Protein confusion!

Options
2»

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at the LEAST 100 grams of protein a day.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    Options
    I agree with an earlier comment, you should try to get 0.8 to 1g of protein per pound of body weight. I'm not hitting that number most days, but I know I should so I'm trying to add more protein in.
  • proctorcj
    Options
    LOL you must be an impatient person...Im showing you posted that second response only 10 minutes after posting the first one HEHE
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Nothing? Maybe I should post a pic of my tits then I would get some responses.

patience is a virtue.

also, you should probably eat more protein, as others have said. I'm gonna be at like 70 today, and that's super low.
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and am eating 84 grams a day and losing every week :)
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You could probably stand to eat more protein than that. You will gain weight from eating "too much" protein while in a calorie deficit.

Can you explain this to me. All I read says a calorie deficit is a deficit regardless of the macro breakdown and that a deficit usually results in weight loss unless one is in "starvation mode" i.e. way too low on calories.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Ah the high proetin MYTH!!! We dont need that much protein. We need the amino acids and those are broke down when you cook the meat. You can get all the protein you need from a plant based way of eating.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    There are lots of posts like this... I began my love affair with MFP when I discovered that I could change my macro-nutrient goals. If that weren't the case, I wouldn't be here because the auto goals are WAY OFF for me. I have much more fat and protein, and far less carbs, than MFP sets automatically for me; I have to!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Nothing? Maybe I should post a pic of my tits then I would get some responses.

You didn't get a response because this is asked several times daily, and people are tired of typing up the same response.

Do a search through the forums and you'll find a lot of information on this topic.
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Why not just concentrate on your calorie total, eat as reasonably heathy as possible and not torture yourself with worrying about protein? Unless you're not using MFP for weight loss but instead to keep track of nutritional values. Just a thought.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    You could probably stand to eat more protein than that. You will gain weight from eating "too much" protein while in a calorie deficit.

Can you explain this to me. All I read says a calorie deficit is a deficit regardless of the macro breakdown and that a deficit usually results in weight loss unless one is in "starvation mode" i.e. way too low on calories.

My bad - typo. I meant to say you WON'T gain weight while in a calorie deficit. let me see if i can edit my original reply.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Ah the high proetin MYTH!!! We dont need that much protein. We need the amino acids and those are broke down when you cook the meat. You can get all the protein you need from a plant based way of eating.

I don't recall anyone bringing up the vegan VS meat issue again (perhaps I missed a post?). I think we were talking about protein. Some of us may need more protein than you and thrive on a diet that includes animal products. I'm not you. Deal with it, or ignore it.
  • sbueche
    sbueche Posts: 1
    Options
    I get at least 120 grams of protein a day. The amount you need of course depends on your activity level.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    protein offers your body the materials it needs to repair itself. An overage in protein will only impact you if you have kidney or liver issues (one or the other, can't remember which), and thats only if you're constantly eating high protein.

Bottom line is Protein is GOOD FOR YOU. It will not impact your weight loss as long as you're not over eating in total calories.

Ps: my daily goal for protein is 134 grams.
  • boreshagal
    Options
    I always go over my protein, but without it I get hungry and then the cravings get to me. I am a newbie of two weeks and I just started tweeking my diet as of only 2 days ago playing around with a little less protein, for instance, instead of 4oz of chicken on my salad I will try 2-3oz.Since it is only 2 days really have no idea what will happen with the cravings.Usually, I am on target with calories or a little below it.I do exercise daily but I only burn anywhere between 200-600 calories depending on the day.I try to eat less calories on the low burn days.But truly, I may eat more protein than others,but I try to stay with healthy foods and the quality of food I eat is extremely nutitional.I hope this helps you to feel you are not the only one.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options

But, for something like iron, i need meat. Many people, without realizing it are unable to get enough iron from a plant based diet. 1. Because you have to eat a LOT of greens to get you rec. Daily intake and 2. A significant portion of the population lack an enzyme reqired to break down and properly absorb iron. Red meat HAS this enzyme, making iron absorption considerably easier. I guess that will prolly be dismissed as an extenuating circumstance tho.

And higher protien in your diet is recommended to help reduce lean muscle mass loss especially during a fast weight loss. (Someone who is obese loses much more quickly at first)
  • filletminyon
    Options
    I recommend that you try eating less "red meat" when consuming proteins and focus more on veggies, and "soy" protein. I've found that any vegetarian selection can help with the protein issue. At most grocery stores, they carry a product called "Morning Star" and some of the best things come in those boxes :) Riblets, burgers, even chicken nuggets, which are all packed with a good amount of protein, moderation and portion control is still advised, but when it comes to a healthier choice between red meat for protein, The soy products are the key. Also fish has many health benefits, start eating more fish. Fish has Omega fatty acids that are actually necessary for your body, which can take the place of protein, even when considering protein, anything packed with Omega fatty acids, are better for you.
  • winoverhealth
    Options
    I think a lot of us go over on our protein. Just try to stay with lean protein.