Has anybody tried NutriSystem?

Options
I have been looking into trying NutriSystem, however I have read so many mixed reviews. It's hard to tell if the positive responds are legit. I have tried MediFast for two months, I was able to stick with it and lost weight. However, I got really bored with eating "just add water," foods. When I am given guidelines and do's and dont's I have no problem following sticking with the problem. I struggle when I try to try to eat so many calories, carbs, fat, and etc. i tend to over eat.

I have a really busy schedule and my job requires alot of travel so I like the convenience of the pre packaged foods. I looked into other plans, but it would require me to devote a lot of time preparing my meals. If I have to prepare the food I can foresee myself using the excuse that I didn't have time so that's why I HAD to go to McDonald's.

If anybody has used the program or knows somebody who has I would like the feedback!

Thank you!

Replies

• willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    hi...i did this two different times......i did lose weight but it is so expensive.....you buy the meals and then buy regular food...veggies...fruits...breads...

you can get the same out of Healthy Choice and it is half the cost and lower in cals and other stuff...

the nutrisystem food looks good on tv but it is not all good....if you want to eat the same thing all month, there are a few meals that are good,,,believe me, after about a month, you will think you are eating dog food..the food gets old quick....

i did lose weight but the whole key to the plan is carefully measured portions..

hope this helps....

i do a lower carb ...leam meats...veggies...i use Atkins shakes for breakfast....you can go to my profile and look at my food diary....i got a lot to lose but have tried everything..

NS...makes you think the food is fabulous...its not!

talk more

bill
  • JillyBean00
    Options
    I did NutriSystem 2 yrs ago, for 3 or 4 months- lost 20 lbs- which I've kept off. I loved how easy it was- if you are looking for easy, that is it- nothing even needs to be refridgerated! You add veggies, salads, etc- the food's not so bad- some things aren't the best- but some of it is really good! :)

good luck!!!
  • ckas10
    ckas10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did it for about 6 months and lost some weight. It works, but like everything else it is really about portion control.

And, as Willnorton mentioned, when you're done buying your Nutrisystem food you're not done buying food, you still have to buy all the sides and such as normal. In other words, your grocery bill is probably going to go up a bit.

Some of the food is pretty good, but if you're tired of "just add water" food then you'll want to avoid a third or so of the menu...

Keep an eye on your local Craigslist or even ebay -- lots of people sell lots of NS food. You can save tons of money that way. Just ask about expiry dates before buying!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I did NutriSystem last year. It was okay. Kind of expensive. What bothered me the most was all of the chemicals and artificial stuff they put into their foods. The food was okay, but the soups everyday for lunch got to me. To each their own.
  • LisaC1026
    LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years ago and personally thought it was a waste. I didn't really care for the food. You also had to add in tons of veggies, etc that really didn't make it any easier than simply making healthy shopping choices at the grocery store. Not to mention it was expensive. I have also tried MediFast (I preferred Medifast over NutriSystem). I truly believe that you need to make the changes to your diet and how you choose to eat the good old fashioned way. I have found that my best way to lose weight is to log all my food on MFP, workout and drink lots of water. I was down almost 20 pounds doing this method, but unfortunately got some bad news in my life and went back to my old comfort eating habits. I weigh-in on Wednesday and this will be my first weigh-in since I reset my ticker at the end of 2009. I stepped on the scale for a quick peek this morning and I am down 6 pounds. I have been drinking a minimum of 64 oz a day, working out daily and strictly staying within my calorie range each day.
  • kenya84
    kenya84 Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you all for your tips and advice! It is very expensive so I really wanted to think it through!!I am going to try watching carbs and fat intake and see what difference that makes! UGH....I've don't it before I don't know why it's so difficult the 2nd time around!
  • LisaC1026
    LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Sometimes its just hard to get your motivation up - once you do the world better watch out! :flowerforyou: I took before pictures on January 1st (you can see them if you go to my profile and click on my pictures) That is my motivation!
  • kenya84
    Options
    I think the before pics are a good idea! You see yourself in the mirror everyday but when you put it out their publicly it's like you are really saying that you are going to make the change!!!

Good luck to you too, I look forward to seeing the after pictures!!
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I tried Nutrisystem last summer and only got about 1.5 months worth of food...I didn't like the taste of most of it, and I realized that by looking at the food at the store and making smarter choices and planning meals better, i could have a much better meal making it myself. Even though you buy the meals, you still have to eat the fruits, veggies, and dairy, so you are still going to the store! I still have a ton the food left over because it was just not good (tasted pretty gross actually) and I don't want to throw it out. I wouldn't waste your money on it. For me, I have found if I make a "rough" meal plan for the week, I stick too it.

for example,
    Monday
    Breakfast, cereal, skim milk, fruit
    Lunch, salad, tuna
    dinner, chili
    Snack: yogurt
    then I try to make it balanced by adding fruits, veggies or other food groups so that I get a more balanced day of food and try to keep it under my calorie goal. By recording my meals here, I then go to reports and see how I am doing on getting my nutrients and try to adjust it as the days go on so that I am not severely lacking in one vitamin or mineral...

I would not recommend the Nutrisystem, if you need convenience foods, I would opt for Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones in the freezer...some of those taste really good....
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    My parents had a lot of success with Nutrisystem. They both bought 1 month of food found out what to look for on labels and then created a similar diet on their own. I believe they eat a lot of SmartOnes.
  • kenya84
    Options
    Thank you. When I start traveling again next month I think I am going to opt for Smart Ones of Lean Cuisine. Nutrisystem is very expensive if it is going to be the same as frozen meals at the grocery store!
  • jaimemarie16
    jaimemarie16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i am on it right now - started yesterday! i am starving!!!! it is making me realize though how much i was actually eating before. it's helping with my portion control.