WORKOUT TIPS PLEASE SHARE

Options
Please share your workout tips when your at the gym. I have been working out at the gym for a few weeks now and I must say that I have not noticed any result. My face even looks bigger :( HELP!!!!!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What is your routine like now? And what are your goals?
  • teamflatbelly
    teamflatbelly Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply. I do cardo mon-fri for at least 30mins. I switch up legs,arms,back, and abs daily. I usually try to do abs daily and do arms and back one day and legs and abs the other.
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply. I do cardo mon-fri for at least 30mins. I switch up legs,arms,back, and abs daily. I usually try to do abs daily and do arms and back one day and legs and abs the other.

this may sound like a stupid question but do you warm up?

I like to alternate between cardio and strength training. Ex: ill do 20 minutes of cardio and 10 of weight training then repeat it again, other than that I dont have any tips I guess except keep your core tight.
  • teamflatbelly
    Options
    Yes I warm up before I workout. I do that thanks for your tips :)
  • snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking water? Are you watching your sodium? These may have something to do with the "bloating"? I like to take classes at the gym, they keep me focused and motivated. I especially like spinning and kickboxing. If I do cardio machines, I mix them up, and always work my abs, and stretch. Don't give up:)
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    When you lift, do you lift to failure? Do you have a set program? Do you increase your weights regularly? Do you use correct form? Are you doing lifts that are difficult for you to complete a few repetitions or are you able to lift the weight 20 times in a row? Are you eating enough protein? Drinking enough water? Getting enough sleep? Are you eating a calorie surplus, deficit or maintenance?

There are a ton of factors that can affect this kind of stuff.
  • teamflatbelly
    Options
    Are you drinking water? Are you watching your sodium? These may have something to do with the "bloating"? I like to take classes at the gym, they keep me focused and motivated. I especially like spinning and kickboxing. If I do cardio machines, I mix them up, and always work my abs, and stretch. Don't give up:)

Sorry so late to respond Yes I drink water actually that's all I drink plus milk in my cereal. I try not to have to much sodium... Thanks for your tips
  • teamflatbelly
    Options
    When you lift, do you lift to failure? Do you have a set program? Do you increase your weights regularly? Do you use correct form? Are you doing lifts that are difficult for you to complete a few repetitions or are you able to lift the weight 20 times in a row? Are you eating enough protein? Drinking enough water? Getting enough sleep? Are you eating a calorie surplus, deficit or maintenance?

There are a ton of factors that can affect this kind of stuff.

Sorry for late response I'm not quite sure what life to failure means??? I try to have a set program. I do increase weights when I feel I can do more. I believe I am using the correct form. It is hard for me to do my complete 20 reps I usually do 3 sets of 20. I'm not sure if I'm eating enough to be honest. I do eat protein thou. I drink only water but I'm sure I should drink more water. I get enough rest, I had insomnia before working out and now it has went away. I don't understand the last question please explain. Thanks
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Lifting to failure means that you choose your weights such that in your last set, you either just barely manage to finish your reps or you cannot finish your reps. Basically, you lift the weight until you can't lift it any more.

You may want to look into a professionally developed program like starting strength, new lifting rules for women or strong lifts 5x5.

3 sets of 20 reps will not really increase your strength. That volume of lifting is for endurance. Strength training usually involves much lower repetitions, as in 1-5 reps per set with a total volume of 10-25 reps per exercise.

Protein intake for muscle building should be at least 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. So if you're 160lbs with 25% body fat, your lean body mass is 120 lbs (arbitrary numbers), so you should eat 120 grams of protein per day.

The last question is about the amount of food that you eat. A deficit means that you're eating less food than your body uses in a day. This results in weight loss. Maintenance is eating the same amount of food that your body uses so your weight stays constant. A surplus means that you're eating more food than you burn in a day and results in weight gain (this is really the only way to build muscle).
  • cpachecoiii
    cpachecoiii Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Please share your workout tips when your at the gym. I have been working out at the gym for a few weeks now and I must say that I have not noticed any result. My face even looks bigger :( HELP!!!!!

