Ice Bath vs Ice Packs & Sports creams

Options
How many people actually take an ice bath after a hard workout? I keep getting told by friends this is something I should do for the amount of exercising I do.

I commonly just strap on ice packs or lather on the sports menthol creams, how beneficial are ice baths vs what I've been doing?

Replies

• paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Ice baths do work, after my first 10k training run I could hardly walk for 2 days so after the following 10k my son prepared an ice bath ready for me. It took some courage to sit in there but I persevered for 10min and the following day I had some aching but was able to walk no problem and getting up after siting was easy :-)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I only do ice when I have an injury. If it's just general soreness, I love a warm bath in epsom salts. Fixes me right up.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I only ice injuries. I freeze it in a Dixie cup, peel it away and ice massage directly on the skin. In the past (as a professional dancer), I would fill a hot tub and alternate between the direct ice for 5 minutes, hot bath for 5 and keep going with that. I can see how an ice bath could help, but it could also cause stress. Regular muscle pain (from weight lifting) does not bother me the way injury pain does.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    ...oh also...another reason I do no submerse in an ice bath is because I have some nerve problems that get worse when cold. That's why I ice specific to the parts that need it.
  • GrumpyAG
    GrumpyAG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in ice baths....I used one for the 1st time after my first (and only so far) marathon and it worked a treat. Now I tend to only use them after a tough football match or hard run when I know I'm going to suffer from DOMS. But yeah they do work :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It depends largely on what you're trying to accomplish.

I've found an ice bath after a really hard run helps speed recovery. If you're treating an injury ice the affected area. Topical analgesics can help manage pain but do little to aid healing and recovery.
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Ice -- Heal good

Heat -- Feel good

Memorize!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Research is split on the effectiveness of "ice baths". The majority of the sports psychologists suggest the water temp be between 50F and 60F, and you should sit in it for at least 10 mins.