Exercising with shin splints?

Options
Hey everyone, I have a question about keeping up my cardio while recovering from shin splints. I get bored incredibly easily with cardio, the only way I can do it is in a class setting (aerobics, body combat, zumba etc.) which I do 1 or 2 hours of every day (morning and evening most days), so my body is used to a bigggg burn every day, and I'm used to eating a lot!

I'm thinking of doing swimming instead of all my regular stuff but I know I will quit before the hour's up if I'm just mindlessly swimming laps :/ So, could anyone give me an hour-long swimming routine to burn 300-400 in an hour if possible? Like switching up pace, strokes, all that stuff? Some sort of HIIT thing but with swimming maybe?

Also, would cycling on a stationary bicycle be ok for my legs? If so, same question, could anyone give me a routine/goal to aim for rather than just mindlessly cycling for an hour? Tonight I'm thinking if it's ok, 30-40ish mins on a bike, a pilates class then up to an hour (but if I get bored realistically more like half an hour) swimming. If I get a good idea for a cal burning routine for either swimming or cycling though, maybe I'll just do one of the 2 tonight and save the other for tomorrow, switch up days b/w swimming and cycling.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Replies

• zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    helppp?
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    hate to do this but i need help so bump?
  • LiamGTR
    LiamGTR Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Did you develop shin splits from running? If so it's probably down to your technique and more so, your shoes. Don't cancel out cardio just because of shin splits, get some new shoes with less heel cushion and your technique will change on it's own, you'll also notice less pain/pressure on your lower back.

Also, 30-40 mins on a bike, pilates, then a hour swimming. you're exercising way to much. calm down.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My doctor said it was ok to use an exercise bike when I had a stress fracture, so I imagine it would be fine with shin splints.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    You should get better shoes and work with a PT to correct what caused the shin splints… also, check in with a nutritionist to make sure you are eating "healing" foods...
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When I use an exercise bike I do interval training. Depending on your endurance you can alter to suit what you can handle:

Warm up for 5 minutes
    Moderate pace for 2 minutes
    Fast pace for 1 minute
    Alternate
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    How to get rid of shin-splints --

Raise one foot off the ground, and draw each letter of the alphabet with the front of your foot. When you get to the end, switch feet and do the same thing.

Go back to the first foot, and write out the alphabet in lowercase letters. Do the same with the other foot.

You'll be good in a couple of days.

.....and quit running on the fronts of your feet. Run heel-toe.
  • justiningham
    justiningham Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When I use an exercise bike I do interval training. Depending on your endurance you can alter to suit what you can handle:

Warm up for 5 minutes
    Moderate pace for 2 minutes
    Fast pace for 1 minute
    Alternate

I do a similar routine on a cycle machine - keep the resistance mid to high and then - 30 minutes of:
    30 seconds moderate/ 30 seconds fast...

it certainly gets my heart rate going and I dont get trouble from my shin splints (which was why I stopped running - despite the correct trainers).
  • LiamGTR
    LiamGTR Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    .....and quit running on the fronts of your feet. Run heel-toe.
    Absolutely and categorically ignore this advice under ALL circumstances!