Quiting coffee creamer

Options
mollyvon
mollyvon Posts: 114 Member
So, I decided today that I am going to stop adding coffee creamer (of any type) to my coffee. Looking back at my diary, I find that the coffee creamer alone can add 32 calories - 60 calories to each cup I drink (which is usually 4 per day; but sometimes as much as 8. I find that half the time I don't log it, and therefore I am cheating myself out of an accurate diary count. I am just now enjoying? my first cup without creamer. How long until start to like it this way?

Replies

• jdaileyjr
    Options
    not long, probably a month..
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I've tried it and just CANT!! My goal is to give up coffee completely...ON DAY!! So, until then, I use Sugar Free creamer most of the time and just try to keep logging it. I dont log it accurately but, working on my measuring skills now! :) I have cut back DRASTICALLY from what I normally would use tho!! :)
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    When I switched over I started using fat free milk and Stevia (true Stevia, not the crap from Walmart). Took a couple of weeks, but I got used to it.
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've given up a lot of things to get healthy, but my creamer isn't going to be one of them lol. I do try to buy the sugar free to cut down on my sugar intake, but it's hard to find any in flavors that I like, so I guess I'll just have to create my own. hmmm now that's a thought lol.
  • MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue! I can drink coffee all day long, and unfortunately, I like the coffee light, so I use alot. I like the sweet stuff and it drives my carbs WAY up! I'm not sure I could drink it black, but maybe with almond or coconut milk?
  • todietfor
    Options
    i know i should too, but dang if i don't love some coffee mate
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    maybe do skim milk instead? it will help you segue to a darker coffee and be less calories.... my philosophy is that if you eat well and exercise, treating yourself to that one pleasure (for me its whole milk and sugar in my coffee) then you'll be fine. I've tried switching to a little skim milk and splenda or other artificial sweeteners, but I just can't do it.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not have coffee at all than give up the creamer. I can't stand the taste of black coffee; I wish I did.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i stuck with it for a year and lost a alot of weight just with that, but it was too hard to stick with. First thing i do every morning is log my coffee creamer for my morning coffee and my evening coffee. I switched to smaller amounts which was easy. If you find you miss coffee with creamer too much, try smaller amounts and a different brand? Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    IF you find you can't stand the black coffee have you considered a non dairy milk? I use 20ml of rice milk and its only 10 calories.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I switched to almond milk. It may take a little time to get used to but it is worth it to me.

Others will probably eventually chime in and tell you that the only way to drink coffee is black and it is delicious that way. I can't do it though.
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That's one of the big things I've decided NOT to give up...and actually, I recently read an article that if you consume a little sugar with your breakfast in the morning it can curb your sweet tooth for the rest of the day. I will be keeping my creamer, tyvm. :)
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'll never give it up, it's my one thing that I want to keep. I bought MINI things of half and half that are 10 calories each. I allow myself 4 of those a day and PRE LOG them...That way I don't forget. I did give up sugar!!!!
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I cannot give it up. I cannot drink coffee without it. I have cut myself down to no more then 2 cups a day though and I use the sugar free creamer. This has also enabled me to up my water intake so I figure I am good. I make my coffee at home and bring to work this way I measure the creamer with a measuring spoon so I can accurately log how much I am consuming.
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    Good luck. I have tried it. I love it too much. Instead I went to fat free and gave up dressings on my salads.
  • wiregrrl
    wiregrrl Posts: 14
    Options
    I also gave up creamer & started drinking it black. I'd say it took about a week or so to get used to it. I've started buying better coffee and different blends to get variety.
  • worldgirl28
    Options
    Look for other types of coffee if you're finding your plain cup too bitter. I was drinking Folger's but then switched to Green Mountain (I got a Keurig) and found the Breakfast Blend to be unbelievable, even with just a tbsp of my usual creamer (I'd been putting almost six into my Folger's!). So shop around and try a few new brands. It might make the cream-free transition easier.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    Try So Delicious Coconut Creamer. I think it is 10 calories a tablespoon. It tastes just like half and half and has a lot less calories. I can not give up half and half or a reasonable facsimile!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't see why you'd want to cut out a little joy from your day. I've tried the Silk and other healthy options to no avail. Nothing tastes as rich in my opinion. Why not just factor it into your day and plan around it?
  • blacklaceroses
    blacklaceroses Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use Eas low carb protein shake (the per made one)in my coffee tastes beer than creamer.low calorie as well