The time...the time...

Options
I want to get back into an exercise routine (I was in Yoga and liked that a lot) but finding the time with a full time job, kids, a house, and spending the extra time in researching dieting and special foods, plus trying to cook servicing a diet, is tough! How do you do it?

Replies

• clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Well for one we don't complain. It's not like you are in the advanced stages of athletics you don't need anything hard. Just simple. Eat at a deficit=lose weight. Lift weights to maintain or build muscle. Whats hard about that?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    It's hard, but you have to make the time. Schedule it, just like anything else you "have" to do each day. Examine any "down" time you have each day. What do you do (watch TV, surf the internet?) and do you really need to do that activity for that long? Then, cut some of the time out and put it towards a workout.

Personally, I work out in the mornings. I get up an hour early to make sure I get a workout in. That way, there's no "excuse" later in the day that I was "too busy".

Remember, workouts don't have to be long.
  • Hmwarren84
    Hmwarren84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It can be tough for me to find time and I am housewife! I find that even if you can't make it to the gym, there are plenty of DVDs that you can try out at home in the morning or whenever you have even as little as 15 minutes to spare! It also gets easier to plan meals once you have a few weeks under your belt. Good luck on your journey and I hope you get good advice to help you out!
  • PoetaChica
    PoetaChica Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I create time. I have all that and some. It's hard, but I do it very early in the morning. If not, I try to break up a routine in chunks throughout the day. Organization is key, so I plan ahead with meals and everything in the household to create time for my body.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I started with the 30 day shred dvd - just 20 minutes a day in the comfort of your own home. There are no excuses not to fit that in. That really got me hooked on exercise. I then did Ripped in 30, then started running. Now I run 3 days a week (40 - 60 minutes for 2 of the runs, and then up to 2 hours on Saturday mornings), and I do a 20-30 minute kettlebell workout 2 - 3 days a week. I get up early to do my runs, and I usually do the kettlebells late afternoon or early evening. Sometimes while I am making dinner! That is really not much time at all. I don't like going to a gym just because of the extra time it takes, having to worry about my 4 year old, etc.

I have completely transformed doing that. Started around 180 at my highest, and now am 130 - went from 12s and 14s to 2s and 4s!
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you are saying. I don't have a good answer for you except I fit it in when I can. I already wake up at 4am for work, so I won't get up early to exercise. Afterwork it just depends on my chaotic life.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I work full time, an a part-time college, and a husband who can't cook worth beans. I will get up early before I go to work and exercise, or go exercise the moment I get off work before going home. I know if I go home 1st I will not exercise. I cook for us everyday. You don't really need to research diets unless you are completely clueless to whats healthy, or has health issues you need to watch. Eat what you like, you can even treat yourself to junk from time to time, as long as you account for it's all good.
  • ceeegeee
    ceeegeee Posts: 18
    Options
    Being of mom and working I get the time problem. I get up at 5:00 and I think come September it will be 4:30 am. It's too crazy in the afternoon between activities and dinner. I am too tired plus I live in a small house so there is no privacy after dinner (not fun having teenagers in and out of house while I am excercising)
  • stillme4you
    Options
    I have to be to work by 6 AM, so I get up to get ready at 5. So I think before work isn't a good time to do Yoga. The problem with after work (I would want to do it right after) is I get home and the area I need to do Yoga in (livingroom) is trashed from the kids and my husband. Some people need to start being responsible for their own messes before I get home...
  • Jexebel
    Jexebel Posts: 67
    Options
    You either want it enough and find the time, or you don't want it enough.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Could you take a yoga class a few days a week? Then you don't have to worry about kids or messes.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    i run when i get off from work start by 8 am (earlier on wednsdays cause i always schedule appts for that morning) and then since i dont work monday and wednsday nights i do some body weight exercises before i go to bed for the night usually some time around 4 am on tues and thurs and 2 days of rest over the weekend since ill have had my 2 rough nights then
  • stillme4you
    Options
    Thank all you people who took time out of your busy schedules to offer me some constructive advice and ideas and examples to go by. I really do appreciate it. You are very thoughtful. To the people who assume I'm just a whiner, or too lazy and don't "want it" enough to do anything, save yourself the keystrokes and just don't say anything from now on. At least to me. If you don't have something more constructive to offer, why offer anything at all?