Any one else have this problem?

Options
So, I have been, for the most part, doing really well in following the allowed calories for the day, as well as being good about following the fat and carb intake; but the one thing that I can't seem to get under control is the sodium intake. I am usually off by at least 1000, which to me is ridiculous; does any one else have this problem, and if so, what are some helpful tips? Or are there some of you for whom this doesn't matter as much as the other stuff, be honest, because I tend to find myself in that category more often than not. Thanks. :)

Replies

• GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't care all that much about my sodium intake. I do keep my eye on it and look to see how it fluctuates from day to day, but I don't worry when I go over.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'ld not care about the sodium intake unless you have high blood pressure (hypertension). Just drink a lot of water, dont add extra salt on your food. That would be enough.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I used too. & at times, I still get close. But since I prelog all my food the night b4, I never let myself go over. I change things up to make it work. When u go shopping, try to take a look at the sodium & if it has a lot, just put it back. Try eating less processed foods. I think those tend to have a lot.
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I don't track the sodium, I try to make sure that I'm reading labels and getting foods that aren't overly high in it, but it's not one of the things that I'm tracking on here.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I can't see your diary so I can't comment properly but my sodium is usually pretty low, I try and eat plenty of fruit and veg, I try and keep grains to wholemeal and although I don't eat completely clean by any stretch of the imagination I try and stay away from ready meals and things like that, hope that helps :smile:
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I do worry about sodium because heart disease is in my family. I don't tend to go over. I avoid too much frozen food, prepackaged food, and cheeses. I tend to go over on sugar all the time though, am working on it because I know it is not good for me.
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are eating. If you are worried about it then don't get packaged sandwich meats- thats a big one right there. I try to keep track of my sodium as to not have excess water weight. I just look at nutrition labels before I buy things and keep an estimated running total in my head. One way to offset sodium intake a bit is to drink a lot of water.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sodium is one of the hardest things to keep under. Try to avoid processed foods as much as possible. Avoid canned foods - most packaged foods, and any prepared boxed or frozen meals. Eating out is terrible too. I do almost all of my own cooking so I come under most of the time. Good luck!
  • baggyapple
    Options
    It seems like the biggest reccomendation for off setting excess sodium is lots of water; in which case I guess I am doing allright. With the exception of a FEW rare ocassions, all I drink is water; at least a gallon a day and with every meal. Been doing that for so long now that I don't even think about it anymore and in fact don't miss anything with flavor all that much! :)
  • kabirmasto
    Options
    I have found my sodium is always really low, and I can only attribute it to the fact that i almost never eat anything packaged or processed as I live in rural India and have to make everything fresh. And I definitely add salt to my food. It's nearly always high in the pre-made, packaged meals or processed foods. Try preparing all your own foods as much as possible. The safest way to eat! Good luck :smile:
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Eat less processed foods
    Eat at restaurants less

If you can get more of your calories from whole foods sodium will come down.
  • annahuebscher
    Options
    Try to cut out as much processed food as possible.....make fresh, simple food. I try to avoid, as much as I can, all the added crap in packaged food. That said, I'm not worried about it particularly when my sodium is too high on here....it's like oh well....
    I don't add salt to anything I cook anymore, and have been trying to add different spices instead...so far everything is covered in cayenne pepper haha
    Good luck! :)
  • djcuts
    djcuts Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As long as you avoid processed food (ready meals and frozen rubbish from the supermarket), and replace them with home made meals, avoid adding too much salt to your meals, don't eat salty snacks often then I wouldn't worry too much. :smile: