I am a personal trainer

Options

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Congrats on achieving your goals! That it totally awesome! It's good to know that there is someone here who actually KNOWS what they are talking about!
    No offense to the original poster, but Brandy, just because someone is certified in anything doesn't mean they know everything. I've talked to some CPTs in the pass and they didn't know they're a** from a hole in the ground. Anybody with some knowledge & a bit of experience can get certified for about $300.

Point of all this, be careful when asking for advice.

Wow, what a nasty thing to say to someone you don't even know.

It wasn't nasty at all. He's just saying be smart and do your homework when you look for a personal trainer. He's absolutely right that anyone can get certified. I'm sure Dixon knows his stuff but there's A LOT of people out there who don't.

So be careful.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Congrats on achieving your goals! That it totally awesome! It's good to know that there is someone here who actually KNOWS what they are talking about!
    No offense to the original poster, but Brandy, just because someone is certified in anything doesn't mean they know everything. I've talked to some CPTs in the pass and they didn't know they're a** from a hole in the ground. Anybody with some knowledge & a bit of experience can get certified for about $300.

Wow, what a nasty thing to say to someone you don't even know.

It wasn't nasty at all. He's just saying be smart and do your homework when you look for a personal trainer. He's absolutely right that anyone can get certified. I'm sure Dixon knows his stuff but there's A LOT of people out there who don't.

So be careful.

I don't think this person's point was nasty but the way they said it kind of was. You do have to be careful because there are a lot of personal trainer's who don't know their head from their @$$ but act like they do. That goes for any group of people though! lol
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Ouch...glad I don't take things personally.......
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It's like wiping before you poop, it just doesn't make sence!
    [/quote]

:huh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BamaRose0107
    Options

You are right about some proffesionals not knowing what they are talking about, but I don't think you went about making your point in the right way.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Good afternoon all, I have been on here for awhile now. I finally reached my goal and I decided to become a certified personal trainer. I am certified through ISSA!!! Love the job!! If any of you have any questions, please feel free to email me at candersontraining@yahoo.com

Congratulations!!! Its always nice when you can find a job that you love and are passionate about!
  • juicedo
    Options
    WHATS THE YOUNGEST AGE TO START ACTUALL WEIGHT LIFTING??
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Don't be so sensitive.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    [No offense to the original poster, but Brandy, just because someone is certified in anything doesn't mean they know everything. I've talked to some CPTs in the pass and they didn't know they're a** from a hole in the ground. Anybody with some knowledge & a bit of experience can get certified for about $300.

Point of all this, be careful when asking for advice. ]

Wow... way to shoot someone down! I was simply trying to make him feel good about his accomplishments! I do realize that just because you have the training, not everyone knows how to use it well. I've also seen people with NO perfessional training know a lot. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of comments on here that don't seem legit and it's nice to see someone who actually has been trained in the area. You wouldn't hire a plumber to fix your electrical problem so why would you listen to someone who doesn't have training in the area of health and fitness. It's like wiping before you poop, it just doesn't make sence!

I TOTALLY agree on this and he wasn't putting the original poster down at all. Personal trainers can get certified in as little as 6 classes. I know this for a fact because I teach the class. Do I think they know everything that they should?? Probably not. I've seen some trainers out there that are TRAINWRECKS. I wanna scream at their clients to run as far away as they possibly can!

He was just saying that make sure your do your homework on whoever you are giving your hard earned $$$$ to as far as training goes.

I agree with Iceprincess. They made it clear "no offense to the original poster" and their post was more directed towards Brandy's comment. I don't think they meant any harm towards the original poster at all. Okay my 2 cents, I'm done.
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    Dixon5000:
    Thanks for the reply! I will keep it up and see what happens.. I havent exercised truly since May of 2009. I only lost 8 pounds from Jan 09 - May 09 (5 MONTHS).... BUT im back on the wagon now.
    Started 01.11.10 !!
    The worst thing i do is splurge at dinner. :( Also last night i had will power! I could have made worse choices, So in the long run i feel good! :wink:
  • dixon5000
    dixon5000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Group, I take no offense to any comments on this site. I agree, you have to be careful on who you chose as your personal trainer. I would suggest asking people in the gym first on what they think of the person you are about to hire. I would also get his or here resume to at least see what experience they have training. Certificates are great to have, but me personally, I would trust someone who has spent years in the gym, and has made great changes in their physical appearance. A lot of my knowledge was gained by listening and learning from other weight lifters, runners and personal trainers over the years. Valuable information gained outside the classroom.
  • dixon5000
    Options
    I would say 13 yrs old with a parents consent. I did research on this, but I DO NOT advise this. My personal opinion.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the OP, any certification is awesome! :)
    Just make sure you keep learning. You don't want that certification to become what we call in IT a "paper certification" - meaning someone who has the certification but no real knowledge to back it up. The best way to do it is to keep using it!

