Salad recepies. Any ideas

Options
Sepa
Sepa Posts: 243 Member
I need to start eating more veg. I have in the past tried to make a salad, and of course they are never as good as if you order one in a cafe. The problem I have been having is I make my salad for lunch before I start work. I keep the sala in the fridge at work but by the time I come to eat it the mayonnaise has gone all runny (this may be because it has mixed with the tomato juice) and this makes my salad horrid and then I go off salads again for a while.

So really. My question is what dressings do you use in salads that won't go funny in the 5 hours from prep to eating.
What are your fave salad recepies (potato/rice which veg used. Etc)

Thanks in advanced for any ideas :flowerforyou:

Replies

• tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is keep your dressing in a separate pot and mix in just before you eat. That is what's making your salad limp. A little olive oil mixed with either lemon juice or balsamic vinegar with some seasoning is good.
  • NicoleBecca
    Options
    is there enough room in your fridge at work to keep all the ingredients seperate until lunch time, that's what I do, I like to make a tuna salad or shredded chicken salad, pretty yummy :)
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I just keep a bottle of salad dressing in the fridge at work. I don't like mayo anyway, so I just tend to get whatever dressing, but I never put it on until just before I eat the salad. Morrisons has a good range, I like the fine herb one, and the piri piri one if I fancy something a bit spicy.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask. I just made a super awesome salad yesterday I am munching on today :)

Ingredients:
    250g smallish noodles (I used Birkel's Trulli)
    1 cucumber
    250g small tomatoes (cherry tomatoes work very well)
    1 can of pea and corn mix (I used Bonduelle's Florida Mix)
    1/2 cup dressing of your choice (joghurt based works very well, I used a French dressing)
    250g salty goat cheese/ feta without any added herbs

Depending on the noodles, cheese and dressing your numbers will be different but mine worked out to
    8 servings of about a cup, 285 calories, 30g carbs, 13g fat, 12g protein

Directions:
    - cook the noodles with about a teaspoon salt
    - cut the tomatoes and cucumbers in small pieces
    - cool the noodles down in cold water
    - put the noodles in a big bowl, mix in the veggies
    - stir, stir, stir
    - cut the cheese in small pieces and stir again
    - add dressing and stir some more
    - season with salt and pepper or other spices to taste
    - let sit over night to make the dressing and spices work their way into the noodles
    - stir once the next morning and ENJOY!!!
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thank you. There is enough room in the fridge to keep it all separate but the people who share the fridge are either dirt bags or thieves so would rather just keep the salad pre made. Will put the dressing in too as if that goes walked I'm not too far from tesco. Will try these idea too:happy:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You can pour some dressing into a small plastic bag or wrap of clingfilm, and still keep it in the salad tub. Then just stir in before eating.