85an
    drea85an Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks so much Marisa! I will check these out!