Is my intolerance of running a result of hypersensitivity?

Options

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Jennfrye - I have Irlen tints on my glasses and it does help a lot.

There are definitely lots of men on the autism spectrum out there and active. And women too - like myself. For many of us, adulthood is easier than childhood because we've had chance to develop a lot of strategies to deal with our processing differences, and to really capitalise on our strengths. So you have lots of reason to have high hopes for your son. :-)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My twelve year old has aspergers... when we first started biking as a family for exercise he would complain a lot about "fast trees"making his feet/knees hurt... I know this isn't exactly the same as running...but I got him a very nice pair of sunshades and a great helmet (very large biking helmet that sort of blocks peripheral vision) and we just slowly increased what he could do... Worked with him about ignoring/blocking out the distractions... He calls it "marathon_ing" he says "I get into my mode and let it all slide"over the course of three years we have gone from not being able to go a whole mile to being able to ride 170 miles last week in five days...

He also likes to wear under armor shirts (we tried the sensory vest but he likes under armor better)... He says it "gives me a nest I can carry with me" he especially likes to wear one on new trails... After we've done a trail a few times he is cool with it...

As a side note... It does my heart good when I see grown men with autistic syndromes are active and "out there"... Gives me hope for my son...

Don't worry too much about your son as an adult. What's important is that you make sure he isn't a bully magnet as a child in school. That can have a debilitating effect on him that will last throughout childhood. Children on the spectrum tend to be bully magnets growing up.

Using my sensory issues to put together workout programs that satisfy my stimming urges is one of the ways I've lost so much weight. That and the "need" I have to eat mostly the same things every day.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Don't worry too much about your son as an adult. What's important is that you make sure he isn't a bully magnet as a child in school. That can have a debilitating effect on him that will last throughout childhood. Children on the spectrum tend to be bully magnets growing up.

Using my sensory issues to put together workout programs that satisfy my stimming urges is one of the ways I've lost so much weight. That and the "need" I have to eat mostly the same things every day.

The older he gets the less I worry... He has had years of therapy and sensitivity training... And we're found a good combo of anti anxiety and anti hyperactive meds (at least for now)... And he copes much better now... He used to have meltdowns at least once a week where he was nearly catatonic... He hasn't had one in three years! He has also learned how to tell when he has upset someone (he seems like such a vulcan when he says "I sense I have disturbed your emotions, how can I make amends"... Very cute) ...

I always try to see things from his perspective... The little things... Like when I have to cut the tag out of my shirt because it bugs me... Life is like that for him all the time... And it makes it easier for me to not get upset with him...

as for not being bullied... He has the best siblings in the world.... they go to bat for him a thousand times...

I know you said you go to group therapy... Have you brought up your running issues there? I know that Chris gets a lot of great feedback from the other kids he talks to about his issues... And he loves teaching his coping mechanisms
  • contingencyplan
    Options

The older he gets the less I worry... He has had years of therapy and sensitivity training... And we're found a good combo of anti anxiety and anti hyperactive meds (at least for now)... And he copes much better now... He used to have meltdowns at least once a week where he was nearly catatonic... He hasn't had one in three years! He has also learned how to tell when he has upset someone (he seems like such a vulcan when he says "I sense I have disturbed your emotions, how can I make amends"... Very cute) ...

I always try to see things from his perspective... The little things... Like when I have to cut the tag out of my shirt because it bugs me... Life is like that for him all the time... And it makes it easier for me to not get upset with him...

as for not being bullied... He has the best siblings in the world.... they go to bat for him a thousand times...

I know you said you go to group therapy... Have you brought up your running issues there? I know that Chris gets a lot of great feedback from the other kids he talks to about his issues... And he loves teaching his coping mechanisms

Haven't brought up the running issues there, no. Never though tit was something worth mentioning.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Hi contingency

How disruptive is your ASD, in terms of daily living? The only research I'm aware of in this area suggests that running, and other kinds of repetitive exercise are associated with a reduction in the behavioural 'symptoms' of ASD (like stereotypy, being able to stay on-task etc), but obviously that's only relevant if you experience those types of difficulties?

I've had a quick search and can't find any evidence around the sensory issues you describe, but I guess it does make sense in terms of the *experience* of sensory overload. I can't find anything relevant right now, and I'm going away for a few days so don't have time to do a more thorough search. But if you'd find it helpful, I'll have another look when I get home in a few days.

I guess, though, the balance of evidence points to static state cardio being good for ASD.

Best of luck - I hope you find a way round this issue.

J
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Looking at the comments about swimming - might something like bike riding work better for you? Still steady state cardio, but less of a jarring action?

