Alli...does it work?

Options
I just bought a bottle of Alli and started using it today before meals. I stay within my calorie goal and watch my fat intake, but I'm wondering if Alli will help bump my weightloss numbers. :huh:

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sorry, i say no drugs. May help you lose a bit more to start bu when you go back to "normal" you'll gain it back. I did with Meridia many moons ago.
  • kristijoanderson
    Options
    I also tried Meridia a long time ago and had terrible side effects (oily stools that were not controllable) YIKES! I say find a good eating plan that incorporates healthy choices and forget the pills. I love the Flat Belly Diet. It is easy and requires no unusual foods and no expensive ingredients. Even my husband is doing it and we have made it our lifestyle. Pretty good for a ranching family who once only ate beef, potatoes, gravy and bread. Good luck.
  • spaztastic13
    spaztastic13 Posts: 229
    Options
    Im sorry to tell you but if u eat anything greasy u will poop yourself!!!!!! Just saying
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Alli works by not allowing your body to absorb the fat that you consume. If you don't consume much fat, it won't help you. Also, I hope you know the side effects many have discovered due to how alli works. Especially when you consume a high amount of fat, it stays in your intestine, but in liquid form. Your intestines can't hold liquids, which has been known to cause embarrassing issues for people.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hello. I've been on Xenical (same as Alli but prescription strength 120mg) and it's been great for me. Just gotta be really careful what you eat otherwise, as mentioned, the horrible oily poops appear...not great AT ALL!! If you're careful and stick to the recommended fat intake per meal/day I've found there to be no problems.

It has had mixed reviews, for some people it works wonders but for others it doesn't seem to help much at all.

It works in different ways for different folk :-)
  • aquababy
    aquababy Posts: 8
    Options
    If you want to take Alli and have a life, be careful what you eat. You never know what you'll expect when you go to the bathroom!
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I made the mistake of trying it. I have IBS and it messed up my body for about 6 weeks after I stopped taking it. It you are already eating low fat meals I would not bother with it. If you have any kind of digestive issues I would not take it at all.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    The funny thing about this product is it probably does more for you when it's not doing anything, i.e., when you are afraid of the side effects, causing you to eat healthier meals.
  • arielsinlove
    arielsinlove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The funny thing about this product is it probably does more for you when it's not doing anything, i.e., when you are afraid of the side effects, causing you to eat healthier meals.

This is exactly why I take Alli. I'm using it to "train" myself to make the healthier choices. You have to be careful with eating greasy food, but I've found that staying under 12g of fat per meal results in no adverse side effects.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I lost about 6 lbs with Aili and stop taking it because I had fast food one day. I fell off the band wagon and I'm thinking of getting back on it.
    Like it's been said, it helps block fat absorption and with a healthy low fat diet it can help you lose weight.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Anal leakage, people. Anal. Leakage. NOT ACCEPTABLE.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that used this. Her weight did go down a lot. Bad thing? She stayed in the bathroom ALL the time
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Make sure you wear dark pants and undies and bring an extra pair with you... one little slip up and you'll slip up ;-)
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Anal leakage, people. Anal. Leakage. NOT ACCEPTABLE.
    EXACTLY
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :noway: WOW she really lost a LOT of weight and looks great, but man does she smell!!

:laugh:
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    it didnt help me- made me feel ill so I ended up throwing 95% of the bottle in the garbage :( everyone is different though-hope it helps you out!! :)
  • ibcsrl19
    ibcsrl19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Alli does work. Since it punishes you for eating the wrong foods, you learn to eat healthier. The only problem there is that when you stop, you may be easily tempted to eat everything in sight. I also found it was hard to remember to take a pill 3x a day.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think it can. It didn't work for me, though, because I didn't eat alot of fat. Carbs have always been my problem.