Slim Fast okay for me?

Options
So I know this is something I should talk to my doctor about, which I have, he said I should try a diet. But I never had, so my mom told me to try Slim Fast, since when she was younger she used it and did lose weight. I have Hypothyroidism, but surprisingly, I do lose the weight fast. I used to work at Walmart, ate nothing but fast food and I still lost weight for the 3 months I worked there and no medications needed. But I been told I HAVE to take them, so sadly back to meds.

So to the topic, I want to if anyone out there had thyroid disease AND has tried this diet, does it work? And does the drink taste good? I have heard that Slim Fast isn't good for people with Thyroid, because it doesn't let the medications work, but I still want to try it, possible take the meds first before drinking or eating anything Slim Fast. What do you guys say?

Replies

• runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You should DEFINITELY take your meds everyday. Exactly the way your doctor advises you to take meds. I screwed around with taking my meds for several and it didn't do me any favors.

Slim-Fast is not a realistic diet. Do you really want to drink shakes like that for the rest of your life or would you rather enjoy real food? I would encourage you to learn how to eat real food and make it a part of your daily life.
  • Black_rose1809
    Black_rose1809 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You should DEFINITELY take your meds everyday. Exactly the way your doctor advises you to take meds. I screwed around with taking my meds for several and it didn't do me any favors.

Slim-Fast is not a realistic diet. Do you really want to drink shakes like that for the rest of your life or would you rather enjoy real food? I would encourage you to learn how to eat real food and make it a part of your daily life.

Oh no I know it's not a good diet, but I want to try it because I get my calories right, because at home, we eat really badly. I do eat normally, but at least drink or eat some slim fast things for breakfast because I don't get hungry in the mornings.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Do you really want to drink shakes like that for the rest of your life
    I can never understand comments like this, why can't someone use a 4/6/8 week diet then revert to eating sensible amounts of normal food.

Slim Fast etc has the advantage of being nutritionally complete so you can run a high deficit / low calorie intake and be nutritionally fulfilled which can be a challenge on real food at low calories.