Here's the thing. Many times the body needs to go through a phase of "re-adjustment" so to speak. A look in the mirror after a few weeks is not really a good way to gauge your success. I'm no personal trainer or dietitian, but from my own experience the only way to see results is to keep grinding. I promise that if you make the commitment to eat good WHOLE foods and eat according to your caloric needs, and then mix in exercise a few times a week you WILL succeed. There may be little bumps in the road, but if you stay the course it will work. Trust yourself and really go for it. You have to put good work in to get good results. Hope this helps!
  • althaluszombie
    althaluszombie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I wanted to say something helpful but reading the other posts answered most concerns. Most likely continue doing what you are doing. maybe learn some more about proper lifting techniques and how to increase muscle mass thru weight lifting instead of just staying the course. Keep that protein high and good nutrition meaning high vitamins and mineral content. Drink lots of water. Helps regularly clear trash out of your system.
  • teamflatbelly
    Options
    Lifting to failure means that you choose your weights such that in your last set, you either just barely manage to finish your reps or you cannot finish your reps. Basically, you lift the weight until you can't lift it any more.

You may want to look into a professionally developed program like starting strength, new lifting rules for women or strong lifts 5x5.

3 sets of 20 reps will not really increase your strength. That volume of lifting is for endurance. Strength training usually involves much lower repetitions, as in 1-5 reps per set with a total volume of 10-25 reps per exercise.

Protein intake for muscle building should be at least 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. So if you're 160lbs with 25% body fat, your lean body mass is 120 lbs (arbitrary numbers), so you should eat 120 grams of protein per day.

The last question is about the amount of food that you eat. A deficit means that you're eating less food than your body uses in a day. This results in weight loss. Maintenance is eating the same amount of food that your body uses so your weight stays constant. A surplus means that you're eating more food than you burn in a day and results in weight gain (this is really the only way to build muscle).

Wow I thank you so much for sharing all your information with me. :)
  • teamflatbelly
    Options

Here's the thing. Many times the body needs to go through a phase of "re-adjustment" so to speak. A look in the mirror after a few weeks is not really a good way to gauge your success. I'm no personal trainer or dietitian, but from my own experience the only way to see results is to keep grinding. I promise that if you make the commitment to eat good WHOLE foods and eat according to your caloric needs, and then mix in exercise a few times a week you WILL succeed. There may be little bumps in the road, but if you stay the course it will work. Trust yourself and really go for it. You have to put good work in to get good results. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much this did help me a lot. This is a good way to remember and stay focused :)
  • teamflatbelly
    Options
    I wanted to say something helpful but reading the other posts answered most concerns. Most likely continue doing what you are doing. maybe learn some more about proper lifting techniques and how to increase muscle mass thru weight lifting instead of just staying the course. Keep that protein high and good nutrition meaning high vitamins and mineral content. Drink lots of water. Helps regularly clear trash out of your system.

Thank you as well this was great information also :)
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Don't fall victim to phuck-around-itis. Follow a proven strength training program.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    How is your diet? If you're eating like crap, but going to the gym, you're not going to see results. The work we do in the gym only counts for about 20%. The rest is diet.
  • teamflatbelly
    Options
    Don't fall victim to phuck-around-itis. Follow a proven strength training program.

Lol thanks :)
  • teamflatbelly
    Options
    How is your diet? If you're eating like crap, but going to the gym, you're not going to see results. The work we do in the gym only counts for about 20%. The rest is diet.

My diet is ok it can be better to be honest. I snack more than I eat meals. When I do snack I make sure it's healthy at least unless I take one of my kids fruit snacks. I barely go out to eat anymore because everything is made with so much salt and I don't want to be tempted to put that crap back in my body. I drink water only unless it's in my cereal.