(I don't think HIIT would be a good option - I think that was suggested up the thread?)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Look into switching to mid-foot landing. There are some YouTube videos or you can buy a book like Chi Running if you want to find out more or a Google will tell you a lot of what you need to know. It will reduce the impact substantially. I've got some Sorbothane insoles which have significantly reduced impact injuries I was getting too.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Hi contingency

How disruptive is your ASD, in terms of daily living? The only research I'm aware of in this area suggests that running, and other kinds of repetitive exercise are associated with a reduction in the behavioural 'symptoms' of ASD (like stereotypy, being able to stay on-task etc), but obviously that's only relevant if you experience those types of difficulties?

I've had a quick search and can't find any evidence around the sensory issues you describe, but I guess it does make sense in terms of the *experience* of sensory overload. I can't find anything relevant right now, and I'm going away for a few days so don't have time to do a more thorough search. But if you'd find it helpful, I'll have another look when I get home in a few days.

I guess, though, the balance of evidence points to static state cardio being good for ASD.

Best of luck - I hope you find a way round this issue.

J

What do you mean by how disruptive is it in daily living?
    Looking at the comments about swimming - might something like bike riding work better for you? Still steady state cardio, but less of a jarring action?

(I don't think HIIT would be a good option - I think that was suggested up the thread?)

I actually already do HIIT cardio using jump rope and calisthenics drills. But I'm looking for something steady state I can do. Bicycling would be good but I would have to transport my bicycle to a place where I can ride it since my neighborhood is not suitable for it (very urban, more time spent stopped waiting for light changes than moving).
    Look into switching to mid-foot landing. There are some YouTube videos or you can buy a book like Chi Running if you want to find out more or a Google will tell you a lot of what you need to know. It will reduce the impact substantially. I've got some Sorbothane insoles which have significantly reduced impact injuries I was getting too.

I don't have enough coordination and motor control to be able to control how my foot lands all that well. It lands how it lands.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Hi contingency, I meant how 'severe' is the asd. Most of the research I mentioned is with people who might be described as 'moderate'. I was trying to work out how relevant that would be to you. So to what degree would experiences like stereotypy or on task problems trouble you.

What do you want to get out of the steady state cardio? What's your aim with it?
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Hi contingency, I meant how 'severe' is the asd. Most of the research I mentioned is with people who might be described as 'moderate'. I was trying to work out how relevant that would be to you. So to what degree would experiences like stereotypy or on task problems trouble you.

What do you want to get out of the steady state cardio? What's your aim with it?

The things I do for cardio generally are at an intensity level that manate a rest day afterwards. Want something milder so I can do it daily.

I'm not sure as I have no frame of reference. I'm not very good at just throwing these things out there. I can answer specific questions but that's it.
  • justjenn1977
    Options

The things I do for cardio generally are at an intensity level that manate a rest day afterwards. Want something milder so I can do it daily.

I'm not sure as I have no frame of reference. I'm not very good at just throwing these things out there. I can answer specific questions but that's it.

so you are looking for something that still counts as cardio (as in raises your heartrate in a sustained way) and is repetitive enough and not as jarring... but isn't swimming....

I definately reccommend biking... Chris has really gotten into biking... and the way he was describing it to me... if he knows the trail and he can go his own speed... and he can wear his shades and helmet... it doesn't cause hornets to nest inside his brain...

I know you said you would have to take your bike out of your neighborhood... we do that... I have a carrier on my van that holds three bikes... and my bike is usually kept on it... and I ride often (usually about 100 miles a month)... I find trails that I like and that are on my way home from work (I work nights so I get off at 8am) and I ride... I can rack up the miles pretty quickly....
  • contingencyplan
    Options

so you are looking for something that still counts as cardio (as in raises your heartrate in a sustained way) and is repetitive enough and not as jarring... but isn't swimming....

I definately reccommend biking... Chris has really gotten into biking... and the way he was describing it to me... if he knows the trail and he can go his own speed... and he can wear his shades and helmet... it doesn't cause hornets to nest inside his brain...

I know you said you would have to take your bike out of your neighborhood... we do that... I have a carrier on my van that holds three bikes... and my bike is usually kept on it... and I ride often (usually about 100 miles a month)... I find trails that I like and that are on my way home from work (I work nights so I get off at 8am) and I ride... I can rack up the miles pretty quickly....

I don't own a car so I'd have to take my bicycle on the bus. Very troublesome =( There are no nearby trails to ride on,just parks that have bike loops
  • opuntia
    Options
    How long did you try running for? I'm just wondering whether it's something you might adapt to. Well, I've been wondering that for myself, because I'd like to start running and maybe run in a marathon. I'm very aware that, for myself, there have been quite a few physical activities that I hated at first, but my body adapted to, and I enjoy now. Such as swimming and cycling, and various strength exercises.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    How long did you try running for? I'm just wondering whether it's something you might adapt to. Well, I've been wondering that for myself, because I'd like to start running and maybe run in a marathon. I'm very aware that, for myself, there have been quite a few physical activities that I hated at first, but my body adapted to, and I enjoy now. Such as swimming and cycling, and various strength exercises.

Jogging I've tried at various points my whole life. The main issue I'm experiencing with it is that the pounding I'm feeling when I'm in a jog prevents me from being able to go for longer than I can when I'm in an all out sprint, about 30 seconds to a minute or so. With a sprint I stop then because I'm out of steam. With a jog it's because the pounding is too much.
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    I don't own a car so I'd have to take my bicycle on the bus. Very troublesome =( There are no nearby trails to ride on,just parks that have bike loops

that's ok... when we lived in Tucson Az... we didn't have a car for three years... I totally understand taking a bus (did so with three little ones)

you could probably try the bike trails at the parks... we have some lovely greenways around here... and I just do them like 7-10 times when I need miles quick... (we have one that is 1 mile from my house so I can go and get 20 miles in 90 minutes by riding there and then riding it 8 times and riding home...)
  • justjenn1977
    Options

Jogging I've tried at various points my whole life. The main issue I'm experiencing with it is that the pounding I'm feeling when I'm in a jog prevents me from being able to go for longer than I can when I'm in an all out sprint, about 30 seconds to a minute or so. With a sprint I stop then because I'm out of steam. With a jog it's because the pounding is too much.

have you tried different inserts in your shoes??

I do something with Chris... I don't even know what to call it... if it has an actual name or something... if he has something that is bugging him sense wise)... I walk him through putting that sense "in a box"... I guess you could call it self hypnosis... I tell him to make a box in his head... and then everything goes in the box until it is just you and whatever you are doing... I talk to him and tell him that things that overwhelm him can just go "in the box"... when we first started doing this it was very difficult to talk him through it... but now that he has been doing it for about 6 years it is much easier and he can do it himself...
  • opuntia
    Options

I do something with Chris... I don't even know what to call it... if it has an actual name or something... if he has something that is bugging him sense wise)... I walk him through putting that sense "in a box"... I guess you could call it self hypnosis... I tell him to make a box in his head... and then everything goes in the box until it is just you and whatever you are doing... I talk to him and tell him that things that overwhelm him can just go "in the box"... when we first started doing this it was very difficult to talk him through it... but now that he has been doing it for about 6 years it is much easier and he can do it himself...

Out of interest, how does that work with fatigue? I can make myself ignore sensory hypersensitivity and just go ahead and do something, and I used to always do this, and it ended up resulting in severe fatigue. As I've grown older, I've learnt to listen more to my senses and ensure I have a lot of time alone in a non-stimulating environment. Is your son's body not still experiencing the senses at some level?
  • millieb73
    Options
    I just wanted to thank you for posting this thread. My 5 year old son has autism and I am really interested in your experiences.

As for your question, my only suggestion would be to see an Occupational Therapist. I'm always stunned by the wide knowledge they have of so many sensory issues.

Good luck!!
  • justjenn1977
    Options

Out of interest, how does that work with fatigue? I can make myself ignore sensory hypersensitivity and just go ahead and do something, and I used to always do this, and it ended up resulting in severe fatigue. As I've grown older, I've learnt to listen more to my senses and ensure I have a lot of time alone in a non-stimulating environment. Is your son's body not still experiencing the senses at some level?

he still does spend a lot of time in a non stimulating environment... and he blocks a lot of visual stuff by wearing dark shades and a hat/helmet... mainly he uses the mental box for times when he CAN NOT get away... for things that are overwhelming to him that he has to do...

he is still very young (12) and has adhd too... so this may not be tiring for him... I will have to ask him when I get home from work :)
  • opuntia
    Options
    he still does spend a lot of time in a non stimulating environment... and he blocks a lot of visual stuff by wearing dark shades and a hat/helmet... mainly he uses the mental box for times when he CAN NOT get away... for things that are overwhelming to him that he has to do...

he is still very young (12) and has adhd too... so this may not be tiring for him... I will have to ask him when I get home from work :)

Ah, okay, that makes sense. He may not get fatigue yet anyway - I didn't really get it till adulthood, because I didn't have to use so many strategies as a kid. I could just go into a world of my own and not bother so much with trying to understand the world. And also as a kid I didn't have the self awareness to know when I was tired anyway. I'm impressed you're teaching him so many strategies. That will give him a head start. No one taught me strategies - I had to figure them out for myself by trial and error..