Still, be proud, that's awesome that you took those steps and got the certification. We can always use more people on here who know their stuffs!
  • dixon5000
    Options
    I had a client once who I trained for a fitness comp. She too has Muscular legs.

Squatting is the quintessential leg and butt-building exercise. For the Pear shape girl, traditional squats are ill advised. I caution Pear shaped women to do wide-stance squats or plié squats, shifting the emphasis on your thighs and lower body. For the skinny or String Bean type, doing traditional squats is perfectly appropriate.

Cardio is integral along with a diet and proper strength training to maximize fat loss. You can achieve the greatest success with cardio by keeping it fresh (add variety to your workouts) and making sure that you do appropriate cardio exercise for your body type.

You also need to stick to cardio that will help you burn the maximum amount of calories in the time you have. For example, always pick the rowing machine over walking on the treadmill.
  • jennbissonnette
    Options
    Thanks love! Good thing i asked. I do a lot of squats!!! lol

-Jenn
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    WHATS THE YOUNGEST AGE TO START ACTUALL WEIGHT LIFTING??

Here is the official position of the American Academy of Pediatrics:

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/pediatrics;121/4/835

You can read the full report.

I believe the American College of Sports Medicine has a position paper as well, but I don't have the exact address.
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    Dixon5000
    You said "and making sure that you do appropriate cardio exercise for your body type."
    I have pictures posted on my page... Could you tell me my "body type" please?

I think its pear but ?
    if it is pear... what is the correct cardio for my body?
  • juicedo
    Options
    THANX
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all, I have been on here for awhile now. I finally reached my goal and I decided to become a certified personal trainer. I am certified through ISSA!!! Love the job!! If any of you have any questions, please feel free to email me at candersontraining@yahoo.com

Thank you so much :flowerforyou:
    I'm bumping you in my topics :)
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    [No offense to the original poster, but Brandy, just because someone is certified in anything doesn't mean they know everything. I've talked to some CPTs in the pass and they didn't know they're a** from a hole in the ground. Anybody with some knowledge & a bit of experience can get certified for about $300.

Point of all this, be careful when asking for advice. ]

Wow... way to shoot someone down! I was simply trying to make him feel good about his accomplishments! I do realize that just because you have the training, not everyone knows how to use it well. I've also seen people with NO perfessional training know a lot. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of comments on here that don't seem legit and it's nice to see someone who actually has been trained in the area. You wouldn't hire a plumber to fix your electrical problem so why would you listen to someone who doesn't have training in the area of health and fitness. It's like wiping before you poop, it just doesn't make sence!

I TOTALLY agree on this and he wasn't putting the original poster down at all. Personal trainers can get certified in as little as 6 classes. I know this for a fact because I teach the class. Do I think they know everything that they should?? Probably not. I've seen some trainers out there that are TRAINWRECKS. I wanna scream at their clients to run as far away as they possibly can!

He was just saying that make sure your do your homework on whoever you are giving your hard earned $$$$ to as far as training goes.

Then that's what he should have said, Instead of coming accross like a Mr. Nasty a**, He also didn't bother to check to see if maybe there's other experience behind him, which there is. I'm a Can fit pro certified personal trainer, which is a $700. course that I have to keep upgrading, yes it was a relatively easy course to get through, but I also have a maters degree in Physical education, I also compete, I bring alot to the table beside my bargain basement can-fit pro certification. So maybe instead of critiquing others' lives, consider what suggestions or actions can be truly helpful.